VF is over 10 years old! Where is everyone these days?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: VF is over 10 years old! Where is everyone these days?

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:15 pm

Holy crap!
I've been around for a while.

I've just not been on a land computer for a while, and thus my regular postings on VF have died out.

But I'm still training. A bit less than usual this year. But still training. (I head to the pool for a mid-day swim as soon as I finish this post.)

Of course, I'm still vegan. Strict vegan. And straight edge. And a dad. And married.

Update on me:

I moved from Ann Arbor, Michigan (and working in Detroit) to Eugene, Oregon, and working in Eugene, Portland, Corvallis, and Coos Bay (let's just say it's a lot of driving). I have a new, more "prestigious" and better paying job, but it's taking me a long time to figure out my bearings. I work out a lot less than in Michigan, and have a lot less time for family. But I'm slowly acclimating. I love my job, and most of my my co-workers, at least.

Eugene is much less of swim town than Ann Arbor, and I've quickly found myself as one the very fastest swimmers in the area... (even though I've gotten slower). This is a running town, and I still can't get the running bug. I try to bike in to work, but I've barely found time for the long bike rides I did in Michigan.

When I left Michigan, I had just won the top prize for the regional USAT (Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota) Aquabike (Swim 1500m, Bike 40k). It was the first race I won outright. But back in Oregon, I found no pure swims until this year. And I was totally broke from the the move.

I hope to get this turned around and finally do open water races this summer. I did two small tris, and was a miserable mess in both. Of course, I either won the swim or got third OA on the swim. But, as things go, that's really not how you win races.

I am on FB... a lot. It's easy on my phone. Hit me up there if any of you all want to keep in touch. If I start getting my act together, I'll post more often here too.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:17 am

Woohoo Rodolfo - thanks for checking in! It was nice to see you the other day and I hope that we hang out more often. :)
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby silver » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:52 am

Good to hear from you :)
Think of you often in the pool, your advice is still working :)
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby Linnéa76 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:15 am

[quote="loveliberate"]Thanks for the updates y'all! :)
I'd definitely love to meet up with you, Linnéa! Will you have some free time for exploring Portland and Cascadia? I hope so! :)

If you're willing to show me around a bit, I'll make sure to have the time! :) I'll get back to you per pm in September or so.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby soniczip » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:45 am

nice to see so may updates :-)
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Still alive, still vegan, still into walking and cycling, though I gave up running and took up smoking when my dad and four friends died last year. I am no longer interested in having a "healthy" lifestyle as I've seen too many people who look after their bodies and hardly drink alcohol die young. I'd rather look after my mental health and not worry about things.

TL;DR - I'm no longer interested in fitness.
Hiking Fox

Postby osric » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:59 am

Somehow I'm still around -- had a really rough patch for a few years with seemingly endless medical issues but I'm doing better now. Moved from Boston to Provincetown to try my hand at small-town life, and man was it a shock the first winter. I've adapted and now I love it here. I ride my bike all the time just puttering around town and along the bike paths through the dunes of the seashore.

Living in a fishing village is not the best environment to be vegan, but I make do. There's one nice market here that has lots of vegan food, but it's super upscale so I don't go there often. Got a community garden plot this year and managed to grow the nastiest, most bitter tasting kale you could imagine. I'm crossing my fingers that the tomatoes don't suffer the same fate.

Hoping to do some travel next spring, so I may end up wandering around Europe for a few weeks. Would definitely be fun to track down some VF folks to say hello in person!
"Persistence is your greatest weapon." - Quentin Crisp
osric

Postby athlegan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Hey all! Myself, I'm completely new here and I'm very thrilled to have found a forum full of likeminded people. Let alone learning it's been in existance fir 10+ years. Very cool! :)
athlegan
Site Admin

Postby xJimx » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Missed this thread previously. Rodolfo's post pretty much sums up my situation too:

[quote="xrodolfox"]
Of course, I'm still vegan. Strict vegan. And straight edge. And a dad. And married.

Approaching the big 4-0 but in better shape than ever - weight approx 90kg with abs just about visible (albeit partially concealed by bodyhair!).
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:58 am

Scrap my last post, I've quit smoking and got into Mixed Martial Arts and Kickboxing. Best stress-relief ever and the Dojo owners are vegan. I expect to fit again before too long...
Hiking Fox

Postby hoffmeister » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:25 am

Still working out a lot and of course still vegan. I work with adult education and have a vegan kid who's 1½ years now. I've not been boxing for a while but I do some running and lift a lot of weights.
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Previous

Return to General Discussion