Vegan Motorcycling

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan Motorcycling

Postby muchluv » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Hello all,

Recently I have been considering buying and learning to ride a motorcycle.

I am only interested in riding for leisure in quiet areas. I do not fancy using it for commuting and I am quite a risk adverse person so would what to avoid as much traffic as possible.

I wondered if any motorcycling VFers have

1) any advice or thoughts on riding that they'd like to share with someone in my position.

2) any advice on vegan motorcycling jackets, boots and gloves?..

Many thanks all!
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Re: Vegan Motorcycling

Postby blinki » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:08 pm

I had a bike a few years ago. I got a jacket and gloves off ebay no problem, synthetic stuff is really common. I just wore my hiking boots, I can't see any difference from having bike boots.

I was a terrible driver and that's why I stopped so I won't offer any general riding advice :p
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:22 pm

isn't a lot of motorcycle kit made out of lorica which is vegan
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby kallefs » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:35 am

Aerostitch makes vegan motorcycle gloves, they have 2 different pairs. One summer and one spring/summer/autumn. I have both pairs and really like them. You might want to go up a size if you order them.

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/glove ... vegan.html

For boots I have a pair of TCX. Cant find them on their site now but boots usually have a really good declaration of what they are made of. Basically, the more racing-inspired boot, the more vegan options. This also goes for the MX side of motorcycling. If you are planning on cruising on your pre-war Harley you might find it a bit difficult to find suitable boots :)

Jackets and trousers are easy but check a couple of extra times since bikers apparently need to have some leather put somewhere on their clothes.

Helmets shouldnt be any problem unless you go for one of the retro-style ones which usually have leather lining.

Also, take out the foam back protection in the jacket you buy, throw it away and buy a real back protection.

BUT the thing is, if you want to be safe you shouldnt even think about getting on a motorcycle. They are stupid, dangerous, unsafe and good for nothing. Just be aware of the dangers, that is involved. You are very, very unprotected. If you accept the risks it is however very funny and a pretty sure way of getting speeding tickets/revoked license.

Regarding the "only driving on sunny happy country-roads"-idea. Do you already have a license? Otherwise I would guess that you will have to ride in the not so pleasant part of traffic before getting it. Its also oretty good to know how to handle those situations before you get into them. Because sooner or later you are going to find yourself on a highway heading into a city centre and nowhere else to go.

But all in all I would very much recommend it, the best is if one or more of your mates also ride or find a group that you can tag along with since riding alone can get a bit boring.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Return to General Discussion