Where did everyone go?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Where did everyone go?

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:07 am

I have still been training, but got a bit distracted by other social media for a spell.

Thinking I might come back a bit more permanently though.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby mabli » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 am

A couple of years ago I suggested that vf uses the available grant funding for its running costs and uses its donations to sponsor up and coming athletes. This would have helped our community and brought much needed publicity.

I think you guys in control need to reconsider this suggestion if you're going to keep vf relevant in the future
mabli

Postby JS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 am

I dip in and out occasionally and kind of stopped reading as lots of people seemed to disappear so I'm just as guilty of the demise :( :(
I did try a training log once but sadly not too sure how they help me as I don't appear to train for anything in particular.
I don't FB or tweet etc - too much nonsense! :)
JS

Postby loveliberate » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:31 pm

I remain fond of the forum format and check in from time to time. I'll make a point to do so more often! :)
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby baldy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:37 pm

[quote="mabli"]A couple of years ago I suggested that vf uses the available grant funding for its running costs and uses its donations to sponsor up and coming athletes. This would have helped our community and brought much needed publicity.

I think you guys in control need to reconsider this suggestion if you're going to keep vf relevant in the future

VF runs mainly on the time donated by volunteers, the money we received from the grant and from donations is tiny, unfortunately we do not have a pot of cash sitting there we could use to sponsor athletes.

We are lucky though to have volunteers who give us there time, to accomplish amazing activism, way more than we could accomplish individually or even with a significant amount of funding. Plus personally I belief the work I do on VF is the best way I can use my time to promote veganism.

VF is certainly not dead though, it is a success, countless people have been inspired, made friends, met life partners, got married, been on amazing holidays, got jobs and talked a lot of trash because of the forum. The information contained in the forum is still publish on the internet and we get thousands of visitors every month, even if the number of posts is dropping off.

Forums in general are very 00's, everyone now is about social media so we are evolving with a FB group -> https://www.facebook.com/Veganfitness and presence of twitter.
VF is not just the forum either, we have the capability now to publish blog style updates on our landing page. Another project that runs under the umbrella of VF is www.greatveganathletes.com which is still growing, will probably overtake the forum in terms of traffic very soon.

Lets keep our heads up, long live Vegan Fitness, for the animals!

If anyone wants to volunteer please get in touch.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:58 am

The VF community is a great resource in all of its many incarnations: Many thanks to you Baldy and to all of the folks who have participated over the years!! :)

I'm far from convinced that forums are dead or that FB in particular is much of an alternative, particularly when it comes to conversing with and building connections between folks around the world. Also, I just glanced at the VF FB page and the last update was from March - compared to that, the forums have been considerably more active!
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:24 am

Someone mentioned this thread to me, so I thought I'd post in it, as I used to be a regular on here. I stopped visiting this forum for two reasons:

1. Besides hillwalking, I lost interest in fitness. I stopped finding the time to go running. I work longer hours and have big commitments at home.

2. I was made a moderator and tried to do a good, attentive job without being anal or interfering. When I saw a post in a thread about anorexia that expressed the view that all raw fooders have "an eating disorder" and deserve to die, I saw this as hateful and potentially upsetting, and I deleted it. Two of the other mods then criticised and harrassed me over every decision I made from then on, so I quit in disgust. I didn't consider the forum a safe or inclusive place and didn't want to have any more part in it. Interestingly, the person whose post I deleted was completely fine about it, when I emailed to tell them what I had done and why.

I'm glad VF is still here, but it isn't for me.
Hiking Fox

Postby runner » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:00 pm

I´ve moved a cuple of times. i still run guess I spend more time on facebook than VF.

Also there are no events any more. I do see many vegan sports grups at facebook.

Will try to post some more stuff at this site
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Shame we lost Hiking Fox, I liked your style hun.

For what it's worth I think that the friction and irreverence where what made the place so exciting at the start, but it would appear that some kind of critical mass was reached. Shame really. The forum format allowed for even the most lairy rows to reach closure if they ran for a while, whilst twitter and tumblr generally sound more like keyboard warriors shouting into the tubes most of the time...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Previous

Return to General Discussion