Where did everyone go?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Where did everyone go?

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 pm

It seems like a lot less people are participating in this forum these days, including a lot of beloved characters whose posts I've enjoyed reading over the years.

What happened?

Was there a 28 Days virus in Europe?
Last edited by beforewisdom on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beforewisdom

Re: Where did everyone go?

Postby XindestructibleX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:37 pm

The 28 Days virus hit kind of hard. Also people started getting houses and kids and such.
INDESTRUCTIBLE
XindestructibleX

Postby mo! » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:32 am

Ive been asking that myself the past weeks as well. It isnt fun, if no one is really talking besides their log....or even abandoning it. :?
mo!

Postby silver » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:10 am

hopefully, everyones out getting fitter...
'tis a touch ghost town on a lot of forums these days I think.

It's a shame because it's a more useful long term format than other social media alternatives :(
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby israel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:08 pm

[quote] It isnt fun, if no one is really talking besides their log....or even abandoning it. :?

i also think like this

[quote="israel"]One thing that might be helpful if you will ever have the time to do it in the future is to have one box saying "Latest Forum Topics" and another one below it saying "latest logs" - so they would be separated and not in the same place

i meant that in the front page there would be a box with just forum threads and not logs - if i remember right thats how it was in the past

its best people wont waste their time on the internet - but if they do - well its better they do it here (personally i stopped training so i stopped posting)
israel

Postby XindestructibleX » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:39 pm

(I quit training too, I simply perform physical labor when somebody asks for it - mostly moving and digging stuff!)
INDESTRUCTIBLE
XindestructibleX

Postby hakko » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Forums in general peaked years ago, didn't they? Before people moved on to FB etc (where vegan groups are doing pretty well).

I don't like the social media too much (too instant and repetitive, no real "depth" in discussions etc). But maybe a personal training log thread isn't the best available option, either?

I'm evaluating getting an overview log of my running, pretty automatically from data recorded by my GPS watch. Like this:

It even comes with a friendly bit of competition and a whole lot of other vegans also using it. I'm not surprised people use it instead of a forum? I guess there are similar sites for weight lifters etc?

But sadly, there's no VFW coming out of it.
hakko

Postby tal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Still here.

What tends to drive long term traffic is people maintaining training logs. It gets people logging in regularly and more likely to look and contribute to other postings. Unfortunately, for various reasons people have stopped either training or just updating their logs (myself included).

So if you want to help turn things around, start a training log and starting reading and commenting on other peoples ;)
tal

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:40 pm

[quote="hakko"]Forums in general peaked years ago, didn't they? Before people moved on to FB etc (where vegan groups are doing pretty well).

I think that is true, but I have found myself returning to web boards and I think other people might for the same reasons.

It is nice to post someplace where you know your messages will be anonymous, where there isn't a team of programmers working to datamine/spy every tidbit of information your write.
beforewisdom

Postby israel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:53 pm

[quote]It gets people logging in regularly and more likely to look and contribute to other postings.

i agree i also think - its also the best way to keep the old members here

just to be clear - no one misunderstood me but just in case someone will in the future - im just saying about the boxes that the logs still will show - just not as the main thing but bellow a box dedicated only for regular posts
israel

Postby sergio » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 pm

FB/twitah/whatever killed message boards.

Is that or everyone is injured.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:53 am

[quote="israel"] im just saying about the boxes that the logs still will show

Not sure what you mean here, do you mean the "Latest Forum Topics" box?

Personally I got a more intense job and moved, both of which have killed me training and free time to talk trash on the internet.
However the group of friends I have made on VF is still strong via more tradition methods.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby israel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:23 am

[quote]Not sure what you mean here, do you mean the "Latest Forum Topics" box?

yes - usually its something like 80% of the titles that are in that box that represent logs and not regular posts (and all this logs have the coolest and most interesting names - no match for the regular posts lol)
israel

Postby tal » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 pm

[quote="israel"]yes - usually its something like 80% of the titles that are in that box that represent logs and not regular posts (and all this logs have the coolest and most interesting names - no match for the regular posts lol)

It's the latest forum posts, it always has been. Training logs are forum posts, hence they show in the list.

If you want to see more regular forum posts with cool and interesting names, then you always have the option to start new threads!

A forum is only as good as the contributions made to it by its members.
tal

Postby israel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:33 pm

[quote]It's the latest forum posts, it always has been. Training logs are forum posts, hence they show in the list.

yes i know thats why im saying that its better to separate them - IF!! its easy to do so - im no expert i just put the suggestion on the table - in case its something that is easy to do

[quote]If you want to see more regular forum posts with cool and interesting names, then you always have the option to start new threads!

A forum is only as good as the contributions made to it by its members.

i agree though i did stop training so i cant really post about anything no more - i tryed to on other subject but its far from good posting (the name thing was just a joke on the bombastic titles the logs get :lol: had to mention it they are great )
my blog thats about simple recipes (vegan) :

http://reallysimplefood.blogspot.com/
israel

Next

Return to General Discussion