Calling all Swedes!

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Calling all Swedes!

Postby ORLYLOL » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Hej!

Some big changes are afoot for my wife and I. We have settled on our desire to relocate to Sweden.

My wife applied to grad school at Uppsala, so we'll be finding out soon whether she was accepted or not. Either way, Sweden is where we want to end up. To help things along, I've been looking for work in the Stockholm area. I've applied to a few jobs and exchanged emails with some employers already, so I think I'm off to a good start. We're also taking Swedish classes later this month.

I wanted to post here to reach out and see if anyone has any advice, contacts or any other help for finding work in Sweden. I've been working mostly in insurance the last 5 years or so in underwriting and actuarial. I'm very good with finance and data analysis.

I'd appreciate any help I can get and if you want more information from me, just ask!

Thanks!
"There is much that is difficult for the spirit, the strong, reverent spirit that would bear much: but the difficult and the most difficult are what its strength demands." - Nietzsche

"In all seriousness a beard will add 100 lbs. to your total instantly." - Brandon Lilly

http://veganforklift.blogspot.com/
ORLYLOL

Re: Calling all Swedes!

Postby ida » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Hej! Great that you are moving to Sweden and wonderful Uppsala. Most welcome! :) I am curious, why did you decide to come here?

The biggest problem I think is finding a place to live. The Uppsala and Stockholm real estate market is crazy. Hopefully you guys can get some student apartment in Uppsala (there are really nice two, three bedrooms apartments in Uppsala for students' and their families). I would say housing should be your number one priority. The traditional rental market is either super expensive or you need 10 years of queuing. If you have the possibility to start queuing for accommodation now already this is good. Everything is based on having a "personnummer" (social security number) but there might be alternative cues for international students coming to Uppsala.

I don't know much about how to find a job actually, depending on what you are looking for. I know that in my old job at a credit card company there were quite a few americans and british people who worked in middle management without knowing much Swedish, but most of them were these 2-year contract people who were on some kind of exchange. But it is definitely doable to work in Stockholm/Uppsala without being fluent in Swedish. At least to start with. Swedes really like speaking english :) Have you been in contact with any employment/recruitment agencies? I think that is perhaps the easiest way to get in touch with companies who are hiring english speaking people.

There are several groups on Facebook for people who have moved to Sweden from elsewhere full of tips of things to think about when moving here. As a local it is sometimes hard see the all the hurdles that you need to get over to access the Swedish society.

Good luck with the move! Hope you will like it here. Uppsala is so nice :)
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby loveliberate » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Hej!
Neat stuff ORLY - I wish you all the best! While I'm a dedicated Cascadian, living in Sweden sounds wonderful in so many ways and the country would certainly be one of my top choices anywhere were I wishing and able to relocate internationally. I'd definitely love to at least have an extended stay in the country someday... Of course the first step for me will be to swing be for a visit sometime!
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby ORLYLOL » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:59 pm

[quote="ida"]Hej! Great that you are moving to Sweden and wonderful Uppsala. Most welcome! :) I am curious, why did you decide to come here?[

Even before we went there, my wife and I were fascinated with Sweden: culture, scenery, etc. We went to Norway and Sweden two years ago and fell in love with the country. We went through Göteborg, Malmö and Stockholm. Although we had quite a bit go wrong with our trip, we absolutely fell in love with Sweden. Since then we've been researching life there and what things are really like. All the negatives we read about aren't really any concern for us (aside from the whole housing thing!). My wife is first generation American and her parents are Czech so she's already used to a more European lifestyle. For me, I really value the perspective of working to live instead of living to work, which is why I'm not all that suited to the states :D

[quote]
The biggest problem I think is finding a place to live. The Uppsala and Stockholm real estate market is crazy. Hopefully you guys can get some student apartment in Uppsala (there are really nice two, three bedrooms apartments in Uppsala for students' and their families). I would say housing should be your number one priority. The traditional rental market is either super expensive or you need 10 years of queuing. If you have the possibility to start queuing for accommodation now already this is good. Everything is based on having a "personnummer" (social security number) but there might be alternative cues for international students coming to Uppsala.

I've read this too. Without a personnummer it definitely seems tougher. We're trying to look outside of the main city and somewhere in between Uppsala and Stockholm along the E4. Hopefully, that will make things a little bit easier since most people are looking to be in the city.

[quote]
I don't know much about how to find a job actually, depending on what you are looking for. I know that in my old job at a credit card company there were quite a few americans and british people who worked in middle management without knowing much Swedish, but most of them were these 2-year contract people who were on some kind of exchange. But it is definitely doable to work in Stockholm/Uppsala without being fluent in Swedish. At least to start with. Swedes really like speaking english :) Have you been in contact with any employment/recruitment agencies? I think that is perhaps the easiest way to get in touch with companies who are hiring english speaking people.

I haven't contacted any agency as of yet. All the information on Arbetsförmedlingen looks like they only really help refugees. Do you know of any good recruiters to get in touch with? My first resource is jobsinstockholm.com which lists English speaking jobs. I've had some success there with applying to several positions. My goal is to become fluent in Swedish, but for now I'd need to start somewhere where I can use English as a primary. If you know anyone looking to hire someone, let me know ;)
[quote]
There are several groups on Facebook for people who have moved to Sweden from elsewhere full of tips of things to think about when moving here. As a local it is sometimes hard see the all the hurdles that you need to get over to access the Swedish society.

Good luck with the move! Hope you will like it here. Uppsala is so nice :)

I've mostly been reading people's blogs about their experiences. I've had a hard time finding groups to join. Do you know the names of some of them?

Thanks!
"There is much that is difficult for the spirit, the strong, reverent spirit that would bear much: but the difficult and the most difficult are what its strength demands." - Nietzsche

"In all seriousness a beard will add 100 lbs. to your total instantly." - Brandon Lilly

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:59 pm

[quote="loveliberate"]Hej!
Neat stuff ORLY - I wish you all the best! While I'm a dedicated Cascadian, living in Sweden sounds wonderful in so many ways and the country would certainly be one of my top choices anywhere were I wishing and able to relocate internationally. I'd definitely love to at least have an extended stay in the country someday... Of course the first step for me will be to swing be for a visit sometime!

You should definitely go! It's my favorite place that I've been to

ORLYLOL

Postby hoffmeister » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:06 am

Welcome!

I have no suggestions on what to do or stay but it is possible to get places to stay in Märsta, Knivsta or Upplands Väsy (home of Swedish heavy metal). Those places are easier then Uppsala and the rest of Stockholm. You find some place to rent second hand in those areas with surroundings.
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby ORLYLOL » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:11 pm

[quote="hoffmeister"]Welcome!

I have no suggestions on what to do or stay but it is possible to get places to stay in Märsta, Knivsta or Upplands Väsy (home of Swedish heavy metal). Those places are easier then Uppsala and the rest of Stockholm. You find some place to rent second hand in those areas with surroundings.

Thanks for the tips. I had looked at Knivsta and Upplands Väsy, but not Märsta so I'll keep that in mind :mrgreen:

The biggest thing I'm trying to focus on is finding work, so if anyone else has tips or can put me into contact with someone, I'd appreciate it!

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Almost a year later! I've been in Sweden for just over 5 months now and successfully found work in Stockholm. I haven't been training for almost a year and it has taken its toll in the form of losing 20kg and most of my strength :(

However, I'm checking out a gym on Thursday (Stockholms Atletklubb) on Thursday so hopefully that will work out and I can get back to it!

ORLYLOL

Postby Linnéa76 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:31 am

Hey Orlylol, good to hear you're settling in! Did you like the gym? There's also a powerlifting gym with strongman equipment that I heard of recently, I think in Skarpnäck, someone in the friendface group Vegan Strength Sweden goes there (check it out, posting in English is fine :))
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby ORLYLOL » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Is that "Extreme Power"? I've read about that one and thought about checking it out too. It's too far out for me to go while living in Uppsala, but hopefully I'll be moving into Stockholm soon and will be close enough to go. Once I have a good base of strength back I want to try out some strongman stuff too :)

ORLYLOL

Postby Linnéa76 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:23 am

I don't know the name, am travelling atm but when I get back I'm keen to have a look. Would like to see vegan lifting meet-ups in Stockholm! Didn't realize you live in Uppsala, there's vegan lifters there too like Bronco, have you met? :)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby ORLYLOL » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:47 am

I went to one gym in Uppsala, but didn't feel like I fit in all that much and it was a bit too crowded. I'm actually moving down to Solna which will make my commute much better and I started going to Stockholms Atletklubb which has worked out well so far. I would love to see a vegan lifting meet-up in Stockholm! I also want to go to a VF week now that I'm over on this side of the ocean :D

ORLYLOL

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Awesome! I think there's potential for Vegan Strength Sweden meet-ups and hopefully comps and PR events in the future, like our accomplished friends in Germany and Australia. :) I'm travelling atm, but pm me if you want to connect on social media.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Return to General Discussion