VF Web Site Suggestions

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

VF Web Site Suggestions

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:40 pm

This seemed like the most appropriate place to post a suggestion where there was a "New Topic" button available. Admins, please feel free to move it.

Suggestions:

1. Please make it so that hyperlinks are underlined and possibly in a bright color. In the current theme such links are hard to notice.

2. Please make other colored themes available. Some with slightly brighter colors. No disrespect intended, the current one if kind of grim.

3. Have a special subboard available for posting web site issues. It will keep all of the ideas in one place :)

4. It is much better that the fonts in the signatures are different than the fonts in the content. Please run with the idea, but make the font choice for the signatures less visually prominent than the content fonts. I find my eyes falling to the signatures first, instead of ignoring them for the content.
beforewisdom

Re: VF Web Site Suggestions

Postby baldy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:46 pm

It was decided to use a default phpBB theme to make it easier for use to manage the forum. Of course this theme is not perfect for everyone but we are relying on phpBB to have made good design decisions. We have made only a few small "essential" changes to the default theme and really don't want to mess with it too much so that we can easily keep the site updated.

Having a selection of themes would be great, but the reality is we do not have enough volunteers to implement and maintain it. Making too many changes will simply dig a hole for ourselves when the next release comes out.

Facebook only has 1 theme and they do ok?

I agree lots of stuff could be tweaked in the current theme, suggestions are very welcome. What is even more welcome than suggestions is volunteers to help work on the site.
You don't even need to have CSS skills, anything you can do takes the load off other people so they can potentially work on improving the theme.

At the moment, we are looking for people to help with web dev, writing/proof reading articles, manage facebook and social media.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:10 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]This seemed like the most appropriate place to post a suggestion where there was a "New Topic" button available. Admins, please feel free to move it.

Suggestions:

3. Have a special subboard available for posting web site issues. It will keep all of the ideas in one place :)

Just stickying this thread and slightly changing the title (to suggestions and bugs) would do the trick too :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby israel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:39 pm

One thing that might be helpful if you will ever have the time to do it in the future is to have one box saying "Latest Forum Topics" and another one below it saying "latest logs" - so they would be separated and not in the same place
israel

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:52 pm

"if you will ever have the time to do it in the future" :lol:

That post was written when we were a bit more ambitious

it's basically just me (and Talyn who helps moderate) at the this point and I'm happy if i can keep it online at this point.

Others are welcome to chip in. Just shout.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Return to General Discussion