VF needs legal consult(s) volunteer(s) (one hour a month)

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

VF needs legal consult(s) volunteer(s) (one hour a month)

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:20 pm

We are looking for volunteers to help give one hour of their time a month (max) to help us anticipate and avoid any possible legal issues as we continue to develop the site. In non-urgent cases (which are almost all of them) other site staff would compile a series of questions that would be emailed once a month (e.g. suppose we might have a proposed move in member registration that we might be worried would fall foul of data protection laws in the UK. Please note that is a fictional example).

Ideally this would be someone with professional qualifications in law.

Let me stress again this is one hour a month maximum (I will see to it that it doesn't go above that) but would be a huge help to the site.

If you don't have the qualifications but still would like to help then please PM me anyway.

It is a great opportunity to get involved with VF:
- Work on a large website
- Develop your skills
- Effective activism
plus you get to work with the amazing people that run VF!

apologies to Baldy for stealing his format and some of his ad
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: VF needs legal consult(s) volunteer(s) (one hour a month

Postby loveliberate » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Baldy,
I think you should seek legal representation in response to the muppet stealing your ideas. Probably best to sue VF and all Vegans too...
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Someone would sue VF???
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby blinki » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm

[quote="Fallen_Horse"]Someone would sue VF???

I'm fairly sure you couldn't because VF isn't (as far as I know) an incorporation of any sort so it isn't legally recognised as a body. If it isn't a legal body it doesn't exist to get sued so everyone will just have to sue each other directly
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:47 pm

JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:17 pm

People most certainly could sue VF, but sueing is expensive. What they would probably do is find out who is the registered domain holder and approach them to remove offensive content. If no joy, they could ask the site hosts to take it down. Somewhere along the line, there will be a paper trail of who "owns" this forum and is responsible for the content on it. They will have the same kind of legal status as a TV broadcaster or print publisher.

Basically, loads of sites get taken down or threatened with legal action due to copyright breaches, libel etc. It's common and getting more common.

I have (some) legal qualifications, but I have learned the hard way not to volunteer!
Hiking Fox

Return to General Discussion