Lance Armstrong - Plant based diet?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Lance Armstrong - Plant based diet?

Postby Konstantin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Excerpt from a web article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/29 ... Hes_On_The

HPC: Do you have a certain way you approach food?

LA: I didn’t for a long time until about a month ago until I started messing around with this new diet.

HPC: What changed?

LA: I started swimming again, and I swim with a guy [ed's note: former triathlete Rip Esselstyn] who started basically a food program called the Engine 2 Diet, which is a plant-based, 100% natural, organic diet. His dad was a famous cardiologist who did Forks Over Knives, and was President Clinton’s doctor. Clinton has gone to a completely vegan diet and he’s essentially erased his heart disease.

It’s basically whole grains, different types of beans, kale salad with creative alternatives for dressing. They’ll bring out something that looks like a brownie, but it’s not a brownie … though it tastes a bit like a brownie. So I did it for one day, then two days. Then I branched out and started doing it at breakfast and lunch. I still insist that I get to do whatever I want for dinner. But it’s made a significant difference in just in a month.

HPC: What kind of difference?

LA: Energy level. Even when you’re training really hard, it’s normal that you would have certain things for lunch or certain things for breakfast, and then have this dip, or almost like a food coma … I don’t experience that anymore. My energy level has never been this consistent, and not just consistent, but high. I’m a big napper -- I couldn’t even take a nap these days if I wanted to.

The other thing -- I expected to get rid of that dip, but I didn’t expect the mental side of it, and the sharpness and the focus that I’ve noticed. And I was the biggest non-believer, I was like ‘whatever man’, and I’m in. I’m not doing dinners yet, but breakfast and lunch, I’m in.

HPC: Do you think it’s pretty sustainable?

LA: If I were to stay in Austin, it’s very sustainable. It’s harder when you get on the road, of course -- I mean, you walk out that door and breakfast is sitting there. None of that [muffins, croissants, etc.] is on the Engine 2 diet. So it gets harder and harder. But you can even travel with stuff. Breakfast is not hard, you bring your cereal and then you go to the store and buy almond milk, you buy bananas to put on top of it. If you plan, then it’s possible.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Lance Armstrong - Plant based diet?

Postby Big Good Wolf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:16 am

That's not entirely clear to me.
Is he just vegan for the first two meals of the day and not the third ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:29 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:That's not entirely clear to me.
Is he just vegan for the first two meals of the day and not the third ?

That's what it sounds like. And I am VERY happy that he has publicly progressed that far!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby baldy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 am

I am amazed that Lance Armstring talks about low energy levels, surely his energy levels must be pretty good to begin with?
Smells a little like he or his mate is about to publish a new book and building up hype.

Lance wrote:breakfast is not hard, you bring your cereal and then you go to the store and buy almond milk, you buy bananas to put on top of it. If you plan, then it’s possible.

Seems like a sensible enough breakfast and cool to know that he is also a big napper.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 am

its all relative, for layperson his energy levels are probably sky high, but as a top athlete always looking to improve.

Its probably placebo, but if it ends up saving some meat consumption, i am all for it :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 am

JP wrote:its all relative, for layperson his energy levels are probably sky high, but as a top athlete always looking to improve.

Exactly, his bad, low-energy performance would have us amazed.

The 'third day' thing I interpreted as this: 'I tried it for a day, then a second day, and decided carry on. Then I decided to do it for 2 meals and do my own thing at dinner.'

Which means he isn't there yet. But a great start.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby nomeat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:59 pm

I also think it is important that a popular person brings up the topic in public. It should be discussed way more and without prejudices. And it is good for people to see what athletes can do by living that way. It is the same with many other branches, many people scorn medical research but are equally happy, when the can get treatments once they are ill. An antibody study for example can bring about new results in the treatment of diseases like diabetes - and that's due to research.
nomeat

Return to General Discussion