Supersoil---Is it Vegan?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Supersoil---Is it Vegan?

Postby jamesndawson » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:41 am

In 2009, 2010 and 2011 I grew a garden----tomatoes, string beans, cilantro, greens, lettuce, cabbage, peppers...Nothing very impressive. I'm stilling learning, and slowly. I'm reading Garden for Complete Idiots (or something like that).
In a post a couple years ago i said I didn't want to use any Supersoil, but this year I'm thinking of doing something quite a bit smaller, using pots or planter boxes. Many of my lawn & garden clients, mostly elderly, just used Supersoil in big pots.
Is Supersoil vegan? If not, is there a commercial planting soil that is, that can be bought at a store like Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, etc?
I know I can just dig up my own soil, but I'd like to avoid as much work as possible. Thanks.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Supersoil---Is it Vegan?

Postby vincentxanthony » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:05 pm

If you're just using soil like that to get a garden started, I would stay away from it in general. You never know the manure content, and where it came from. If you can get a very basic soil from anywhere, and put in some earthworms to tend to your garden, or even start composting it would work just as well as enriched store bought soil, and save money in the long run.
vincentxanthony

Return to General Discussion