Bill Maher & The Woman With 19 Children

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Bill Maher & The Woman With 19 Children

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:49 pm

The United States is preparing for a new Presidential Election. The Republicans ( the right wing party ) have an extreme right wing candidate called Rick Santorum. Recently, a woman associated with him, Michelle Duggars, who has 19 children, publicly stated that overpopulation "is a lie".

Bill Maher is a combination comedian and political commentator.

The video below shows his very funny response to this woman, along with an inspiring bit about him mentioning how the world can't handle more people if they are going to be meat eaters and car drivers.

Last edited by beforewisdom on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Bill Maher & The Woman With 19 Children

Postby Konstantin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Love it!

"This is not in the bible, it's science so it's probably bullshit..."
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby NatB » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:30 pm

And dare I say it but the ones that breed, shouldn't!
NatB

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Ah, Bill Mahar. Too much like PETA these days. Over-the-top and too blinded by one opinion to see straight. He is the liberal version of Rush Limbaugh, full of vitriol and spite. He can still be funny sometimes, at least. I much prefer Jon Stewart though.

I can't watch the clip due to being at work; hopefully it is not his usual shouting rant? :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, the Duggars are idiots. That much is certain.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Goob » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 pm

I hate those people. The oldest of the kids is breeding now and has the same fucked up idea that they are supposed to have as many children as possible.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby wannalift » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 am

Fallen_Horse wrote:Ah, Bill Mahar. Too much like PETA these days. Over-the-top and too blinded by one opinion to see straight. He is the liberal version of Rush Limbaugh, full of vitriol and spite. He can still be funny sometimes, at least. I much prefer Jon Stewart though.

I can't watch the clip due to being at work; hopefully it is not his usual shouting rant? :)

That's a rather poor summation of Bill Maher. I'll skip over his involvement with PETA, but comparing him to any of the right wing propaganda machines catering to the lowest common denominator is without merit. Jon Stewart is funny, but take away the laughs and there is almost nothing there at all. You can't say the same for Maher.

Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:25 am

Sure, he has useful things to say, but (again, like PETA) he loses any hope of communicating with anyone besides his inner circle of devout followers due to his poor delivery and attitude problems. He is closed off to any ideas other than his own and vicariously attacks anything he disagrees with. There is no middle ground, very much like the conservative pundits. Of course, I would prefer him over Limbaugh or Hannity, but a talking head is still just a talking head, whether they are pandering to a liberal viewer base or a conservative one. A few examples:

http://www.newser.com/story/142524/hey-bill-maher-dont-knock-civility.html

http://www.newser.com/story/136316/bill-maher-in-hot-water-after-vile-tim-tebow-tweet.html

http://www.newser.com/story/104354/bill-maher-defends-islam-comments.html

http://www.newser.com/story/25196/pundits-pontificating-draws-fire.html

I also disagree with your thoughts on Stewart, but I don't feel the need to defend him. Take him or leave him. :)
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 am

I don't think that Bill Mahr is by any means a clever pundit that should be taken seriously. He's a pompous ass most of the time. He thinks he is rational, when often, he's full of logical fallacies.

However, there is a glut of that sort of crap on TV, and the right has a near monopoly on it.

It is nice that Mahr is critical of eating meat, but that's one sunny spot on his BS train. For example, I'm an atheist just like him, but his movie was a rambling mess that framed atheism solely as a vindictive reaction of religiosity. Even his atheism seems badly reasoned, and from my perspective, that is nearly impossible... but he did it.

And to top it off, he's often sexist and unfunny and often exhibits classism. He's not much of an ally.

The video on him ranting on the Santorum supporter who had 19 children is on that same vein.

Mahr behaves like he is speaking truth to power when he is unsavory, but in reality he barely says anything radical; instead he is just unsavory and from the general vicinity of the left. meh. Pop Media.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 am

wannalift wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:Ah, Bill Mahar. Too much like PETA these days. Over-the-top and too blinded by one opinion to see straight. He is the liberal version of Rush Limbaugh, full of vitriol and spite. He can still be funny sometimes, at least. I much prefer Jon Stewart though.

That's a rather poor summation of Bill Maher. I'll skip over his involvement with PETA, but comparing him to any of the right wing propaganda machines catering to the lowest common denominator is without merit. Jon Stewart is funny, but take away the laughs and there is almost nothing there at all. You can't say the same for Maher.

One of my most favourite of his clips :D !!!

Thank You!

beforewisdom

Postby muchluv » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm

NPH has got old! haha!
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:19 pm

muchluv wrote:NPH has got old! haha!

NPH?

beforewisdom

Postby muchluv » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 pm

What does Doogie Houser have to do with the Bill Maher clip?

beforewisdom

Postby muchluv » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:00 pm

He looks like an older NPH, dont you recon?
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Return to General Discussion