Rant zone

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Rant zone

Postby mabli » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 am

Just want somewhere I can off load my daily grouches...

Today!

Folk in animal rights movement who go on demos and lecture folk but who aren't vegan and eat fish

Folk who assume just cos I'm vegan I'll be sympathetic to their made up chrystal weilding kaftan wearing quack diagnosed allergies... this last one inspired by a woman i met on Saturday whose list of allergies included water but who was finding homeopathy a big help...
mabli

Re: Rant zone

Postby Konstantin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:41 am

Yes, I'll agree with that. Demos are apparently the only thing that goes on in AR, and to many people there's only one campaign/organisation within the AR world that matters.

And what's this about juggling? People assuming that if you're into animal rights you must also be into juggling? And busking.

[/rant]
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:57 am

mabli wrote:Folk who assume just cos I'm vegan I'll be sympathetic to their made up chrystal weilding kaftan wearing quack diagnosed allergies... this last one inspired by a woman i met on Saturday whose list of allergies included water but who was finding homeopathy a big help...

+ 1

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:02 pm

We've got to lose the whole vegan = alternative connection.
It's not easy when even the West Midlands Vegan Fayre has talks on hippy nonsense like "The Miracle of Fasting for Supreme Health & vitality & the magic of Apple Cider Vinegar" and "The Way of the Essenes With Julian Haynes, who lived for three years in the jungle learning Amazonian Shamanism and building a pyramid."
If I could be bothered to research the subject, I'd go to these talks just to heckle them.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:14 pm

I completely agree with you.

However, you can't control other people. You can't pass a law preventing people who would embarrass veganism from calling themselves vegan. I think the better approach is not to give those views oxygen by paying attention to them and be actively involved with showing people what you, as a vegan, are about.

beforewisdom

Postby Talyn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:35 pm

beforewisdom wrote:I completely agree with you.

However, you can't control other people. You can't pass a law preventing people who would embarrass veganism from calling themselves vegan. I think the better approach is not to give those views oxygen by paying attention to them and be actively involved with showing people what you, as a vegan, are about.

I completley agree with your standpoint of not giving hippies oxygen.

Wait what?

:wink:
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:42 pm

No offense to anyone, but I find raw foodists who are into cakes, pies, etc to be a bit ironic. Having those things seem to be at cross purposes of the reasons why people become raw foodists.

beforewisdom

Postby kallefs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:11 pm

beforewisdom wrote:No offense to anyone, but I find raw foodists who are into cakes, pies, etc to be a bit ironic. Having those things seem to be at cross purposes of the reasons why people become raw foodists.

Kind of like vegans and their fake meat :wink:
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 pm

mabli wrote:...whose list of allergies included water but who was finding homeopathy a big help...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:55 am

kallefs wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:No offense to anyone, but I find raw foodists who are into cakes, pies, etc to be a bit ironic. Having those things seem to be at cross purposes of the reasons why people become raw foodists.

Kind of like vegans and their fake meat :wink:

Um, no.

Vegans, people who believe it is wrong to exploit animals, don't eat meat because they don't want to kill any animals to eat.

Raw foodists are supposedly so serious about getting a superior state of health that they eschew many foods to get the best possible unadulterated nutrition...........so it doesn't make much sense to turn around and have a chochlate cake or soy ice cream after making those sacrifices. You can't tell me a slice of pie is less objectionable than a potato.

beforewisdom

Postby skoptic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:04 am

beforewisdom wrote:Raw foodists are supposedly so serious about getting a superior state of health that they eschew many foods to get the best possible unadulterated nutrition...........so it doesn't make much sense to turn around and have a chochlate cake or soy ice cream after making those sacrifices. You can't tell me a slice of pie is less objectionable than a potato.

I might go raw just 'cause I can't be arsed to cook ;) .. and I love cake!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby etherspin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Big Good Wolf wrote:We've got to lose the whole vegan = alternative connection.
It's not easy when even the West Midlands Vegan Fayre has talks on hippy nonsense like "The Miracle of Fasting for Supreme Health & vitality & the magic of Apple Cider Vinegar" and "The Way of the Essenes With Julian Haynes, who lived for three years in the jungle learning Amazonian Shamanism and building a pyramid."
If I could be bothered to research the subject, I'd go to these talks just to heckle them.

In Melbourne we are winning at the hippy elimination I think, to my eyes WVD 2011 looked like it was made up of 30% neutral, 25% punkish,25% hipster and 20% hippy wacko style . The course of time will weed the wackos out cause as I've claimed before, the hippyish are usually half arsed in their type of vegetarianism, they will still wear organic tie died alpaca jumpers, old leather sandals , eat honey etc they don't in my experience use a great deal of clear thinking rationality so their veganism is not often complete anyways.
etherspin

Postby Goob » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Hippies do suck.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby muchluv » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Irritating, small little ambigous ingredients in seemingly vegan food. Like 'flavourings' or in this case 'sherry vinegar' - vinegar made from sherry. Sherry, if I remember correctly is usually not vegan. This being in a product from Marks and Spencer which I was given - and wasn't on the vegan societys list - but for all I know could be new so might be vegan just not on the list >: [ :evil:
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby mabli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 am

muchluv wrote:Irritating, small little ambigous ingredients in seemingly vegan food. Like 'flavourings' or in this case 'sherry vinegar' - vinegar made from sherry. Sherry, if I remember correctly is usually not vegan. This being in a product from Marks and Spencer which I was given - and wasn't on the vegan societys list - but for all I know could be new so might be vegan just not on the list >: [ :evil:
which is nearly as bad as long term vegan foods suddenly having random lactose or whey ingredients such as ice cream cones, after 8 mints, dark choc digestives etc etc grrrr!
mabli

Next

Return to General Discussion