Vegan Society magazine vegans and sport

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan Society magazine vegans and sport

Postby Rochellita » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:35 pm

I'm going to be writing some content plus pics for the Vegan Society magazine (well I hope so, they're happy to accept it but the Council of trustees have to approve all content) and hopefully get a regular column of some kind in there. Vegan Runners is well-represented but the mag doesn't tend to cover much else in the way of sport.

So I'm going to write a bit about some of the sporting achievements of various forum members and non-members, pro and amateur, competing nationally or locally. I know a few of you have competed in recent months Hannibal, Joel from MVS, JP, Devil's Plaything, shellie. Who am I missing, please let me know if you want to be included? If I leave someone out it's not deliberate. An obvious non-board member who has not competed recently is Mac Danzig. Then we have Dave Zabriskie who has gone vegan but not sure if he has competed since then. How about other pro-cyclists like Christine Varados? There's Rob Bigwood in armwrestling.

I'm not sure what the deadline is yet but I'll post it here when I do.

Thanks for your help.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Re: Vegan Society magazine vegans and sport

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:45 am

I'm still not a Vegan society member, so I don't know what's in the magazine.
Is Fruitbat's column not still going ?
Will this be something similar ?
Sounds like a good idea anyway.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Rochellita » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:48 am

I think Fruitbat wrote for it a few of times some years ago and then stopped doing it. It'll be the same sort if thing.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby shellie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:12 am

Yes I don't mind, am flattered that you would put me in it but if it inspires any other clumsy non sporty people to get out there and do something they enjoy then great!
shellie

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:12 pm

I just joined the Vegan society so I can read your column.
It had better be worth it. :D
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby xJimx » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Looks like you've got the main players covered there flux. IMO there's been loads of stuff about fit vegans, what we need is something about BIG vegans, therefore folk like your better half, Joel & Rob etc are ideal :)
DYEL
xJimx

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Johnstuff went over to Egypt this year to compete in a free-diving competition. Kind of cool!

And Graham up there ^ well he came third in the Midlands Trailquest series and is always racing MTB enduros and getting pretty decent results.
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby JP » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:35 pm

BGW is a legend - ON THE LIST! :D

Did Fiona Oakes just win some big run too? Or is that covered in the vegan runners bit? (shouldnt really be a separate thing just for running...)

jim is right, lack of big vegans - not that there are that many :D I am currently fighting .flux to not to include me in though... maybe after some springs UK based comps again. I havent achieved fuck all recently :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:55 am

Ha ha, a legend. I think my best race result was something like 10th/48 in a 12 hour overnight race.
It would be nice to get a mention at the bottom, but I don't think I'm headline material.

It would be good to work through the Vegan Athletes thread list.
Some of the athletes on there are pro, or at least supported. I'm sure they would welcome the opportunity to mix promoting veganism with getting media exposure for their sponsors.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby JP » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:24 am

some day i will make the vegan athletes list :x

i think its good to mix the top dog headline achievements and then more grassroots efforts.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Johnstuff » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:34 am

downhillingdemon wrote:Johnstuff went over to Egypt this year to compete in a free-diving competition. Kind of cool!

I did indeed :) I'm more than happy to provide a write up and pics etc. I think freediving is one of the most amazing 'sports' ever!
"these songs of guidance never stop the violence, we need strong defiance"
Johnstuff

Postby Rochellita » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:46 am

John, can you PM me a nice high res photo or 2 please and a summary of what you did? I don't have enough space for a very detailed write-up yet unfortunately but the responses here have thrown up so many possibilities. BGW could you do the same please?
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:24 am

.flux wrote:I'm going to be writing some content plus pics for the Vegan Society magazine (well I hope so, they're happy to accept it but the Council of trustees have to approve all content)

Good luck; charity trustees can be infuriatingly stuck in their ways and that lot are certainly no exception. I hope you still have the same amount of hair after a few months.
Hiking Fox

Postby Clem Snide » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:00 am

Cool, great news.
Clem Snide

Postby mabli » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:23 pm

I think its brilliant, use loads of photos :-)
mabli

Next

Return to General Discussion