Did I do the right thing?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Did I do the right thing?

Postby honfour » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Okay, some background information: I'm completely estranged from my family (not by choice) but my mom's tried to reconcile lately so I thought I'd entertain her request for having lunch together.

In the car, I tell her I don't eat meat, including fish, and she thinks it's because I joined a cult (lul!). Knowing this, at the restaurant, she orders me something she thought was vegetarian. I ate some of it before I saw there was bits of meat at the bottom and I'm sat there completely stunned and tell her, "There's meat in here," and she replies, "Just take it out." At the end of the "meal," the meat-portion of my lunch was left alone.

I know the best solution would've been not to get into that kinda situation in the first place. But, assuming the food was thrown into the trash after we left, did I do the right thing? I feel like I did something wrong by just letting the food go to waste. What would you have done?
honfour

Re: Did I do the right thing?

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:44 am

I'd have done the same thing.

I'm vegan for mostly for political and animal rights reasons... but I sure would feel horrible letting animal flesh get in my body willingly. Mistakes happen, but eating leaving it for bacteria to consume later would rest better on my conscience. Otherwise, I'd be a "freegan", which is another whole discussion.

I think you did the right thing.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:46 pm

You did the right thing. Without a doubt !

I wouldn't have touched it, after I'd seen meat in it. Don't compromise your principals !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby vegan hal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm curious, why didn't YOU order your meal? it's easy enough to ask the waiter which is vegan or can be made vegan.
vegan hal

Postby etherspin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:59 am

we aren't precious , we are just human, if your mum found some pieces of cat or another domesticated animal in her food she would at least not touch it, at worst , instantaneously vomit and scream at the staff. we just feel the same way in a more consistent fashion :lol:
etherspin

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:25 am

From her message I reading that she didn't eat any of the food that had meat touching...
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby honfour » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm

vegan hal wrote:I'm curious, why didn't YOU order your meal? it's easy enough to ask the waiter which is vegan or can be made vegan.

Ah, that's funny actually. I barely speak her language and she barely speaks English (almost makes conversations a workout in itself). The place she took us falls into the latter category -- the kinda place that doesn't even have menus...

And I really appreciate the personal insights given here, thanks everyone :)
honfour

Return to General Discussion