what's your body fat percentage?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: what's your body fat percentage?

Postby seasiren » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:02 pm

[quote="vegan hal"]me, i have no clue my BF%. heck, i don't even know my weight. would like to find out both someday.

lol, same here on BF anyway. It doesn't matter for me, 12% on one person looks diff that 12% on another, and most methods are not accurate. When I go to stage it's how much skin I can grab and how I look.
seasiren

Postby erske » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Did a impedance measurement a couple of years back, was around 11%, figure I'm about the same now.
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby slodki » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:31 pm

16 is low for a woman, but it was 12 when i was 17...
slodki

Postby mabli » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Well Im a whopping 17% thanks to my enormous boobs lol
mabli

Postby ultra_whippet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:35 pm

5%. Although I did bulk up to 6 a while back..... :lol:
ultra_whippet

Postby Alistar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:43 am

[quote="vegan hal"][quote="Alistar"]

I imagine I'd be around 12%. Quite glad I've put a bit of weight on recently as I was too light before. Feel a lot stronger because of it.

i dunno. from your avatar (photo), you look a little more than 12%. :P

Yeah I might look fat but I can assure you its all muscle! ...Thats what my wife tells me anyway :cry:
Alistar

Postby chronyx » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 pm

[quote="mabli"]Well Im a whopping 17% thanks to my enormous boobs lol

Same here!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chronyx

Postby wannalift » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Around 12% at the moment. Currently trying to bulk up as I lost a lot of upper body strength/muscle from a 6-month shoulder impingement. Got about 85% of my strength back and starting to do complexes again to get my conditioning up. Hope to be over 100% in terms of strength and around 8% bf by the fall.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby ninearms » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:46 pm

[quote="wannalift"]Around 12% at the moment. Currently trying to bulk up as I lost a lot of upper body strength/muscle from a 6-month shoulder impingement.

All the best with that - I had the same problem at the end of 2008/early 2009 which left me unable to press an empty bar overhead without a tendon snapping over bone. Worked out well in the end though, as it made me reassess a few things and be more vigilant with prehab work. I'm now approaching a bodyweight strict press which is massive progress for a historically-poor presser like me.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby divergirl » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:18 am

Well I do know the answer to this Q actually cos I just did my 12 week challenge at the gym and we did body fat measurements (caliper pinches + tape measure) each month throughout the challenge. I lost a whopping 7.5% body fat during the 12 weeks wahoo - and now sit at a respectable 23.5%. I was shocked to find at the beginning that I was just under the obese range for body fat % for my age - eeeek. Now in the healthy fitness range, happy with that but hoping to go down as I build muscle.

I do agree tho that what looks good on one person might look totally different on another. It all indicates a measure of health. One point to note with caliper measuring - we had different personal trainers at one of the measuring days - diff results that week - as in waaaay diff for some people - 9cm's more in pinch tests for some. It's important to stick with the same person measuring and/or the exact same place for measuring otherwise the results can get skewed!

I hope to measure again after I've been at it on my own for about 3 months to check progress.....
Diving into the blue again......

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Winners do things that losers just won't.
divergirl

Postby wannalift » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:52 pm

[quote="ninearms"][quote="wannalift"]Around 12% at the moment. Currently trying to bulk up as I lost a lot of upper body strength/muscle from a 6-month shoulder impingement.

All the best with that - I had the same problem at the end of 2008/early 2009 which left me unable to press an empty bar overhead without a tendon snapping over bone. Worked out well in the end though, as it made me reassess a few things and be more vigilant with prehab work. I'm now approaching a bodyweight strict press which is massive progress for a historically-poor presser like me.

Yeah, I was about the same in terms of starting strength. I started doing raises (front/side/rear) at 5 lbs for sets of 20 and seriously went up 1/2 lb per session over 12 weeks or so. A standing bodyweight overhead press (a traditionally weak lift for me as well) seems so far off as I'm still only around 75% of the way there. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my shoulder doesn't give out on me as I've had almost no setbacks except while doing some LIGHT (emphasis added) overhead squats in which my good shoulder felt like it was going to pop out afterward, sigh.

As for the conditioning, I've been doing well with either complexes or finishers after most of my workouts over the past few weeks. At the very least I'll walk on an incline treadmill at a brisk pace for 15-20 minutes at the end of a strength session. Body is tightening up at a respectable rate while still getting a surplus of calories to fuel my muscles and still getting stronger.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby Euphoric » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:51 am

16,9% (caliper method)
Bad guys don't count carbs
-Captain Awesome-
Euphoric

Postby shown mikel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:13 am

For measurement of bodyfat--either an electrical impedance device or calipers. You can also get a DEXA scan in some places, or use a BodPod or other hydrostatic weighing device. The latter two methods require going to some location like a gym or doctor's office, whereas the former can be purchased and used at home.
shown mikel

Previous

Return to General Discussion