what's your body fat percentage?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

what's your body fat percentage?

Postby slodki » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 pm

i just one of those scales that reads your body fat.
not the most accurate, but ya know.
16%
slodki

Re: what's your body fat percentage?

Postby baldy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:47 am

Been down to 9% before in my running skinny emo phase. These days I am a lot more respectable, knocking on 20%, but still ripped.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:33 am

How does a scale differentiate between fat and muscle ?
Doesn't it just make a guess based on weight and height ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby vegieburger » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm

the scales have conductors that you put your feet on and they send an electrical current through your body (muscles conducts electricity better than fat) and it calculates your body fat percentage by how long it takes the current to get through your body (taking things like age, sex, height and weight into account) but they are not very accurate and things like how much water you have recently drunk can change the result.

I do not know my bfp and have no desire to find it out as I am sure it would be quite depressing.
"No one has yet realized the wealth of sympathy, the kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child.
The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure."-Emma Goldman
vegieburger

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Oh, I see, I didn't realise they were that sophisticated.

So how would measuring the electrical resistance between the feet work on someone like me ? The current would go up and down my muscly legs and miss out my fat belly. :D
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:06 pm

I think you're right, BGW. There are devices where the current goes through the whole body (you hold the other pole with your hands). But if just the feet are in contact with it, only the lower body is measured and apparently the body fat percentage is underestimated for men and the other way around for women.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby vegieburger » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:32 pm

I just assumed it could go all the way through your body from your feet. I carry most of my fat in my 'booty' and thighs, which might explain why ages and ages ago when I used on of these I got a much higher result than I expected. I think it also assumes that women do not have that much muscle so I'd hate to see the bfp a woman who was heavy because she had a lot of upper body strength would get.

I'm curious as to the most reliable, yet accessable, method of bfp calculation?
"No one has yet realized the wealth of sympathy, the kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child.
The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure."-Emma Goldman
vegieburger

Postby slodki » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:17 am

usually people who work at a gym are trained in using calipers, if used over time and averaged this is accurate. the same kind of technology that makes a body fat scale work can be used in various places on the body and averaged. also the most accurate way of measuring body fat is a water tank test, but not very accessible. you can train yourself with the calipers and use that and calipers are not very expensive.
slodki

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 am

[quote="vegieburger"]I just assumed it could go all the way through your body from your feet. I carry most of my fat in my 'booty' and thighs, which might explain why ages and ages ago when I used on of these I got a much higher result than I expected. I think it also assumes that women do not have that much muscle so I'd hate to see the bfp a woman who was heavy because she had a lot of upper body strength would get.

I think this could be remedied by doing a handstand on the scales :)

[quote="vegieburger"]I'm curious as to the most reliable, yet accessable, method of bfp calculation?

Aye, densitometry/hydrostatic weighing (you might have seen it on the simpsons episode when Homer goes to space:) ) was the best method to get BF% for a long time, but DEXA scans are now considered by many to be the most accurate and can give all kinds of other useful info about your body composition like bone density.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby mabli » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:30 am

I was around 17% in March but Ive toned up more since then so probably less now, it was measured on a machine that I stood on and held onto with my hands, it calculated my height too.

Dont know if the machine is accurate, it just happend to be there so I had a go.

Why would someone want to know this info btw?
mabli

Postby vegieburger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:29 am

[quote="hardcore iv"]I think this could be remedied by doing a handstand on the scales :)

lol, there is one of these at my uni gym, I think I should put a sign up explaining that to get a full body reading you need to do a handstand and then sit back and watch the fun begin. Thats if they ever get the thing repaired.

I wouldn't mind knowing my bfp, but I'm not keen enough to go to much effort to find out, although this is in large part because I am scared that the percentage would be too high. Ignorance is bliss after all.
vegieburger

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:45 am

[quote="mabli"]

Why would someone want to know this info btw?

It is handy to know BF% if you are wanting to lose weight as most popular weight loss methods cause a a decrease in muscle mass rather than body fat. Once you know your BF% you can do a little mathematics and figure out how many kg of fat you would need to lose to get to a certain BF%. You would periodically get measured again to see if your loss in scale weight is due to fat or muscle loss.

For example, I got mine measured about a year ago with calipers and it was about 27% at a weight of about 105kg (105x0.27=28.35kg) So, if I wanted to get to 15% I would need to lose 12.6kg (28.35-(105x0.15)=12.6) of fat.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby Alistar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:58 am

16% is pretty low for a woman isn't it? I thought the average for women was about 25%?

I imagine I'd be around 12%. Quite glad I've put a bit of weight on recently as I was too light before. Feel a lot stronger because of it.
Alistar

Postby mouche » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:29 pm

I was 14% a year and a half ago, right before losing a few kilos and getting a lot leaner.

A few casual measurements with calipers about 6 months ago suggested a sub-10% body fat percentage, so I reckon I'm still hovering around or just below 10%.
mouche

Postby vegan hal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:44 pm

[quote="Alistar"]16% is pretty low for a woman isn't it? I thought the average for women was about 25%?

I imagine I'd be around 12%. Quite glad I've put a bit of weight on recently as I was too light before. Feel a lot stronger because of it.

i dunno. from your avatar (photo), you look a little more than 12%. :P

me, i have no clue my BF%. heck, i don't even know my weight. would like to find out both someday.
vegan hal

Next

Return to General Discussion