winter olympics

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby SpugFab » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:48 pm

[quote="ninearms"]Especially impressed with the 18 year old Canadian girl

Yeah that's a definite upside of olympics games coverage.

Fred - I'm going to go out on a limb and claim that short track skating is the most exciting human-powered racing sport that I've seen. Better spectator sport than running, swimming, skiing, rowing, cycling, walking, all of them.
SpugFab

Postby xJimx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Loving the Winter Olmpics, can't wait for the men's hockey to start. The women's hockey is boring unless it's USA vs Canada; the other teams just don't compare.

[quote="JP"][quote="runner"]not much on the tv here. just watched little female ice-hockey

canada had no opponent.

18-0!!! feel sorry for them...

Indeed much has been made of this mismatch & the underlying lack of depth in the women's game. Worth bearing in mind that the team on the wrong end of this scoreline actually WON one of their qualifying games for the right to be Vancouver by 82 goals :shock: (vs Bulgaria, check it out on Youtube if want a laugh).
DYEL
xJimx

Postby ninearms » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:59 pm

[quote="SpugFab"]Fred - I'm going to go out on a limb and claim that short track skating is the most exciting human-powered racing sport that I've seen. Better spectator sport than running, swimming, skiing, rowing, cycling, walking, all of them.

Better than sack racing?

“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby JuicyJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Shaun White is AMAZING!!!!!!
:D
JuicyJ

Postby JuicyJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I wanted to add that Lindsey Vohn also rules!!
She annihilated the competition while going through the finish line on one ski ( due to a chin injury )
How cool is that?????????
JuicyJ

Postby JuicyJ » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:18 pm

[quote="ninearms"]Women's moguls freestyle skiing yesterday was awesome. Ariel freestyle is a bit meh but the moguls are brilliant. Especially impressed with the 18 year old Canadian girl - no playing it safe from her.

I skied moguls in Whistler from 19 - 28 and a little beyond .
It is the biggest rush in the world - I have had runs that compare to ... well.... sex! And I have had some pretty wicked sex 8)
and there is no playing it safe -" No Guts No glory" - really applies here.
There is a run at Whistler that says "tighten your sphincter " "5000 ft ( I think) of thigh burning hell " before you dare to tread.
I miss the adrenaline rush BIG TIME!!!!

Curling and mens figure skating don't really do it for me no matter how hard I try

oh ,one of the physio places in Whistler sells T- shirts that say "Chicks dig scars " and "Guys dig scars".
It comes with the territory
JuicyJ

Postby vegan hal » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:41 pm

been diggin the games myself.

Svindal really smoked that super G. awesome! I'm digging the more chill Bode Miller. he's grown up since 4 yrs ago. he's still excellent!

Shani Davis on long track speed skate.

hell yeah for Lindsey Vonn.

Shaun White is incredible, but he annoys me.
vegan hal

Postby fredrikw » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:58 pm

amazing show of strength and team tactics in the men's 30km pursuit.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby the crazyest vegan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:55 pm

I do enjoy the winter olympics.
I'd love to have a go at the skeleton and downhill ski thingy, they both look pretty damn exciting :D
the crazyest vegan

Postby JuicyJ » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:24 am

[quote="vegan hal"]been diggin the games myself.

Shaun White is incredible, but he annoys me.

I wrote that about Shaun right after I watched his Gold medal run..or two - seeing him fly 20 or more feet over the 22 foot half pipe walls was incredible

Preparation is a huge part of the process and success.
He is so competitive and always comes prepared
That gives you a certain confidence ( doesn't hurt that his sponsor built him a private pipe in the back country of Colorado to train on ...alone. Most dope!)

I really respect that he didn't rest on his laurels,money and fame . He trains so hard and elevates the sport to a whole new level.
Ya, that could come off as cocky but he IS the snowboard franchise and works his butt off to stay in the game .
You gotta admire that focus.

Tonight Lindsey goes for the gold in the GS - cool, and Apolo and Shani are in the mix too.
JuicyJ

Postby helmut » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 am

[quote="fredrikw"]
This was a hillarious story though, Australias gold from 2002
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQMJtilOGg
The semi final was apparently won in the same way, him being too slow to be close enough to the others when they fell :)

Absolutely, how the hell else is Australia supposed to win things like ice skating?

:lol:

Even the indoor air-conditioned-to-all-fuck ice skating rinks start to melt in summer.
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby JuicyJ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 am

OK, you must love Bode Miller !! and the American hockey team?
I am a new fan of skier cross.It's the first Olympics for this discipline .The mega jumps are so rad !
Now, I want to do that big time .It seems to be the place for retired downhill and other skiers :lol:

ice dancing...not so much :?

As an ex Whistler/Vancouver resident for 10 years or more these games hold a special place in my heart.All the news reports show my old stomping grounds ...'sigh'.I need a visit really soon .
JuicyJ

Postby vegan hal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 am

[quote="JuicyJ"]OK, you must love Bode Miller !! and the American hockey team?
I am a new fan of skier cross.It's the first Olympics for this discipline .The mega jumps are so rad !
Now, I want to do that big time .It seems to be the place for retired downhill and other skiers :lol:

ice dancing...not so much :?

As an ex Whistler/Vancouver resident for 10 years or more these games hold a special place in my heart.All the news reports show my old stomping grounds ...'sigh'.I need a visit really soon .

yeah. i was stoked for Bode winning the Super Combined. i wish they'd show more hockey. i've seen pretty much none. it should get interesting.

yeah i see your point on Shaun White. he certainly has made the sport huge. so he should get props for that. i did see that privet 1/2 pipe he helicopters in to. pretty sick!

tonight's a ton of ice dancing so no thanks. i watched UCONN upset WV in NCAA basketball instead. that was fun.
vegan hal

Postby JuicyJ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes I like college basketball but that is for another thread :)

It seems if you have more than basic cable here you can watch the Olympics all day long on some NBC owned /affiliate station - It is on USA network too .
It's a blessing and a curse.

Red Bull built Shaun that half pipe. He can train and hide his tricks from other competitors .
The days of a truly amateur athlete are long since gone .
JuicyJ

Postby ultra_whippet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Skier cross was highly entertaining. Also enjoyed watching some of the XC skiing - their aerobic fitness must be totally freakish - Northug in particular is a machine....
ultra_whippet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion