....i quit my muthafuckin job....

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

....i quit my muthafuckin job....

Postby puppydog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:20 pm

actually it's a pretty good place to work and a decent job.
but it sounds better to say muthafuckin job.
anyhow yeah - puppydog moves back to the great white north early 2010!

i didnt' really do anything in dramatic fasion but does anybody have good "I quit" stories??

I'm sure there are some out there.

I got fired once for not dancing the YMCA at a company propaganda meeting.... but never quit in a fury..
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby JP » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:59 pm

whoah, a big change mate. What prompted this?

i have had at least 40 jobs so there are a few quitting "gem" stories in there, including a mini uprising of five of us trashing the place as we left...

Usually have left in ok terms though.
JP
Site Admin

Postby chronyx » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:24 pm

Been fired twice but have got on OK at most places! Although if I could do some of my school/college jobs again... :twisted: hindsight eh? :roll:
chronyx

Re: ....i quit my muthafuckin job....

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:57 pm

[quote="puppydog"]
i didnt' really do anything in dramatic fasion but does anybody have good "I quit" stories??

Fuck me sideways ...this is the thread I've been waiting for!

Back a bit later when I've psyched myself up 'xKillerx' style...
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Dramatic exit #1
I worked at a riding stables over the Easter break while still at school, cos I had put down ‘anything to do with environment/animals’ on a form passed round by the headmistress. On my last day, the boss had a real go at me for being veggie and went off on a vicious rant about how all the people who worked there were into hunting. I tried to respond with a shy teenage lecture about animals having rights, but gave up, joined the local hunt sabs when I was slightly older and got stuck in to the smug bastards.

Dramatic exit #2
After a spell of unemployment aged about 21, I got put on a job-seeker scheme that gave you the dole plus £10 if you agreed to work full time to get some experience that would hopefully lead to a full time job. A small media company took me on, as I was doing a journalism course.

I quickly realised that the boss was a complete and utter crook who was screwing over everyone he could manage, owed money to loads of other small businesses and stringing his staff along on £2.50 an hour on the basis that he was about to hit it big and would reward them. I handed in one day’s notice, told most of his contacts on the last day what a lying twat he was, nicked his expensive books and even took the plant in reception home with me.

Dramatic Exit #3
There’s a vegetarian place called 'The Alley Café' in the very centre of Nottingham that prides itself on being ‘funky, independent and ethical’. Basically, it is run by a gurning, baby-faced ex-vegan cock who wants to make as much money out of vegetarians as he can, while screwing his staff over for every penny. He’s the kind of person who will promote a member of staff to be ‘permanent’, put them on a monthly salary as opposed to the usual weekly cash in hand pay catering workers get, then slowly ramp up their hours until they are on less than the minimum wage. The downright bastardliness of the guy is widely known through the town, mainly due to the way that his two long-suffering ex-girlfriends made sure to put it about, but the place remains in business due to the fact that Nottingham city centre is a very corrupt place and you have to know the right people to run a successful business there, so it is the only vegetarian place in town that is open midweek daytimes and so gets no real competition.

My dramatic exit involved a whole succession of events worthy of a Shakespeare play and makes entertaining reading, but I suggest you PM me if you want the full story, as I don’t want to totally dominate this thread!

Dramatic Exit #4
I worked at a long-established veggie workers’ co-op in Manchester that on the whole is a decent, caring place, but it consists of a successful shop upstairs and struggling café downstairs, and there was always (possibly still is) such infighting between the two that the atmosphere was stifling and it certainly didn’t feel like a co-op.

There were two women in the café (both since departed) who were fish-eating ex-vegetarians with a real grudge against vegans. Especially vegans who like wholefood things like dates and brown rice. They did their best t make my life hell and spoil the very popular vegan cakes I’d introduced to the range, so that the customers would request the ‘old cakes’ and they could claim vegan cakes didn’t sell, plus other ‘control freak’ type stuff such as forcing me to lift 25Kg sacks of spuds from the floor and carry them up and down stairs, even though I insisted that any more than 20Kg was too much for me. (NB. have since found out that under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, this is seriously illegal!)

After sleepless nights and panic attacks, I just dramatically slotted my knife into my belt one day, said ‘so long’ to everybody and fucked off to the pub without working my notice.

etc.
Hiking Fox

Postby Flaming Monkey » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:05 pm

[quote]I handed in one day’s notice, told most of his contacts on the last day what a lying twat he was, nicked his expensive books and even took the plant in reception home with me.

This make me laugh out loud. You took the plant!

I've got to hear the exit from the Alley Cafe place, long or not. PM it to me!
Flaming Monkey

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:32 pm

[quote="Flaming Monkey"]
This make me laugh out loud. You took the plant!

I've got to hear the exit from the Alley Cafe place, long or not. PM it to me!

I will :wink:

The media guy really liked that plant! I have no idea what his reaction was when I walked out - I've never seen him since. The thing that really annoyed me was the way he brazenly told me that he had no intention of paying a printing company who'd done some big colour posters for him; he just said, 'yeah yeah, let them take me to court.'

I should point out that the views expressed in my post are my own, have nothing to do with any policies or opinions of this site and if anyone has any complaints about me naming the cafe in Nottingham, please let me know and I will adapt my post. I don't want the mods to get any stick for my Friday night rant.
Hiking Fox

Postby crapiecorn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:40 am

[quote="Hiking Fox"]plus other ‘control freak’ type stuff such as forcing me to lift 25Kg sacks of spuds from the floor and carry them up and down stairs, even though I insisted that any more than 20Kg was too much for me. (NB. have since found out that under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, this is seriously illegal!)

Good times, i loved carrying 50k cement bags when i was a teen.
Last edited by crapiecorn on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
crapiecorn

Postby puppydog » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:41 am

[quote="JP"]whoah, a big change mate. What prompted this?.

yeah just you can only do so much banking where either you're going to blow your brains out or become a full fledged zombie. Either way you end up stupider than before. When I gave notice even my boss told me "yeah, you can't drink the kool-aid every day...."

plus always planned to move back to canada with the wife and start our family there, this seemed like a good time.

THe YMCA dance story... we had a company meeting and there was all this nonsense propaganda, like charts that were all screwed up on the ratio to make it look like things were better than they were, and then they made everybody do a sing-a-long dance-a-long with the words :it's fun to work at SDBI" to the tune of YMCA (the place was called SDBI obviously)

I knew I couldn't do the dance and live with myself, so i sat there in a staredown with my boss while about 250 grown adults did this dance.

Two days later i was let go for insubordination.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Toothache » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:50 pm

I have been made redundant four times now! So if you see me being shown around as the new guy in your company, be afraid!
Toothache

Postby bob_summers » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:18 pm

cool stories.

when i was 16 doing a YTS placement on £28.50 a week, i tipped over a forklift. it was carrying several pallets of high precision castings which were to be used in sonar transducers in the trident nuclear submarines being built up the road :evil:

i wasn't sacked (don't think you can sack a YTS gofer), but with the damage up in the tens of thousands of pounds i found myself working for a different company the week after.

i'd like to claim i was doing my bit for CND, but to be honest i was just a fuckwit :)
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Herbsman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:48 pm

I stabbed my fat manager in the belly with some really sharp tongs
Herbsman

Postby XkillerX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Best of luck in the future!!

I'm self employed all my life so no drama stories here.

I highly advise self employment/entrepreneurship to everybody out there.

Fuck the employer-worker model, run your own life the way you seem it fit!
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby helmut » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 am

these stories are great. i am on the verge of leaving my job myself, with no stable alternative! do some freelance stuff but it doesn't quite pay the bills at the moment.... wish me luck :P
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:02 pm

[quote="bob_summers"]when i was 16 doing a YTS placement on £28.50 a week, i tipped over a forklift. it was carrying several pallets of high precision castings which were to be used in sonar transducers in the trident nuclear submarines being built up the road :evil:

You are my new hero.
Hiking Fox

Next

Return to General Discussion