'Projects'

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

'Projects'

Postby Jonathan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Just been getting into constructing stuff lately, and was wondering if anyone else had 'projects' on the go at the moment too??

Due to where we live, I have a good supply of a variety of timbers. I want to start milling them on a regular basis and construct solid, simple tables and gradually build up to other stuff too.

So, first project has been to construct a pair of bedside tables for us.

The tables are constructed from sycamore. The timber is technically green, but has been drying in the round for several years. It is finished down to 180 grit with 3 coats of boiled linseed oil. Sycamore is a really interesting wood due to the black striations caused by bacteria in the wood. It's quite a light wood, but rather hard (bluntens tools).

Anyway.....

The saw with the mill attached and the first beam sawn. Still technique to be worked on. It's quite a heavy rig and it's hard to stop the saw dipping at the end.

Measuring up. The planer thicknesser is very old, but quite good. The table saw is however shite, and will be replaced asap. The lack of blade guard is crap too.

Sanding the beam.

The finished pair. Due to imperfections in the wood they are a pair but are not of the same dimensions. Nothing to do with my crappy joinery skills! :lol:

The beautiful black striations in the wood. The one on the right makes me think of a star supernova. Really happy with how they came out.

My table.....

...and Kathryn's table.

The finished product with part of the trunk they came from.

The plan is now to build a trial coffee table or two and then perhaps start selling them. Special 5% discount for VF members :wink: :lol:

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby Arbela » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:35 am

Nice!

I bet Kathryn loves those tables. There's nothing quite like having something made for you by a loved one. Be sure to sign and date your finished work somewhere on the bottom.

Looking forward to seeing your next project!
Last edited by Arbela on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arbela

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Bloody hell - a guitar?? There must be a huge amount of work involved in building one. Is it electric guitars or acoustics that he makes?

I ultimate aim is to rid the house of anything made by IKEA. They have this awful hold on modern society where the only place that you can get reasonably priced furniture is IKEA. I don't even like half the stuff we have, but we have it for lack of an alternative.

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby seitan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:45 pm

i love building out of wood, did an extension on our last place, and most recently a new shed in our new place.

i also wood cladded our old home too, loved doing it. id love to have enough money to be able to build a new home out of timber, thats almost my dream!

dont have a pic with roof on, but outside is now finished but the inside isnt, and its been waiting to be finished for months! im terrible like that, i start things but dont seem to finish them!!

rear picture of our old place

no human is innocent
seitan

Postby JP » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:48 pm

great new passion Jonathan! I know how you can throw yourself into something you get excited about :D

Love building something myself - this thread reminded how much i miss it. Been doing it ever since i was a kid, but alas, nothing in past DECADE! This has to be corrected soon...
JP
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Your tables look awesome. i love sycamore wood.

I've build a guitar before. it was awesome and sounded amazing. it definately looked like i had built it though. cause after half a year it completely fell apart.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby emm7 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Wow I am majorly impressed with all the woodworking projects here!

Next project I'll be starting is a salsa evening dress in lightweight crepe (cream with black art deco flower print). Before starting it's vital to customize the pattern pieces. I have to raise the waist (I am significantly high-waisted), blend two pattern sizes together and add extra curve at the hip, and add extra length coz I am tall. I have got a set of French Curves to do that. It involves some maths and some artistry!! This is before the cutting out of material, and sewing, even starts :lol:

Projects are therapeutic and very satisfying.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby chronyx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Really impressive woodwork here!

Have no experience with that, but recently stripped my motorbike down to its frame, had that powdercoated and upgraded the brakes and suspension, fitted new wheels and reinstalled everything.
chronyx

Postby emm7 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Does anyone here build computers 100% from parts? I have done that before and it was very enjoyable.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Love the sheds Seitan - I am itching to build one (from reclaimed scaffold battons actually) but it seems that I've got a workshop lined up so I won't need one. Is every aspect of it original to you or did you buy anything in kit?

JP - I do have a tendency to be a little obsessive! :lol: I'm just hoping that this one will eventually turn into a job of sorts.

Thanks Hero, chronyx and Emm. Emm - being able to make clothes (I generalise - dress making wouldn't be hugely useful for me!) is a wonderful skill. Kathryn is getting a sewing machine later in the year :D

Jonathan
Jonathan

Postby Arbela » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Impressive, Seitan!

Emm, I've never built a computer from parts. I wouldn't know where to start! Hell, I'm lucky I get all the stupid cords on my desktop straight.
Last edited by Arbela on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arbela

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:51 am

You husband has GAS? Unlucky...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Arbela » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Heh...yeah. :lol:
Arbela

Postby chronyx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:19 pm

emm7 wrote:Does anyone here build computers 100% from parts? I have done that before and it was very enjoyable.

Done two, this one and one that sits in a cupboard with no monitor or anything just as a central place to share files and back things up.
chronyx

Postby seitan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Jonathan wrote:Love the sheds Seitan - I am itching to build one (from reclaimed scaffold battons actually) but it seems that I've got a workshop lined up so I won't need one. Is every aspect of it original to you or did you buy anything in kit?

no kit involved, and unfortunatly i had to buy all the timber, couldnt borrow any off site. screws and nails are always aquired aswell as insulation :)
no human is innocent
seitan

Next

Return to General Discussion