how much do you hate quorn?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

how much do you hate quorn?

Postby JP » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:22 am

BASTARDS!!!!

They have brought out so many new items! Coctail sausages, all kinds of grill things, full god damn range - all of course non vegan.

BASTARDS!!!!

Not only that, but it coincided with the disappearance of vegan fake meat products from grassingtons, peppered steak, chicken breast, meatballs are all gone now from any big supermarket in manchester and surrounding areas (and i have gone through fair few shops!).

Is strong vegetarian brand with a large market share and presence in normal supermarkets holding veganism back?

I think so!

BASTARDS!!!!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Johnboy74 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:33 am

I hear you JP! I always look at the Quorn products thinking they might have taken the egg products out! There stuff does look very nice! And I fucking loved Grassingtons stuff but it has vanished from stores in Liverpool too! I've heard that Morrisons and Co-op might have stocks of it! My vegan girlfriend is bringing a batch up from Kettering Co-op on the weekend for me :D
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Re: how much do you hate quorn?

Postby ninearms » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:45 am

[quote="JP"]Not only that, but it coincided with the disappearance of vegan fake meat products from grassingtons, peppered steak, chicken breast, meatballs are all gone now from any big supermarket in manchester and surrounding areas (and i have gone through fair few shops!).

Same thing here mate. Nothing anywhere. And just to rub salt in the wound Asda has reintroduced their very tasty fake chicken breasts, only they've now decided that it would be a good idea to stick egg in the bastards.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby emm7 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 am

yes I am annoyed too because the Grassingtons steaks have vanished from my supermarket as well.

Plus point though there is a new vegan Cauldron item in the supermarket which is called "tofu salad topper", it's marinated tofu in a sundried tomato and oil type sauce that you can eat straight out of the packet. I have bought some but haven't eaten it yet.

QUORN has got a whole massive display in the supermarket.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:54 am

There was a little cafe next to Mancs Piccadilly station that did vegan sausage butties until they switched to using Quorn. BASTARDS!

They went out of business shortly after. I blame it on that.

This is the kind of issue the Vegan Society should be working flat out to represent us on.
Hiking Fox

Postby shellie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:12 am

Hmm most of the grassingtons stuff has vanished from my local store too, however they now have grassingtons chicken style nuggets.
shellie

Postby theblackcat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:19 am

The only thing that would bother me would be the suffering of chickens, not not being able to eat quorn. I think meat substitutes are gross.
theblackcat

Postby Konstantin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:20 am

They're the first thing loads of people talk about when the subject of giving up meat comes up. And it doesn't just contain eggs, it's based on eggs. Is Quorn more damaging/cruel than meat? How many times to people suggest getting some in for me?

BASTARDS!!
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby theblackcat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 am

[quote="Papaya"]They're the first thing loads of people talk about when the subject of giving up meat comes up.

Yep, they are, and I'm not suggesting that they are more cruel than meat or that they don't help the guys during the transition state. They look - and would taste, presumably - too meaty for my taste.
theblackcat

Postby buzz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 am

My guess is Quorn negotiate some bullshit deal with the big boys, and part of it is that they limit, or eliminate, their stocking of competitive products. In most of the supermarkets up here Linda Mcartney shit is hard to find (apart from sausages which seem to be available in most) and Grassingtons is the usual bogging looking veg fingers, and vegetable burgers, rather than the tasty meat sub stuff. Damn, I haven't had the meatballs for ages :(

Someone should e-mail grassingtons, ask them what the deal is. In fact, I will take on the mission!
buzz

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21 pm

[quote="theblackcat"]The only thing that would bother me would be the suffering of chickens, not not being able to eat quorn. I think meat substitutes are gross.

The problem is that places that used to have vegan options are replacing them with Quorn, so Quorn as a company are pushing out vegan products (and therefore making it harder for people to take the first steps to go vegan), with the blessing ot the Vegetarian Society, who endlessly promote them and put their logo on their leaflets etc.
Hiking Fox

Postby JP » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:29 pm

exactly!

"Quorn - preventing the adoption of animal abuse free diet"

BASTARDS!!!!

(i too emailed grassingtons)
JP
Site Admin

Postby emm7 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:32 pm

I have had plenty of people offering to get QUORN in for me as well because they're under the impression it's vegan.

I never liked QUORN anyway when I was veggie because it gave me godawful indigestion and I think the texture of it was a bit unpleasant.

Frys and Redwoods stuff is much better quality than QUORN ever was.

The only McCartney food I am keen on is the fake steak pies.

It's a crying shame Quorn is pushing all the other food out. As quite apart from the issue of it being made out of eggs and some kind of lab-grown mutant fungus (Gelert is good with explaining the science of it), it doesn't even taste that nice.

Why have I never seen Frys or Redwoods food in supermarkets?
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby SpugFab » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:37 pm

I've heard a lot of people say they like the taste of Quorn stuff, so I suppose it's doing some good in showing that a meat substitute can be tasty. It's a smaller jump from there to an egg-free meat substitute can also be tasty.

Could argue that it's also the long fridges full of meat that are preventing the vegan stuff getting shelf space.

I think Frys is probably too expensive to be viable for the supermarkets.
SpugFab

Postby gauze » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:11 pm

I think the only vegan things I've seen in frozen sections recently is LM sausages and pies. 99% own brand stuff (Tesco and Asda) is just vegetarian now, as I think Tesco chicken dippers are still vegan.
gauze

Next

Return to General Discussion