Leaky Thermoses and Styrofoam Cups

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Leaky Thermoses and Styrofoam Cups

Postby jamesndawson » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm in Food Not Bombs and I use thermoses and disposable cups and other items. I try to wash and re-use the disposables as much as I can, but it's not easy, given the outdoor location we share our meals at. As the chance of snow increases, I may have to be walking or riding my bike, as I don't have 4-wheel drive and I don't like the stress of driving in the snow. So I'm looking into using styrofoam cups for soup and coffee in thermoses.

Are hot drinks in styro very bad for you? I heard they were, but is this exaggerated and/or pseudo-science?

I'm having trouble screwing my thermos lids on tight. After struggling with one, I managed to get it tight, but it took some doing. The other one defies my efforts. Unfortunately, they both tend to leak a little, which will be more bothersome (or disastrous) when I'm walking or biking with a backpack.

Do all or most thermoses have this problem? I bought what I thought was a high-end one (a Stanley if I remember right), but it dribbled badly when pouring. Do the lids & threads just wear out? Or are they just badly made? What's the best thermos you've used? Mine are both Thermos brand.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Leaky Thermoses and Styrofoam Cups

Postby jamesndawson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Nevermind. I've fixed it. Seems I'd switched the tops and was trying to put them on the wrong respective thermoses.
James
jamesndawson

Return to General Discussion