GOOGLE YOU F*&**&

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

GOOGLE YOU F*&**&

Postby Man On Bike. » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Anyone else noticed the mildly annoying way that when you search google for something 'vegan', sites with 'vegetarian' in them will also be presented in the results even if those sites don't mention 'vegan'. Because google obviously lumps the two together.

Of course you could type '-vegetarian' to exclude from the results any sites that include the word 'vegetarian'. But that also excludes sites that include both the words 'vegetarian' and 'vegan'.

Try it, you'll see.
Man On Bike.

Postby Asleep on a sunbeam » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:21 pm

scroogle.org for the win!
Asleep on a sunbeam

Postby JP » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 am

yeah man, this is very annoying! vegetarian results are USELESS!!!

I have sent feedback to google couple times via the link "Dissatisfied? Help us improve" link on the bottom of the search page, for what its worth.
JP
Site Admin

Postby seasiren » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:06 pm

I am only getting vegan sites to pop up. The only exception are the ones who pay to play, they are located at the very top and the right column of the results.
seasiren

Re: GOOGLE YOU F*&**&

Postby barnz2k » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:22 pm

well its 3 years on and google is still lumping them together. Just did it again. very annoying!!
barnz2k

Postby skoptic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 am

Hmm.... I don't see this. Yes, if you discount adwords top & right hand side, all results are showing for vegan. There are pages which also mention vegetarian, but they are not showing for that, there is enough vegan optimisation for them to show.

You don't think that they are normalising the results so a search for one also searches for the other?... I think that might be a lickle paranoid ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby oschwald » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Just put a plus sign in front of the word, e.g., "+vegan". The plus sign tells Google to search for the exact word rather than the word and equivalents.
oschwald

Postby barnz2k » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:56 pm

I usually do use the +vegan tag. it depends what you search. If there aren't as many vegan results, it will include vegetarian ones, and if they are ranked higher they appear above the vegan ones.
barnz2k

Return to General Discussion