Anyone know about vegan food at the olympic park?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Anyone know about vegan food at the olympic park?

Postby muchluv » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Does anyone know about the availability of vegan food at the olympic park? Especially those who have gone? I am heading tomorrow to see Athletics! Figuring whether to pack food. Would be a sensible idea but if it's unneccesary it's more to carry and takes longer to go through check in. But obviously even if there is food available usually, they might run out (or whatever) so good to take it just in case.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Re: Anyone know about vegan food at the olympic park?

Postby baldy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:02 am

Nope, also heard stories about the security checks being like airport check in.
When I went to an event at the O2 we had to throw away our water but someone walked in with a take away dinner.

I would bank of there not being vegan food and taking a few bars, then if there is vegan food it is a bonus. What event are you watching?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:42 am

All I know is that you can't get chips anywhere other than at McDonalds. Prob best to assume that the food at the venues will be complete shit.

London has masses of good places to eat vegan food, though.
Hiking Fox

Postby Talyn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 am

Eat big before you go, take some snacks. From what I can tell your choices will be between Mcdonalds or Mcdonalds.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby muchluv » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I went to see the Athletics.

I ended up taking bars and some sandwiches in my rucksack.

Security wasn't as tight as I thought, I got in quickly. Just put my bag on a tray to be scanned with stuff in my pockets, then walked through one of those things.

As for food, there were 2 Mcdonalds, as well as various other food vendors. Generally they were generically named 'italian' 'mexican' etc. Also There were people with backpacks and flags sticking out the top, saying what they sold, like 'water'

Food was expensive, examples: Haddock and chips: 8.30. 330 ml heineken beer: 4.30, bottle of water (inside the stadium, from a backpack person): 1.60.

There was a salad bar too as well a few others.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby skoptic » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:35 pm

My experience was that it wasn't too bad. Not really any vegan food (knew this so I has Nakd / Trek bars) - but stuff wasn't ridiculous expensive, it was expensive, but just normal central London style. Wife had a choice of 3 places to get decent veggie sandwich / coffee / innocent smoothies.

Queues were fine for me (15 mins to get in), security quite mellow (shoes and jacket remained ON!) and we managed to Jedi Mind Trick our way into a restricted seating area. Great day out - can't fault enjoying some quality live sporting action :)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby muchluv » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:46 pm

When did you go Skoptic?
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby skoptic » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Today :)

But a disclaimer, sorry - I was at Hyde Pk, not Olympic Pk so probably not as hectic! Still was Army bods doing the same full security and same food / water policy, they just were quite relaxed - and a smile gets you a long way.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Gulliver » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Talyn wrote:Eat big before you go, take some snacks. From what I can tell your choices will be between Mcdonalds or Mcdonalds.
Unless you go to Eton Dorney, in which case there is no McDonalds and the stand that advertised salads only did them in the form of "wild boar burger with choice of salad". So, there really was nothing. And I had an argument with a dick member of staff, whom I asked whether they had anything veggie, about whether fish was vegetarian. I walked off. I probably shouted at her a bit, but she shouted at me first. It was very early in the morning.

Apart from that, it was the cheeriest police state on Earth. The volunteers were all good humoured and the canoe and kayak events we saw were good. We were surrounded by Hungarians, who won two events, so we were swept up in all their enthusiasm. Good day out!
Herbivorous Rex - Higher-protein vegan recipes with bad food photography.
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Return to General Discussion