Blenders?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Blenders?

Postby Prime » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:09 am

We just got our Vitamix today. Its awesome. Had a great green smoothie. Planning on making some super baby foods in it too.
Prime

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm

meli wrote:I don't eat enough greens unfortunately, because with the exception of kale, I think they taste revolting...

You have tried broccoli right? King of veg!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby wannalift » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 pm

I have had expensive ($120) blenders and cheap blenders ($30). Really, they worked about the same. I only use them for protein shakes anyway.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby Gulliver » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:04 pm

wannalift wrote:I have had expensive ($120) blenders and cheap blenders ($30). Really, they worked about the same. I only use them for protein shakes anyway.
I've always thought this. I've never seen the point of getting one that cost more than £20 (which seems to be the starting point for decent-sized ones). I mean, it only works because I've superglued the internal button down that lets it know when the jug is put on... but it blends fine.
Herbivorous Rex - Higher-protein vegan recipes with bad food photography.
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 pm

I had a cheap blender a few years ago and the motor ended up burning out pretty quickly. But I was using it to blend pretty tough things and crush ice. It was horrible at making green smoothies as well, it would leave the greens kind of chunky and gross. If you were just making things that blended easily it would probably be fine.
lobsteriffic

Postby Johnboy74 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Vitamix is pretty awesome for RAW Vegan food :)
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby Goob » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:29 pm

thestoatyone wrote:
ninearms wrote:fucking kale.

Yeah, what is with kale? I mean, eat your greens and that, but a bunch of vegans I follow talk about it like it gives you a x-ray vision and wings!?

kale is yummy, just eat it :P

^^this is why you need a $700 blender
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby meli » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:52 pm

lobsteriffic wrote: It was horrible at making green smoothies as well, it would leave the greens kind of chunky and gross.

I still haven't bought a Vitamix...
But I've found a way how to make creamy green smoothies in my 20 pounds blender.

Blend spinach, kale or any other leafy greens with some water for about 5 minutes, THEN add the fruit.

I used to throw in everything at the same time but this doesn't work with a cheap blender, as the fruit slows down the speed of the blades and the greens won't get liquidised.
Celery, broccoli and other chunky vegetables should be chopped in small pieces before blending.

hth.
meli

Postby meli » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Btw, I am thinking about buying a good food processor instead of a Vitamix or Blendtec.. I'm having an eye on this one: http://www.magimix.fr/index.php?rid=352&cid=979&lg=502# Magimix le mini.
Making nut milks, purees and liquidise vegetables for a soup should work with a food processor too, no?
Never had a food processor so I don't know...
meli

Postby Johnboy74 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:18 am

Nut Milks are very easy to make, all you need is a basic food blender, I would suggest only getting a vitamix if you want to makes raw ice creams, soups and all that jazz. Otherwise you will have spent alot more money that you need to.
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby skoptic » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Goob wrote:^^this is why you need a $700 blender

That is kwality.... That could convince me to drop $700 on a blender
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion