Any blokes do yoga/pilates?

Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance and variations, general stretching and flexibility discussion.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby draco880 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:35 am

Used to do Bikram's. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but it's pretty expensive.
Amusingly, back when my back was bad, I couldn't do normal yoga because I'd get muscle spasms and fall over. But, I could do the significantly more hardcore Bikram's, because the heat seemed to keep the muscles loose.
draco880

Postby Tatiana » Sat May 23, 2009 1:48 pm

I've gotten several guys interested in yoga and they all love it.

I read in Alonzo Mourning's book Resilience that he does yoga all the time and thinks every NBA team needs a full time yoga trainer. Eventually I know it will catch on with male professional athletes because it's such good training for strength, flexibility, and balance. It makes you a better athlete no matter what your sport, I think. The guys who do it have a competitive edge, so we know that athletes will do anything for that! =)
Tatiana

Postby emm7 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:46 pm

YES I reckon a yoga dvd that men would enjoy using is called
"Yoga conditioning for Athletes" by Rodney Yee.
There are two large (impressively muscular) men in it and only one (impressively muscular) lady.
Also for every posture they do, he mentions how it helps athletic performance, so that you can see what the point is of doing each posture. It is very focused on getting results in sport. It's very no-nonsense!

http://www.gaiam.com/product/yoga-studi ... tes+dvd.do
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby media_mute » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:55 am

I do yoga and have a for a while now, trying to get January off work to do ytt with yogapoint too. it's loads of fun and quite challenging too. personally, & v just imo, yoga is best for yoga- if you want to fight or climb better by way of example, practising either of those sports will yield more gains than yoga will

That caveat aside, it’s a great discipline and has changed me in profound and interesting ways. It is a very female loaded endeavour tho, I’m not really sure why

A couple of guys at Daigaku appear to do both yoga and judo, judging by the side plank warm ups
media_mute

Postby goldblade » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:40 am

the class I go to is very good and is about 50/50 men/women- its not easy but to be supple is as much part of training as everything else.
goldblade

Postby werner77 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:18 am

My girlfriend got me into it. I was only sceptical about it until our first session finished. :) Pilates is great and as the other say, if you go to a class it will most likely be 1 or 2 guys and 20 women. great benefits.
werner77

Re: Any blokes do yoga/pilates?

Postby Anton » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:08 pm

i'm halfway through a 10 week beginners course in ashtanga....and i love it. seriously great buzz from it, really enjoying learning the sequences and practising on my own although i always seem to have a slight bit of resistance to practise...as with most things in my life! really want to incorporate it into a daily routine, but with crossfit and meditation it gets a bit tricky. maybe if i wasn't so mental i wouldn't need to do all this shit!!!
Anton

Previous

Return to Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance Forum