Bikram Yoga

Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance and variations, general stretching and flexibility discussion.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:38 am

love the hot yoga. I go to Moksha yoga. Like Bikram, it's done in a heated studio, but with a different series of postures developed by Ted Grand who used to co-host Animal Voices in Toronto back in the day (a point of interest for anyone looking to create an animal rights trivial pursuit!). For anyone interested, the site is http://www.mokshayoga.ca/index.htm.

Although, I do think it might be easier to get injured in hot yoga because there may be the possibility of overstretching, or believing that you can stretch farther than you can. Especially for guys with tight hamstrings who want to touch their nose to their toes, they can force their lower spine into flexion and bad things can happen. I know I have to be careful when i'm doing hot yoga, but the feeling afterward is amazing.
Rob

Postby Carin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:38 am

Yesterday I decided to buy the 10 lessoncard for 4 months. I don't have so much time to go every week so this is a good option.

I was totally surpriced, after a stop from more than 7 months I was more flexibel than in march last year. :D
At this time I feel that I used my mucles in my back.

But yesterday evening at home I was warm and slept like a rose.
Specially in the wintertime I love the heat.

The persons who do Bikram do you go once a week ore more or less and why?
Carin

Postby stateofflux » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:28 pm

Brave of you to start again! My last class was a bit of a disaster, I got quite sick in the class and had to stop and sit half of it out.

Is it the same in all Bikram classes that you are not allowed to leave the room once the class has started, even if you feel ill? It's quite a bizarre rule and took all my discipline to stay in the heat and just sit down and breath until I could get up and join the class again.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Carin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:02 pm

[quote=".flux"]Brave of you to start again! My last class was a bit of a disaster, I got quite sick in the class and had to stop and sit half of it out.

Is it the same in all Bikram classes that you are not allowed to leave the room once the class has started, even if you feel ill? It's quite a bizarre rule and took all my discipline to stay in the heat and just sit down and breath until I could get up and join the class again.

That is strange rule. Normally in our class they tell you that if it's to heavy than you have to sit down till you feel better but in you case it was diffrent.
I think that you were very glad when then class ended.

Maybee it's because otherwise there is no control in the dressrooms or for locking the door.

Are you going again and do you feel better?
Carin

Postby stateofflux » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:18 pm

[quote="Carin"][quote=".flux"]Brave of you to start again! My last class was a bit of a disaster, I got quite sick in the class and had to stop and sit half of it out.

That is strange rule. Normally in our class they tell you that if it's to heavy than you have to sit down till you feel better but in you case it was diffrent.
I think that you were very glad when then class ended.

Maybee it's because otherwise there is no control in the dressrooms or for locking the door.

Are you going again and do you feel better?

Oh, I was fine the next day and I know why I felt ill. I ate a heavy christmas meal around 3 hours before to the class and was pre-menstrual which always makes me feel a little off, I just should have stayed home. Lesson learned!

The studio is basically run with very few staff members, almost always just the teacher. He said they have this rule because he can't help us if we are not in the studio, in other words if we leave the room and faint there's no one around to make sure we're OK. I guess this has happened in the past in Bikram studios. Maybe it's tied in with the suing culture, I don't know. I was just wondering if it's the rule of this studio or a generic rule. People aren't even allowed to leave to go to the toilet.

This would put me off going unless I feel absolutely 100%

Of course I don't have to stay, it's not like he's holding a gun to my head, but I feel like if I commit to a class, I should stay in there and follow the instructions of the teacher. On the other hand, that feels almost cultish!

Definitely going back though, I mostly feel good.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Carin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:25 pm

Yes, whitout any reason it's strange.

My bee Birkam is cultish :?
Thats why the traditional yoga teachers always are negatieve about. :lol:
Carin

Postby Pro Radii » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:34 pm

I am ADDICTED to bikram yoga, though I haven't been in nearly two months (I broke my toes and then kinda fell out of the routine). I'm starting up again tomorrow, and I'm a bit scared. I find it physically exhausting if I don't practice regularly, but I'm sure once I get back into it I'll feel better.
Pro Radii

Postby KaliBaby » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 am

how common is it to find yoga classes in the UK? especially Bikram and hot Vinyasa classes?
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby stateofflux » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:17 am

[quote="KaliBaby"]how common is it to find yoga classes in the UK? especially Bikram and hot Vinyasa classes?

I'd say yoga is quite widely taught in the UK, and like the US there are many styles.

The Hot Yoga styles are less widely available, probably down to cost and venue, if they don't have their own studio a lot of teachers teach wherever they can find a venue, often a community centre or church and you can't do that with the hot styles because of the heating and ventilation systems required.

There are 12 Bikram studios in the UK

Brighton - Portslade
Bristol - opens 8/8/09
Leicester - Midlands
London - Balham
London - Chiswick
London - City - Old Street
London - Fulham
London - North, Chalk Farm
London - Soho
London - West, Queens Park
Manchester
Richmond

I'm not sure about hot vinyasa yoga, I've never across it before you mentioned it.

I googled some studios in Norwich where you'll be and found no Hot Yoga classes, this woman http:/www.juls.co.uk/index.html teaches vinyasa flow yoga so you'd get the same style, but no heated room.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby KaliBaby » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:10 pm

damn! thanks for doing a bit of research for me flux, I appreciate it :D when I come visit you and JP maybe you'll take me to where you practice, yes? I searched UEA's website and besides beginner yoga classes they only teach 2 intermediate classes twice a week. hopefully that's just the summer schedule because I was really hoping to catch some classes at the university for cheap.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby flow girl » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:31 am

Not leaving the room is rule, period. It has to do with energy, concentration, yada yada yada. It is quite common to be overcome with waves of nausea from time to time no matter how long you have been practicing. In fact it happens to me and it can be from dehydration, I ate too much or at too heavy, etc. Some poses make this feeling a little more pronounced than others. The important thing is to constantly be aware of your body and listen, don't anticipate, to the instructions and let yourself go. Some days will be better than others but always be aware of your body, if you can't settle into a pose the way you "think" you ought to... relax and don't push it... you may injure yourself or become ill. I have all too many times asked myself while in class "what the hell am I doing here!?" I have learned if I am having any sort of conversation with myself... I am not at all focused on my practice which makes for minimal gains. Next time you sense discomfort ease up, relax only do as your body is able to on THAT day.
flow girl

Postby flow girl » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:32 am

Not leaving the room is rule, period. It has to do with energy, concentration, yada yada yada. It is quite common to be overcome with waves of nausea from time to time no matter how long you have been practicing. In fact it happens to me and it can be from dehydration, I ate too much or at too heavy, etc. Some poses make this feeling a little more pronounced than others. The important thing is to constantly be aware of your body and listen, don't anticipate, to the instructions and let yourself go. Some days will be better than others but always be aware of your body, if you can't settle into a pose the way you "think" you ought to... relax and don't push it... you may injure yourself or become ill. I have all too many times asked myself while in class "what the hell am I doing here!?" I have learned if I am having any sort of conversation with myself... I am not at all focused on my practice which makes for minimal gains. Next time you sense discomfort ease up, relax only do as your body is able to on THAT day.
flow girl

Postby dannibazaar » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Wow, I'm really enjoying reading everyone's reviews. There is a Bikram yoga studio right near the college I am going to, so I think I am going to try it out. Or would anyone else care to suggest another type of yoga class? Right now I do hatha yoga...
dannibazaar

Previous

Return to Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance Forum