Different types of yoga

Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance and variations, general stretching and flexibility discussion.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Different types of yoga

Postby Catt Queen » Sun May 09, 2010 11:08 am

Are there any real differences in the types of yoga? I'm drawn to Kundalini yoga, but have the opportunity to learn a different type too (can say it but not spell it :lol:).
Catt Queen

Re: Different types of yoga

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Sun May 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Not that I really know that much about yoga, but there are several different styles in terms of how vigorous the movements are (from powerful dynamic moves to sit-and-breath-right). I am sure some one else can elaborate on the differences and similarities as well as the historic roots. :) Otherwise, google might be your friend?
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
[quote]The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby stateofflux » Mon May 10, 2010 9:17 am

Check out Yoga Journal http://www.yogajournal.com/, you'll see interviews with teachers of all the various styles. You'll find some are quite dogmatic and teach only one style, strictly as taught by their teacher or guru and some who are multidisciplinary with influences from many teachers.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby fitnessnoob » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Threre are a lot of different types of yoga, such as Ananda Yoga,Anusara Yoga,Hatha, Power Yoga, Restorative Yoga, Viniyoga and many others! You would better to search Google, there is much information on this topic!
fitnessnoob

Postby Bounce » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Hallo,

I did Yoga for the first time today... It was Sivananda and I am surprised at how much I feel I have had a work out (it all looks so easy until you do it lol).

Here's a list of yoga types

I loved how precise it was and afterwards, though I feel tired physically, emotionally I feel a lot calmer.
Bounce

Postby sjsivfcare » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 am

i think there is no different yoga, you can name it different but it will the same
sjsivfcare

Return to Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance Forum