Football World Cup 2006, will you be watching?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

yes, as many games as possibly can
17%
yes, but the interesting games only
15%
only few games
25%
not if i can avoid it
43%

Total votes : 53

Postby JP » Tue May 23, 2006 9:17 am

ok, folks, the time is near...

Will you be watching it?

do you have a favourite team you are going to root for?

Here's the schedule:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 489046.stm
Last edited by JP on Wed May 24, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP
Site Admin

Postby runner » Tue May 23, 2006 10:02 am

My favorite team will be a team that play's attractive offensive football..

guess this means i like brazil, some african teams, spain (i guess) netherlands,...

to bad that the dutch team left on fantastic player at home (huntelaar)

always exams vs football :cry:
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Talyn » Tue May 23, 2006 10:28 am

yeah, i'm with runner there, i can't stand watching defensive football.. like any game involving italy.. i'd rather watch grass grow...

with australia qualifying i'll be going for them until they get bundled out in the first phase (oh, my undying optimism), then i will probably go for whichever of the african nations is still left... just for fun
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Tue May 23, 2006 1:48 pm

do you have a favourite team you are going to root for?

Oh let me think really long and hard about that one........

ENGLAND of course!
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby Jonathan » Tue May 23, 2006 1:51 pm

I have to say that I find the mindless patriotism associated with World Cup football rather repulsive, so no, I won't be watching any games if I can avoid it, though I suspect that I may have to at work from time to time.

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby JP » Tue May 23, 2006 1:57 pm

dont let the mindless nationalists take away a great form of team sport and entertainment mate :D

forgot to asnwer my own question:

yes, i will be watching as many games as i possibly can, which might not be many since we dont have a TV at home :(

(perhaps i should rent or borrow one?)

I will be rooting for Angola first and foremost, and then picking my favourites as i go along. Usually i dont mind which team wins as long as its a good game, but i will pick up my favs quite early on. Sorry, but it is usually not England :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Tue May 23, 2006 2:03 pm

I usually root for any team playing against England. I really can't stand the smugness, nationalism and sense of self importance some people seem to get when England win anything. All of a sudden we are the best nation in the world, and if anyone beat's us it's either the manager's fault or the other team was cheating :x

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby ultra_whippet » Tue May 23, 2006 3:42 pm

Well I managed to draw Togo in our work sweepstake, so I guess I need to hope for a seriously big upset ... :? I quite like watching any sport played at the highest level, I don't much care who wins though.
ultra_whippet

Postby soniczip » Wed May 31, 2006 5:01 pm

i am going to support italy of course; i think brazil will win (75% of chances) again though :evil:

should england win (0.0001%), i will emigrate :cry:

should italy win (10%), i will make it very hard for everybody to stand by me :twisted:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby David J. » Wed May 31, 2006 9:58 pm

LOL, its gonna be pretty boring because germany will surely win the cup. but i will watch the games nonetheless.
Heavenly Father, they are gigglin,
thinkin this is a game, let your words not be in vain!

David J.

Postby loveliberate » Wed May 31, 2006 11:56 pm

A couple of winters ago I was visiting friends in Mexico while the US was playing the Mexican team. I pretty much ignored the whole thang (I'm with Jonathan), my friends are Skins so they "had" to be into it, and more than one person thought we'd personally be in for a rough time being from the US and all.

I remember hanging out in the super-crowded bus station in the middle of the night surrounded by drunken Mexican folks watching news on the games, cursing the US up & down, & generally being rowdy. One of the guys who was being the rowdiest whipped around when he heard me speaking english, came over and stared me down while breathing heavily and then started talking very sweetly to my kids and offering them gum... :D

Never got the bus that night...
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby JP » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:41 am

soniczip wrote:should england win (0.0001%), i will emigrate :cry:

dont say that aloud man! England may have a shot this time around, their team is not bad at all, especially if Rooney recovers, and they manage to play together rather than as individual superstars.

Spain might have a shot as well i'm guessing...

Can't wait for this to start - high quality drama and suspence coming up :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby CurrantBunbury » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:59 am

I might watch some of it. I used to be a huge football fan when I was a kid but have got sick of the state of the top end of the British game in recent years. Too many primadonnas, not enough commitment and too much scapegoating. It just irks me. The World Cup might be a chance to see some good football without that, though - I live in hope. It might be hard though, because I'm staying with my football-hating parents at the moment.

Peace,

CB.
"The wind blows wild and I may move, but politicians lie and I am not fooled; you don't need no reason or a three-piece suit to argue the truth."

"Assumption, Mitzi m'dear, is the mother of all fuck-ups."
CurrantBunbury

Postby Talyn » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:23 pm

laf speaking of that I have a joke that I'm sure will get me in a lot of trouble, so I'm gonna post it anyway...

--- WORLD CUP JOKE ---

England vs. Brazil

The Brazilian players were in the dressing room, gearing up for the game.

Ronaldinho looks around, and notices that all his team-mates are looking quite glum.

"Hey guys, what's wrong?" he says.. a teammate replies "We know it's a big game, a big stage, but it's England... they are just sh*te, and we can't be bothered"

Ronaldinho then says, "Don't worry lads, I'll take care of England, you guys go to the pub and enjoy yourselves"

So Ronaldinho goes out to play England by himself. Whilst the rest of the team heads off for a few jars.

The team coaxes the landlord to switch it over to the game, and they see the score.. Brazil 1 (Ronaldinho 10) - England 0

"Wow! They say, he's beating England all by himself!"

A few pints later and they forget about the game for a while.. then one of them says it must be about full time now, and they check the score again..

Brazil 1 - England 1 (Lampard 89)

The team are amazed.. Ronaldinho drew vs England! The team rushes back to the stadium to congratulate Ronaldinho on his massive effort.

They find Ronaldinho in the locker rooms, head in his hands looking dejected.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I let all of you down!" he says

"Are you kidding?" they say.. "You played the whole team and you drew! That's incredible!"

"No! No! I really am sorry", Ronaldinho replies, "I was sent off after 12 minutes".
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:32 pm

:lol: :lol:

Made me giggle! :o
Jonathan

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness