How to become a personal trainer?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

How to become a personal trainer?

Postby mariale » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:44 am

Hi all,
I've been a marketing manager for about 2 years and I think I'm starting to get bored of being in front of computers all the time.
I've been going to the gym for 1 year already and all my friends use to tell me that I inspire them to keep motivated with their fitness goals as I never give up. I have some personal routines for when I train in the gym or outdoors and I know how to eat healthy and how to establish diets depending on the goals.
I am wondering if I could make my way as a personal trainer?
I think I'm good with people, and may have enough knowledge about the fitness lifestyle.
Should I quit my job and start? How should I go about it?
mariale

Re: How to become a personal trainer?

Postby athlegan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:47 am

Of course you can! While I'm not a personal trainer myself, this is how I'd go about it:

- Check with your nearby gyms to see what certificates and training they'd require you to have. Contact multiple to get a better idea.

- Look up the courses you found out about online.

- Make a habit of continuously reading actual books on nutrition and training (not just blog posts).

- See if any of the gyms would be willing to sponsor your course in return for work. Most likely you'll have to

- Offer to give classes at your local gym outside of work, nighttime.

- Build a list of people you help. Stay in touch with them – these are a very valuable asset.

- Once you feel that you have enough real people and real offers from gyms to support yourself full time, make the switch. Until then, work at it and make sure to hone your skills and expand your knowledge.
athlegan
Site Admin

Postby mariale » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:51 am

Hey athlegan, thanks so much for being supportive and for the advice.
I've been researching more about this and I need to get a certification. I've spent all day trying to decide which one I'll go for. This article has helped me though to have a clearer idea > http://www.ptpioneer.com/best-personal- ... ion-guide/
I'll follow your advice and go check with nearby gyms to see how I can get started, or if they'd allow me to train people after I have the certification
Also, starting on it as a side job seems more clever, right?
Thank you!
mariale

Postby athlegan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Cool! Yeah, it does seem more clever. ;) Good luck and keep us posted!
athlegan
Site Admin

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness