Cross Trainer vs Treadmill

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Cross Trainer vs Treadmill

Postby visforme » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:00 am

Hey, I've recently took the step from part-time vegetarian to full-blown Vegan and I'm really getting a good control of my diet now. The next step is to introduce a good exercise routine into my daily regime. I want to get a piece of equipment for home rather than going and using the gym. I'm really only concerned at the moment with burning my excess fat away and maintaining a slender physique, improving my cardio fitness along the way. I'm basically wondering which kind of machine would be recommended between a cross-trainer and a treadmill, what are the advantages/disadvantages in peoples opinions? Thanks.
Dana
visforme

Re: Cross Trainer vs Treadmill

Postby visforme » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:16 am

I've only really used treadmills in the past and may have used a cross trainer maybe once at the gym but didn't enjoy it as it felt awkward. I've been reading though that it really depends on the type of cross trainer you use as the stride length that its set to will only suit certain individuals. I'm presuming the stride length was too big and that's why it felt uncomfortable. It would also appear that cross trainers do not impact your joints like a treadmill does even though a treadmill may be better than running on the paved streets. I have to think about this for when I'm older as I could cause damge now that impacts me later in life. I think I'm going to go for a cross trainer, all things considered as I've been put off treadmills and the cross trainer will give me a better all round workout, even though a treadmill might burn more calories. I'm not a big girl, just have a bit of tub, so I think a cross trainer would prove more useful to me. I've been looking at some for sale at www.for-sale.ie. There's new and used ones so I could get a slightly better one that's used and get a few extra functions to keep my exercises varied. There's a 2-in-1 elleptical cross trainer & exercise bike that's going new for €103 euros for instance. From what I've read though, its prob worth spending that extra bit more to make sure you can adjust the stride and that its well built and won't breakdown after a bit of use.
Dana
visforme

Re: Cross Trainer vs Treadmill

Postby xJimx » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Firstly congrats on going vegan :D

To be honest I'm not a fan of either contraption you mention. It would be far better to run outside, get a bike or go swimming etc. - any reason why you can't do this instead? Bear in mind that the sort of treadmills & cross-trainers you see in gyms cost many hundreds of pounds (in my gym as the machines like this are well in excess of £1k each), so anything you buy for 100 Euros is likely to not be very robust.

I wouldn't worry about damaging yourself for later in life - done properly any form of exercise is safe including road running (i.e. don't run crazy distances until you're ready & wear properly-fitted running shoes). Is this why you're wary of the gym perhaps? Resistance training (weights) is actually good for joint health & also an excellent way to reduce bodyfat, as well as obviously to build muscle.
DYEL
xJimx

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness