Crossfit vs Power lifting/Olympic lifting

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Crossfit vs Power lifting/Olympic lifting

Postby the crazyest vegan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 am

First off this is NOT a discussion about which is better. But rather the different training techniques employed by both niche's of sport.
Background; started crossfit 3 months ago, enjoying the weights a lot lot lot.

Taking it right back to a fundamental level. What has impressed me so much about my local crossfit "box" is how hands on the coaches are, constantly watching no matter how many people are attending the classes.
And when attending a strict olympic lifting class, the coach doesn't let you progress from a plastic bar weighing a few ounce to weights until your form is spot on.
I have never attended a powerlifting or serious weight lifting gym as such that focus on the main olympic lifts and was wondering on the coaching program in these places in terms of form rather than weights.

Cheers n' gone

cv
Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident, may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - for it is only action that can make a man.
the crazyest vegan

Re: Crossfit vs Power lifting/Olympic lifting

Postby JP » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 pm

hey, this subject is interesting, even no replies yet :D

it seems to me that there are huge differences in quality between crossfit boxes, and the skill level in olympic lifting among the coaches. Sounds like you have had a good experience though!
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:46 pm

[quote="the crazyest vegan"]What has impressed me so much about my local crossfit "box" is how hands on the coaches are, constantly watching no matter how many people are attending the classes.
And when attending a strict olympic lifting class, the coach doesn't let you progress from a plastic bar weighing a few ounce to weights until your form is spot on.

I am totally biased, have never trained in a box and only at an olympic gym.

Firstly even a rubbish coach can be constantly watching ;)

On a more serious note though, maybe the difference in culture between the different gyms are who they target.
Olympic gyms need to cater for kids to get them into it young, coaching kids comes with a major duty of care and different methods. Crossfit is all about grown ups getting fit enough to take what ever life throws at them.

Powerlifting is just for people who like shouting ;)
No mention of Strongman gyms?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby the crazyest vegan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:24 am

Great to finally have some replies haha.

True bad coaches can always be watching. But they come up and run through each and every motion with you slowly until you have it, and I've seen them do that with girls who are using a plastic practice bar, to strongmen who are deadlifting 160kg.

Strongman gyms, no experiance with them. Anything to offer on the kind of support you can get at these?
Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident, may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - for it is only action that can make a man.
the crazyest vegan

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness