Does Cardio Stimulate Glycogen Storage?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Does Cardio Stimulate Glycogen Storage?

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:10 pm

I weigh myself once a morning as part of a program where my calories are controlled. I've noticed that my weight goes temporarily up the morning after gym night ( cardio ) and then comes down about a day later. I'm wondering why.

Does cardiovascular exercise stimulate a human body to fully replenish its glycogen ( glucose and water ) stores in the musculature?

Any other ideas what could be causing this?

I know some foods can stay in your guts for days. I also know water retention is a capricious phenomenon with many and inconsistent causes.

Just curious.
beforewisdom

Re: Does Cardio Stimulate Glycogen Storage?

Postby kallefs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:08 pm

My guess is that you eat more on training days.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby tal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:04 pm

no, it doesn't. it would do the exact opposite.

it's probably water retention. if you keep a food log you could compare what you have eaten the day you train to the weigh in the day after.
tal

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:41 pm

[quote="kallefs"]My guess is that you eat more on training days.

As I wrote in the original post I monitor my calories daily. The difference between different days would be less than 50 calories max, not nearly enough to explain the fluctuations.
beforewisdom

Postby mouche » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:42 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"][quote="kallefs"]My guess is that you eat more on training days.

As I wrote in the original post I monitor my calories daily. The difference between different days would be less than 50 calories max, not nearly enough to explain the fluctuations.

Do you drink more water as a result of the longer-duration cardio?
Do you train later?
Does the fact that you are exercising mean you eat later and/or closer to bedtime?

I normally weigh more if I haven't slept well or enough, or after a late training session like Monday nights, so those are the lines I would be thinking along.
mouche

Postby kallefs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]As I wrote in the original post I monitor my calories daily. The difference between different days would be less than 50 calories max, not nearly enough to explain the fluctuations.

You just said that you monitored your calorie intake, I just figured that you ate more on training days. Now I am out of ideas :)
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:03 pm

I did a cardio workout again last night. Instead of gaining water weight I weighed in this morning a pound lighter.

So, my theory about cardio stimulating glycogen storage seems to have a hole in it.

The weight is water weight. I am stuck as to the reason for the trend I've noticed about it being gained/retained the morning after a cardio workout.

I've read that some vegetables can stay in a human being's gut for days.

I've noticed that when I eat a lot of leafy greens and high fiber cereals I tend to hold onto water weight. If I eat less of those things for a day or two I will usually get a steep drop in water weight. Those things can't weigh that much, but maybe their digestion holds up water from leaving the system.

Sodium could be a factor too, I don't track it all. I discounted that as an issue in the past because I drink a lot of water, enough to stimulate my system letting go. I also drink tea during the workday before cardio workouts which keeps things flowing.

If it bothers me enough I will try manipulating my sodium and fiber levels to see if that makes a difference.
beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:31 am

[quote="beforewisdom"]
Sodium could be a factor too, I don't track it all.

The favourite short term bulkers tip is sushi, the rice and soya sauce apparently suck in water. So my guess would be sodium.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 pm

I usually make those cruciferous green leafy vegetables with sodium reach sauces. I use sriracha like ketchup all of the time.

Once I get settled in my new routine I will have to experiment with isolating out some foodstuffs, super fibery stuff, green vegetables and sodium to satisfy my curiosity over which is the culprit.

The carido session I had where I lost a pound of water the next day was also done slower, I paid attention to the built in heart rate monitor to keep myself in the fat burning zone, so I am wondering if intensity of the cardio might also influence the retaining of water weight.
beforewisdom

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness