Resources on swimming.

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Resources on swimming.

Postby sergio » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Does anyone knows good sites with technique tips and training plans? Beginners oriented. There's a zillion of pages and youtubes and that's precisely why I am asking. A sort of pre-filter, it has been some serious infoxication while trying.

My goal is improve back swimming and crawl. A difficult thing to learn by your own but I can't afford classes at the moment, that's why I'm looking for some sites with exercises, advices and stuff.

Thanks in advance.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Resources on swimming.

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 am

I am a swim coach. I've seen good swim videos, but rarely ones that can show a beginner how to get better. Swim instruction needs to be so tailored that what's good for one swimmer is poison to another.
Posting video of yourself swimming and getting critiques might be more useful.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Re: Resources on swimming.

Postby sergio » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 am

I really trust you if you say that. I found a book in the public library with some exercises (pullbuoys and stuff), I think I'm going to try some and see what happens. Having good "feelings" about my back swimming, much much worse about the crawl.

However, if I manage to make a decent video I'll post it. Thanks a lot :)
Last edited by sergio on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sergio

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:27 pm

So you know, there's lots of ways to get a few free lessons from swim coaches.

First, you should ask. I always gave away a few swim lessons for free when I was trying to get new clients. I figured that a swimmer's success would give me more clients than anything else.
Second you should ask good swimmers for any tips if you meet some in the pool. Friends ask me for tips all of the time, and I often welcome the space to do swim analysis. I've helped more than just a few lane-mates.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 pm

I'll second what Coach Rodolfo says - having someone look at you (who knows what they are doing) at the pool can be invaluable. It is very difficult to really feel and understand what you are doing with your body in the water, especially for newer swimmers, so feedback can get you on the right track much more easily.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby sergio » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Yeah, I know it's a hard thing to learn without someone watching you. And it looks more difficult now having in mind that the same guidelines are not good for everyone.

If I keep going I guess it's a matter of time to meet someone willing to share advice. Time to get rid of some shyness, though. On the other hand I think short sessions (25-30' including warm up and cool down) focusing on correct breathing and form would be ok to start with.
sergio

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:00 pm

The best swimmer focus on floating for a bit.

You can always watch the Olympics and try to copy that. ;)
I know I do.

Breathing is usually the biggest problem for beginner swimmers. Focusing on that is a great place to start.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness