keeping track of muscle vs fat with Fitbit Aria scales

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

keeping track of muscle vs fat with Fitbit Aria scales

Postby etherspin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:28 pm

I thought this was a complete waste of time (I own the fitbit wireless pedometer/altimeter tracker - considered a companion product to this device) until I read " four sets of ITO electrodes shoot a small — 180 micro amps, small — imperceptible current up one leg and down the other to measure body impedance, and thus, your body's fat versus lean mass composition" now it seems pretty damn cool, you can view all your progress as stats or graphs via your phone (apps for android and iphone) or via the website.

the review is here http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/23/29663 ... tbit-wi-fi

and the companion fitbit ultra is excellent - I wear it to track sleep (via a comfy arm band) and I wear it to track my daily milage on foot which includes height climbed via its altimeter. It can also tell dummy exercise from real (if you stand on the spot and try to simulate walking or jogging) via a set of 3d sensors more kitted out than a Wii remote.
it needs charging once a week,just by sitting on its computer attached dock and it will send stats every 15 min when within 15 min of the dock so you will automagically get emails congratulating you on things like the first time you clocked 20000 steps in a day or climbed 10 staircases. also very easy to choose to compete with friends and compare metrics.

review here http://www.theverge.com/2011/10/11/2483 ... tra-review
etherspin

Re: keeping track of muscle vs fat with Fitbit Aria scales

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:11 pm

yeah what is the reliability like? If you stand on it a bunch of times do you get the same result? Does anything throw it off?

So long as it has reliability I'd be all for it. I don't care if body fat is over or underestimated so long as it's done so consistently.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: keeping track of muscle vs fat with Fitbit Aria scales

Postby vCLaW » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:52 pm

I think body impedance measurements can be affected by how hydrated you are, or if your feet are wet etc. So may not be all that accurate. Though it should be fairly consistent if you used them at the same time of day, and would give you an idea of the overall trend.

I do want one of those wifi scales, that can log to a website or app etc. How does this one compare to other makes, eg Withings or Tanita? They are all rather expensive.
vCLaW

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness