What should I do?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

What should I do?

Postby McVegetable » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:29 am

I'm just getting into this fitness stuff, and I'd like to learn some different things I can do; exercises mostly, I suppose.

I don't have access to a gym, machines, or any big weights. Not that I'd know how to use them anyway :]

However, I do have:
-Space to run
-2 5lb dumb bells, and 2 20lb dumb bells
-"Pull up thing" (Tree branches, haha!)
-Some crappy running shoes
-A lack of patience. Not sure if that's good or bad. Maybe both.

At the moment, I run, do pushups, attempt pullups, and do anything I can really think of with the dumb bells that doesn't seem to hurt.

Also; I don't really know any "proper forms" for most exercises, I've just kind of been winging it and hoping I don't hurt myself. Possibly due to impatience, haha

And information or tips would be greatly appreciated!
McVegetable

Re: What should I do?

Postby baldy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:03 am

The most important question is actually what do you enjoy doing and what are your goals.

This thread would be a good start with bodyweight stuff -> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11695

20lb dumbbells are only really useful for curls.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:01 am

exrx and t-nation both have extensive libraries for lifting exercise form fyi
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby ninearms » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:12 am

a) Assess where you are at the moment (your Point A), and what your goal is (your Point B) (see this article by Dan John).

b) Find something you enjoy that fits in with your journey from Point A to Point B. If you don't know what you enjoy try out a few things and find out.

c) Plan your training based on a and b.

d) Reassess a and b on a regular basis in order to inform c.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Konstantin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:25 am

Depends on what you want to acheive. If the answer to this is vague, eg 'get fitter' that's fine, but don't expect this to result in a programme with specific outcomes.

Some principles
- Do what you enjoy
- Write down everything. You'll see improvement and see if you're doing too much of one thing.
- Get some variety
- Have a schedule. This may be specific, it may be 'exercise for 40 mins on Wed night'

This link: http://www.alfsg.org.uk/fitness.html has four guides in the second section that were compiled here and have loads of variety.

Myabe you just want to start simple and do exercises targetting different part of your body, eg squats, press ups, crunches and do 3 sets of each. the more you do the more idea you'll get of what you want.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby McVegetable » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks!
I suppose I don't have a goal as of right now, but I'll try to figure one out.
And thanks for those references, they will help a lot :]
McVegetable

Postby McVegetable » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:05 pm

So I have another question...
Because all I can really do at the moment is body weight stuff, and nothing is too extreme or difficult at the moment, would it be harmful to do similar exercises each day? Like do pushups everyday? Do I really need the "rest days" I've heard other people talk about?

Also: I try to do enough exercises to really work my muscles and such, but I'm not really getting sore at all... Is this an indication that I'm not working hard enough to stimulate muscle growth?

Thanks much!
McVegetable

Postby Big Foot Marty » Mon May 28, 2012 12:09 am

great responses- Especially DO WHAT YOU ENJOY....

Won't keep it up if you hate it....
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:46 pm

McVegetable wrote:So I have another question...
Because all I can really do at the moment is body weight stuff, and nothing is too extreme or difficult at the moment, would it be harmful to do similar exercises each day? Like do pushups everyday? Do I really need the "rest days" I've heard other people talk about?

Also: I try to do enough exercises to really work my muscles and such, but I'm not really getting sore at all... Is this an indication that I'm not working hard enough to stimulate muscle growth?

Thanks much!

Don't worry about muscle soreness; it's a poor indicator of progress.

Rest days may be needed, and then again maybe not. Keep plugging away at stuff daily, you only need to throw rest days in if you are feeling sore in your joints, losing sleep, not sleeping, have a messed up appetite and other horribleness like that. If you feel fresh, keep going!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby McVegetable » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Thank you for the help!
I'm trying to find something that I enjoy doing, maybe I'll stumble upon something soon =]
Thanks!
McVegetable

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness