TRX... Experience? Comments? Thoughts?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

TRX... Experience? Comments? Thoughts?

Postby ida » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:24 pm

I am curious about starting using the TRX training system at my local gym. The people using it seem strong and the exercises look hard and challenging, and I have read that it is supposed to really good core training. So I am thinking of booking an appointment with one of the PT's at the gym to get an introduction to the training system and hopefully start using it on a regular basis.

Is there anyone here on VF who have any experience using the TRX? What level of fitness is required when starting using it? I have disproportionate weak upper body strength for my sport (rowing) in relation to my general fitness level, and I feel like this is the season when that should be changed. So I am kind of looking for something to build up both upper body strength and core muscles at the same time.

I know that it is a training system developed for military purposes originally, but now it seems to have become more mainstream (although you can buy it in a special Force edition, with clear design references to military equipment... :roll: ) Other comments or thoughts regarding the TRX?
there is always time for rowing
ida

Re: TRX... Experience? Comments? Thoughts?

Postby soniczip » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 am

hi ida.

i use it regularly as part of my functional training.

no fitness level is required when starting. you can do exercises for upper, core and lower body; there are exercises with different degrees of difficulty, and you can also adjust any exercise accordingly to your goals: strength, maintaining, cardio, etc.

most importantly, you can do it at home, either connecting a metal bar to two walls (like i did in my bedroom), or temporarily fixing it to a door and removing it after your routine.

there are plenty of websites or videos you can find online, but some lessons could become handy at the beginning.

let's speak about it in sa!
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby ida » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Oh, excellent! Then we will have much to talk about in SA. I have 100rds of questions :lol: Will you bring your TRX to SA btw?

you seem happy with the TRX so I might just go ahead with the booking of instructions at my gym.

oh, and thank you for you quick reply. Much appreciated.
ida

Postby soniczip » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:05 pm

[quote="ida"]Oh, excellent! Then we will have much to talk about in SA. I have 100rds of questions :lol: Will you bring your TRX to SA btw?

you seem happy with the TRX so I might just go ahead with the booking of instructions at my gym.

oh, and thank you for you quick reply. Much appreciated.

no problems :D
i don't think i'm bringing it ... unless you are willing to exercise in a dorm after a full day of driving and walking :lol:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby ida » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:09 pm

My ambition is to do some sort of training at least every second day, but I will bring some stuff in order to be able to make that happen (yoga mat etc.), regardless if I have to do it in a dorm, outside, on the beach. But we will see if the ambition is possible to execute when we get to the different venues in SA.
ida

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness