10 Exercise Myths Debunked by Science

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

10 Exercise Myths Debunked by Science

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57 pm

1. No pain, no gain
  2. Soreness After Exercise is Caused by Lactic Acid Building Up in Your Muscles
  3. Exercise Takes Long Hours/Is Worthless If You Can't Exercise Regularly
  4. You Need a Sports Drink When Exercising to Replenish Your Body's Electrolytes/Minerals/Etc
  5. Stretching Before Exercise Will Prevent Injury
  6. Working Out Will Only Build Muscle, Not Help You Lose Weight
  7. Exercise Will Help You Lose Weight Quickly
  8. You Need to Take Supplements to Build Muscle
  9. If You Don't Exercise When You're Young, It's Dangerous When You Get Older
  10. Working Out at Home/Working Out at the Gym is Better than Working Out at Home/Working Out at the Gym

From
10 Stubborn Exercise Myths that Won’t Die, Debunked by Science

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: 10 Exercise Myths Debunked by Science

Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:06 am

Seems about right!
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby lobsteriffic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:52 am

I honestly didn't know #2, it surprised me.
lobsteriffic

Postby fredrikw » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:11 am

The only problem is that this will probably mean that the opposite will be the next myth, that is not taking into account the whole story but just the headline. The myth pendulum swings back and forth.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:50 am

beforewisdom wrote:[list=1]
[*]Exercise Will Help You Lose Weight Quickly

In what way is that not true? I can think of plenty of examples from my life that prove this is true.
Hiking Fox

Postby baldy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:18 am

It really isn't a good article to just cut the headings from.
The inverse of the previous myth, this is the one that usually turns people off from exercise entirely when they spend hours exercising and don't see the results they were hoping for. The problem is that exercise can help you lose weight, but it's not the direct "calories in less than calories burned therefore weight lost" oversimplification that's so often repeated.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:[list=1]
[*]Exercise Will Help You Lose Weight Quickly

In what way is that not true? I can think of plenty of examples from my life that prove this is true.

I don't think that Exercise Will Help You Lose Weight Quickly is often true.
This works for me, because when I restart training (as I've done this last month), I also shift diet, and I shed weight consistently towards race weight (and more importantly, size).

However, this has not at all worked for my wife or her friends who trained for months on the bike many times a week to ready to cycle 500 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles. None of them lost any weight, and little, if any inches.

There's a way to loose weight (and inches) with training, but many people who just up the exercise with the goal of loosing weight fail because they don't use exercise as a part of loosing weight (and inches). They just use exercise as the whole thing, and then fail. My wife, and her friends, haven't been back to serious training since. I think it is because they think it "didn't work".
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 pm

There is the word "quickly".

To many people that means a dramatically unrealistic weight loss like losing a beer belly or huge ass after working out for 3 weeks........or even seeing a visible difference after 3 weeks.

To bind together JP and Xrodolfox's points, exercise without some kind of management of food intake ( not necessarily dieting, even just monitoring to avoid excess intake ) doesn't yield results AT ALL or yield visible results "quickly"........unless someone is performing at the level of athlete, a solider in basic training etc.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness