Signed up for a Tri

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Signed up for a Tri

Postby Chrisdryad » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Wow, looks like quite a few people doing events for the first time! Me too, I've signed up for an off road Duathlon (5k run, 16k mountain bike, 3k run). I started running at the beginning of this year and took part in my first 10K a few weeks ago (49.30-very pleased with that!) and I've been riding for a few years now but never done both.
Has anyone got any tips for the transition at all? I'd like to know the best way of changing from running shoes to bike shoes (SPDs) if anyone can help :) SO far I'm going with: mad rush to untie shoes, throw them out of way, try to get other shoes on correct foot, trip over bike etc :wink:
Thanks, Chris
Twigs and gravel-a good answer to the quetion 'what do you eat?'.
Chrisdryad

Postby skoptic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:15 am

[quote="Chrisdryad"]Has anyone got any tips for the transition at all? I'd like to know the best way of changing from running shoes to bike shoes (SPDs) if anyone can help :) SO far I'm going with: mad rush to untie shoes, throw them out of way, try to get other shoes on correct foot, trip over bike etc :wink:
Thanks, Chris

Heh.. I've mastered that approach ;) Things to help in the transition might be (although some may not be good for off road Duathlons)

- Ride / run without socks
- Run > Bike - Leave SPD's clipped in and mount bike on the move, putting shoes on after a few pedal strokes (depends on terrain though!)
- Practice taking feet out of shoes at end of bike (leaving them clipped in) and then practice dismounting while moving (might not be so applicable to an offroad Dua though)
- Get elastic laces for both pairs of shoes.. no need to untie, just slip on / off
- An inner sense of calm (only comes from practice!)

If you are doing some brick training sessions (run then bike or bike then run) ... practice this every time ad it'll become 2nd nature :) Happy racing!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Chrisdryad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks Skoptic, I'll be trying out some of your suggestions in the near future!
The terrain shouldn't be too technical so trying a transition on the move should be OK.
Twigs and gravel-a good answer to the quetion 'what do you eat?'.
Chrisdryad

Previous

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness