Learning to tumble turn in the pool

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Learning to tumble turn in the pool

Postby baldy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:21 pm

Looks like I am going to add some swimming to the training again. I would like to set myself a goal of learning to tumble turn.

I have read in some triathlon articles how its better not to tumble turn if you are training for open water/endurance as it spikes your heart rate and messes up your rhythm. Is this true or just nonsense to make people who cant tumble turn feel better?

So how do I learn to tumble turn? I know roughly how to do it and have tried it a number of times but it never clicked. The most important thing I think for me is to get the breathing pattern sorted. Do I need to take a breath on the last stroke before I turn or just keep in my normal breathing pattern?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Learning to tumble turn in the pool

Postby benzilla » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:38 pm

You shouldn't be taking a breath on the last stroke, unless you're so tired so you the air to complete the tumble turn.

I'd try to get the distance you start to turn correct, which depends on how fast you are going. Maybe try to do a turn from freestyle to backstoke, i.e. just like a forward roll, the get the timing right. When you've got the timing right, add in the twist so you can go from freestyle to freestyle.
benzilla

Postby Heinrich » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Im also learning that.

My teacher advised me to take a deep breath right before the turn since you want to glide a bit underwater after the turn and you also want to breath out during the turn to avoid water coming into your nose.

To get used to the turn, I would just swim a line and after each 1/4 or so make a roll and continue to swim.

For the turn at the end, I agree that its the distance that is the key. I also feel that it is easier when Im faster.
And concentrate on one thing at a time.
Heinrich

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:06 pm

People training for athletic swimming events claim that the turn give you a rest, which deprives you of stimulus you need to get your body to adapt.

That problem is easily solved by joining a Master's club. Unless you are an Olympic swimmer there is no way that you will not leave exhausted.

In my experience the key trick to turning well is to think of reaching between your legs. That will cause your arm and body to move in a way that will make the proper movements for the turn almost happen by itself.
beforewisdom

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness