Vegan food and triathlon

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan food and triathlon

Postby trockenthal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi,
I need some suggestions on how to intake 100% vegan food during long rides, runs and generally during triathlon work outs or races.
Thank you in advance.
The truth is in the process.
trockenthal

Re: Vegan food and triathlon

Postby JenBALB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:16 pm

I've heard in several places and from people in the know that a good thing is to bake a potato and take it with you to munch on. Super high on potassium and carbs. Should get you through the rough spots.
Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man. -Friedrich Nietzsche
JenBALB

Postby fredrikw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:58 pm

potatoes, although a high percentage of carbs, has quite small energy content. you need to pack a huge bag of potatoes if you want to rely on them for energy during a triathlon.

for endurance food just look for carbs, most gels and sport drinks are vegan, and there are lots of energy bars as well.

here's a home made energy bar I've used many times
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=589
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby benzilla » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 pm

I use Endura powder as a sports drink, and usually eat bananas, sultanas or jam sandwichs. The only non-vegan stuff my friends usually eat are lollies, and you can find vegan lollies if that's your thing.
benzilla

Postby Konstantin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:17 pm

The Thrive Diet has a 'cake' which works well for me. Cooked rice, soaked dates and ground sunflowers mashed together. Easy to eat and carry, and can go in a pocket or running belt. Tastes good as well, although it can look like you're eating a turd out of a bag.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby skoptic » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:19 am

I tend to buy foods / bars etc. but I should be making my own .... still here's what I use in my tri training / racing

Swim ... Water or high5 sports drink for sessions of 2 hours
Rides ... Trek/Nakd bars, Nakd flapjacks, Houmous sandwich, Dried fruit, torq bars, clif shot bloks, sport drink (high5)
Run ... Gels (clif or torq), sports drink (high5)

So a season can end up a bit expensive, but it's my hobby and I don't buy too much 'tri' kit, so I don't mind. Some of that is just for training, rather than racing (i.e. no drink on swim race... also no sandwiches in races!). It's totally easy to be a vegan triathlete ... just pack enough food :-) Happy training .....
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:23 pm

I bring store brought gels and bars with me on rides. Bananas on long long rides strapped to my frame.

What distances are you (OP) training for? For sprints, you really shouldn't need anything but a bit of hydration.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am

Another tactic is to take no food and do it entirely on liquids alone. There's no issue getting enough carbs or cals/hr even if you "need" a rather large intake - even for 7-8hr type sessions. You just need to carry enough extra drink powder with you. However, some people find they want something solid in their stomach so they don't feel hungry. Luckily I don't have that problem! :) Whatever you do, it is a good idea to at least occasionally eat/drink in training what you plan to race with (for longer races). Often something that goes down well for 2-3 hours can get pretty repulsive after eating or drinking it for 5 hours under intensity - it's all down to your stomach and tastes. Often the less sweet and flavour, the better.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby MikayP » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:45 am

well in terms of tri races i usually do just gels for the bike, then their sports drinks (so far all have been vegan safe) at the aid stations. if its an olympic triathlon ill put roughly 5 soaked dates in a blender w/ a little celery + water and blend it really good. if its a 1/2 ironman ill have that homemade gel then 2 gu's taped to my bike

if its just steady stuff while training ill usually have more solid food with me like bananas (mostly), dates, maybe an apple or two. the reason i do this for training and more paste/liquid stuff for racing in A - im lazy and dont want to keep on making my own gu's, and B - it takes less blood/effort to digest already paste stuff compared to more solid stuff like bananas. its not a huge difference, but looking for every edge possible

been wanting to try some commercial sports drinks, but theres just so many.... any recommendations besides the ones posted?
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Postby trockenthal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks a lot to all of you. I must say I have enough suggestions to try during my trainings. The best "alchemia" will then be used in my first 70.3, next summer. I will the let you know how I felt.
To all of you in the N-emisphere I wish all the best for the winter build up. Those in more temperate climate, enjoy warm trainings and races!!
The truth is in the process.
trockenthal

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness