I've stopped losing weight :-(

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: I've stopped losing weight :-(

Postby baldy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:06 pm

[quote="CoeyCoey"]Ok, so none of you have tried it, not have you researched it to know what you are talking about, but you all refuse to look into it yourself. You are just repeating the propaganda that has been fed to you based on no research or studies. Remember, an old lie is more powerful than a new truth. Try keeping an open mind and don't bash something that works for someone. Maybe it won't work for you, and I wouldn't expect it to work for you, because if you think it won't work, then you have already made up your mind before you even begin.

I would love to continue debating with you, lets start a new thread. :)
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:36 am

[quote="CoeyCoey"]Ok, so none of you have tried it, not have you researched it to know what you are talking about, but you all refuse to look into it yourself..

I do love the blinkered arrogance of this statement. I suppose your idea of "knowing what you're talking about" is to ram raid pubmed for a couple of hundred abstracts that are either of limited relevance or say nothing loud. If you're the expert, bring it on. In my estimation that level of expertise is akin to spending a few wet saturday afternoons playing microsoft flight simulator and arguing the toss with a pilot that They're Doing It Wrong. It's not even at the two hundred hour stage, is it my friend?

Plus, don't be so sure that people haven't tried it. Personally I've spent 24-72h with limited or no food before now several times. I wouldn't call it intermittent fasting or otherwise because that it was not part of the reasons why. But I can't say I experienced any health revelations other than needing a mega-brace-yourself-mildred-dump once the opportunity for a good meal presented itself. And I certainly would NOT recommend it to the OP by virtue of their being a random person on the interwebnets, who may for example be an insulin dependent diabetic or have other medical history for all you or I know or can tell.

[quote="CoeyCoey"]I wouldn't expect it to work for you, because if you think it won't work, then you have already made up your mind before you even begin.

OK, so what you're really telling us is this:

[quote="CoeyCoey"]I would expect it to work for me, because if I think it will work, then I have already made up my mind before I even begin.

Hmm, let's think about this. Wait a minute. There's this thing I think I might have to lecture my first year undergrads about next wednesday. I can't for the life of me think what it is. Oh! It's coming to me now....Placebo effect!

I think you've been slightly hoisted by your own petard on this one.

And so, I'll bow out of this right now until yet another circular thread appears on this topic. But to make up for my dreariness I will leave you with this 10 minute beat poem, which might offer us all more insight into this whole shebang and things like placebos than all the pubmed abstracts under the sun. Enjoy it, and let Bounce get some constructive advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0W7Jbc_Vhw

By definition, I begin,
Alternative medicine, I continue,
Has either not been proved to work,
Or been proved not to work.
Do you know what they call "alternative medicine" that's been proved to work?

Medicine.
Gelert

Postby Johnboy74 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:49 pm

This thread is bonkers...

Coey, Coey, Coey, ok your fasting fair enough, but it is short term starvation at the end of the day, which will bring quick weight loss.
But quick weight loss isn't a good thing, gradual weight loss is a much healthier way to shed pounds.

The old burning more than you consume system works, it works for everybody, it will work for you.
Maybe your just too inpatient to loose weight gradually.

I would recommend bounce to swerve the fasting route 100%
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby CoeyCoey » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:10 pm

I am not here to debate fasting. I am only offering Bounce another option in which she can research herself. Listening to the advice on this board hasn't worked for me, and I have found that most of the advice on this board is pure BS with no scientific backing. You don't even research something before you bash it. Calling fasting starvation shows your complete ignorance of either fasting or starvation.
CoeyCoey

Postby Gelert » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:36 pm

[quote]Calling fasting starvation shows your complete ignorance of either fasting or starvation.

Fasting is starvation flavoured with (quasi)religious associations. The physiological effect is the induction of responses associated with starvation. You have posted links to abstracts which demonstrate this yourself, for example metabolic adaptations to dietary insufficiency. I suppose dietary insufficiency is a £20 way of saying starvation. Your physiology makes no such etymological distinctions.

Can I suggest that you may find the forums at http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/ more to your liking? They often have science-u-like.
Gelert

Postby JP » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:16 am

[quote="CoeyCoey"]I have found that most of the advice on this board is pure BS with no scientific backing.

harsh words - especially since veganfitness seems to have the most solid advice anywhere among the vegan forums and unsubstantiated claims get challenged fast. This may upset some people who have strong beliefs and do not like them to be challenged, and that is unfortunate.

But i am glad and proud that there is a vegan forum which is very much evidence based and quackery free - too many forums seem to get plagued by all kinds of fringe beliefs.

Bounce, apologies your thread got a bit off rails, but thats sometimes the nature of discussion forums :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Catt Queen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:02 am

I just listen to my body... if I don't eat properly then I feel tired, weak, and shaky. That is not good.
Catt Queen

Postby Bounce » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:45 pm

By the way... Is it best to do weight machines before or after cardio?

I have heard that before burns more fat
Bounce

Postby flatbushvegan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:56 am

I lift before cardio because I need to go in fresh to make gains lifting, but the cardio feels fine after lifting. This is the order most people do it, I believe, although it may depend on the intensity of your cardio session.
flatbushvegan

Postby tal » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:24 am

[quote="Bounce"]By the way... Is it best to do weight machines before or after cardio?

I have heard that before burns more fat

If you have energy to do cardio after a weights session - you haven't lifted enough :)

Seriously though, I don't think it matters much, as long as you do the weights. Find a routine that is enjoyable for you, this will help you keep at it longer and therefore get more benefits.
tal

Postby fredrikw » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:34 am

isn't some light non-impact cardio beneficial after lifting weights? not as in getting a good cardio-vascular workout, but to aid in recovery after lifting.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:07 pm

It is best to avoid weight MACHINES from miles away!!!!!

And all this cardio after weightlifting, wtf??

If you're really loaded with energy after lifting weights, you did not lift heavy enough!

And if after that you still have energy left, fuck the cardio machines, run and or cycle yourself home!
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

it's vegan to eat another vegan, right?

Postby XkillerX » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:08 pm

As for the food abstinence breathatarian quacks, may I advise you to go for a weekend of fasting with me somewhere, that might change your perspective on said matter... :twisted:
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby Bounce » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:49 pm

I don't know if I'll consider fasting yet... My lifestyle is quite active, so if I did it, I'd rather try it with a day of meditation. :)

I am gonna weight myself fortnightly to monthly from now on, as my waist is shrinking, but less so on the scales!
Bounce

Postby Bounce » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Woo... I am losing weight again! :lol:

If I lose one more pound I'll have lost twenty, then be half a stone off my target weight. 8)
Bounce

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness