I've stopped losing weight :-(

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: I've stopped losing weight :-(

Postby fredrikw » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:17 pm

[quote="CoeyCoey"]I think you should do some more research on fasting. Fasting is NOT starvation and people who call it starvation are clueless to its benefits or even the different kinds of fasting. Do you own research and don't listen to the scare mongers who only promote Western cures.

What would fasting "cure" in this case?
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:25 pm

[quote="CoeyCoey"]
Are you sure you are calorie deficient? Bread, pasta, rice, potato, are all rather high in calories.

From the first page of this thread:

[quote="Bounce"]
I'm currently consuming roughly around 1100-1300 calories per day...

I hope you agree that is calorie deficient?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby CoeyCoey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:46 am

[quote="baldy"][quote="CoeyCoey"]
Are you sure you are calorie deficient? Bread, pasta, rice, potato, are all rather high in calories.

From the first page of this thread:

[quote="Bounce"]
I'm currently consuming roughly around 1100-1300 calories per day...

I hope you agree that is calorie deficient?

That doesn't help. Some people don't always read labels correctly. They see the calories on a package and think the whole package contains that number of calories, not just one serving. Not saying this is the case, just trying to get more information.
CoeyCoey

Postby CoeyCoey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:47 am

[quote="fredrikw"][quote="CoeyCoey"]I think you should do some more research on fasting. Fasting is NOT starvation and people who call it starvation are clueless to its benefits or even the different kinds of fasting. Do you own research and don't listen to the scare mongers who only promote Western cures.

Google fasting benefits and you can find thousands of studies on the benefits of fasting.
CoeyCoey

Postby flatbushvegan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:58 am

I don't understand how fasting is going to help someone improve their fitness, which always is more important than "losing weight" on its own (someone doesn't want to lose muscle, and most modern people could stand to build some, and thin people are not automatically healthy). I'm skeptical of the idea that fasting is going to improve your exercise performance--if I'm not eating enough, I immediately drop in strength, endurance etc. I think there's a physiological basis for this--but I'm not going to attempt to explain it, as I'm not qualified to do so. It seems like you'd be needlessly compounding the stress on your body.

I think the important thing to keep in sight for the original poster is that healthy, high-performing athletes and other populations (take the Okinawans, who always seem to get cited for their health and longevity) are not eating according to "raw" ideology and are not fasting. They're eating a healthy diet, getting plenty of activity, and living their lives as happily as they can, not feeling like failures or whatever. Why make things more complicated than that with special fasting or "raw" restrictions (nothing against raw foods in themselves, but living and training on a raw vegan diet is not for everyone--honestly, a cooking-based vegan diet is socially isolating enough in an omnivore-hegemonic society).

My tired, post-work thoughts...
flatbushvegan

Postby fredrikw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:03 am

[quote="CoeyCoey"][quote="fredrikw"][quote="CoeyCoey"]I think you should do some more research on fasting. Fasting is NOT starvation and people who call it starvation are clueless to its benefits or even the different kinds of fasting. Do you own research and don't listen to the scare mongers who only promote Western cures.

Google fasting benefits and you can find thousands of studies on the benefits of fasting.

No no no, I was wondering why you suggested fasting in this particular issue, and what you think needs to be cured. Suggesting that I google to find out what you think is a strange reply to that.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby mabli » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:42 am

Bounce, I keep relatively thin by exercising reguarly and only eating 3 massive meals a day unless Im on a big hike when I have to snack. If I did ever want to lose more weight I would just cut out all puddings.

Not snacking and eating loads of fruit and veg and cutting out processed foods is the key as is getting into a regular eating routine which imo fasting would disrupt

I dont calorie count, once your body gets in a good routine and off refined sugars etc you'll be able to trust it to know when and what to eat
mabli

Postby baldy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:07 am

[quote="CoeyCoey"][quote="fredrikw"][quote="CoeyCoey"]I think you should do some more research on fasting. Fasting is NOT starvation and people who call it starvation are clueless to its benefits or even the different kinds of fasting. Do you own research and don't listen to the scare mongers who only promote Western cures.

That is a very poor argument, in fact I suggest you google "risks of fasting" and you can find thousands of studies on the risks of fasting.
If you really believe in it take some time to read some studies and pass the references on to us so we can also read them.

Do you own research and don't listen to the scare mongers who only promote alternative cures.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:26 am

Short interjection in defence of short term fasting: 36-45 hours has shifted chest infections/severe asthma that would normally take a week.

I'm not defending long term fasting or suggesting it for weight loss/gain, these are things I know nothing about. And I have no idea how it helps me, it just does - repeatedly.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby fredrikw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:57 am

[quote="Konstantin"]Short interjection in defence of short term fasting: 36-45 hours has shifted chest infections/severe asthma that would normally take a week.

I'm not defending long term fasting or suggesting it for weight loss/gain, these are things I know nothing about. And I have no idea how it helps me, it just does - repeatedly.

Although I'm not trying to take away your success rate here, your belief that it works for you or even the possibility that it actually works on a general basis, there's really no way that you could have known how long it would have taken without the fasting. Drawing any conclusions based on anecdotal evidence is always risky.

Having said that, within endurance sports there's a trend now to, perhaps not fasting, but training on very low glycogen and energy levels, and there are a lot of research project at the moment looking at positive outcomes from doing this. As far as I understand there are no conclusive scientific evidence for this yet, but it will definitely be interesting to follow this in the future.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby CoeyCoey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Why are you people so closed minded about something you haven't even researched? You are calling fasting starvation which it is not. You claim it causes muscle loss which it does not. You claim it causes stress on the body which in fact it gives the body a rest. Please educate yourself on the terms you are using before you use them.

The reason you lose strength and endurance when you stop eating is because your bodies ability to metabolize fat is not efficient. Intermittent fasting can help you exercise that part of your metabolism.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12051710
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15333159
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12753698
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8238 ... t=Abstract
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/81/1/69
CoeyCoey

Postby flatbushvegan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Even if it were the case you could perform as well off stored fat as food, what advantage would the original poster gain in doing so? Why not just eat a reasonable amount of calories, given the BMR/activity level, and slowly lose the body fat without forcing oneself not to eat for three days? It just seems like making things more difficult than they need to be (can anyone really fast easier than they can just make a small dietary adjustment in terms of calories consumed?).

It also seems like fasting to lose body fat would be a way to end up in a classic yo-yo situation. Most people aren't going to spend their whole life fasting on and off, and when they stop aren't they just going to fall back into the dietary habits that they were trying to modify from the start?
flatbushvegan

Postby tal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:41 pm

[quote="CoeyCoey"]I am going to attempt a once a week fast of 36 hours to keep my fat burning metabolism up.

[quote="CoeyCoey"]Intermittent fasting

That is not intermittent fasting. And going further off-topic, Martin Berkhan has done some work with intermittent fasting, as in, 16 hours, as in, just skip breakfast. He has seen decent results and I find it very interesting.

But recommending to someone who wants to lose weight that they fast for long periods of time, without giving any information as to why, or how to do it is, well, dangerous.

And with respect to the OP, this thread has kind of been derailed enough as it is. If you want to debate it, start a new thread.
tal

Postby baldy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:50 pm

I read the abstract of these 5 studies briefly, they all relate to fasting, but none seem to make any kind of dramatic finds or claims.

[quote]
Effects of Greek Orthodox Christian Church fasting on serum lipids and obesity. .....
CONCLUSIONS: Adherence to Greek Orthodox fasting periods contributes to a reduction in the blood lipid profile including a non-significant reduction in HDL cholesterol and possible impact on obesity.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/81/1/69 Alternate-day fasting in nonobese subjects: effects on body weight, body composition, and energy metabolism
This study is on non obese people losing weight, only has 16 subjects and no control group. Not something to base your diet on.

[quote="CoeyCoey"]
The reason you lose strength and endurance when you stop eating is because your bodies ability to metabolize fat is not efficient. Intermittent fasting can help you exercise that part of your metabolism.

How do you conclude this from these studies? None of these studies measure strength or endurance.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby CoeyCoey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Ok, so none of you have tried it, not have you researched it to know what you are talking about, but you all refuse to look into it yourself. You are just repeating the propaganda that has been fed to you based on no research or studies. Remember, an old lie is more powerful than a new truth. Try keeping an open mind and don't bash something that works for someone. Maybe it won't work for you, and I wouldn't expect it to work for you, because if you think it won't work, then you have already made up your mind before you even begin.
CoeyCoey

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness