I've stopped losing weight :-(

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: I've stopped losing weight :-(

Postby Konstantin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:13 am

Eat plenty and become a gym monster, active and putting on muscle, looking good and feeling even better.

Remember nobody sees their body the way other people do, it's easy to ring alarm bells when there's no fire.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby flatbushvegan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say I think everybody has offered you great advice. Try to have fun with your work outs and don't worry about "cutting" body fat or whatever with your diet. Focus on eating healthy, explore different cuisines, and just enjoy what you're doing. If you're still only eating 1300 calories a day, you are eating far, far below your maintenance for someone your size working out 5 days a week.

There are a couple reasonably accurate, standard equations used to estimate someone's estimated basal metabolic rate, the Mifflin-St. Jeor and the Harris-Benedict. The BMR is what your body needs to basically breath, run organs and necessary processes--basically like if someone were near comatose for a day. This does not include eating and digestion, which alone adds 10 more percent or so. And then there's an activity factor applied above that, accounting for everything from lifting yourself out of bed, to getting dressed, to walking, standing, etc. This is based on how active you are, OUTSIDE of your workouts. Then the workout schedule is applied above that. You are at least "moderately active," working out 5 days a week--have no idea how active your personal and professional lives are.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Punch in your age, size, and activity factor on the website above, which will give you both the Mifflin-St. Jeor and Harris-Benedict estimates. The website calls M-St. "RMR" (resting metabolic rate) and HB "BMR." The HB are always a bit higher for everyone, although they are still widely used (check out textbooks for trainers, doctors, nurses etc.).

I have a feeling you're eating below your BMR--basically, your body thinks it is dying. You can't lose the fat you want to lose in that state. Take the equation estimates INCLUDING YOUR ACTIVITY CALORIES, eat a 100-500 calories less per day or so, and focus on your training and having fun with life. :o

Trust me, if you're training five days a week, you're NOT A FAILURE. My god, think of all the people who huff and puff walking to their car in the morning. It's sad. (Not that those people are really "failures" either--just trying to offer perspective on your achievements in fitness and health. They are admirable!!)
flatbushvegan

Postby Bounce » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Sh*t...

According to this site, my BMR is 2,327 when worked out with the exercise I do... :?

The reason I ate so little was because trainers and other people suggested I did...

My usual day would be...

Bowl of museli with a splash of apple juice and a piece of fruit

A small cereal bar

Bagel or a piece of pitta and maybe some hummus and salad

Then for dinner I would eat something like a small veg curry and wild rice, or steamed vegetables and tofu... I went through a period not eating any carbs after 6pm because I was advised and one gym guy said not to eat hummus because it's too high in fat (I ignored him tbh because it's a protein source).

I didn't realise how much I was under eating. I am gonna try to eat at least around 1600 from now on!
Bounce

Postby flatbushvegan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:21 pm

That's a good start--you might even try eating the maintenance for a bit just to get your body out of the starvation mode. It probably will help you increase strength, endurance, power etc. in your training, since it's been hard on your body to do those things while severely under-eating. Some people will tell you to cut 1000 calories each day, but that is obviously something you can only do for a couple weeks, I would think. It seems like the more sustainable route is something like just below 2300 or whatever the maintenance is, and focusing on making your training more intense. Also, remember to avoid cutting back again if you feel "guilty" on your rest days--your body is burning calories repairing itself.

BTW, I did the same thing for awhile--eating far below my maintenance. After awhile, it gets to be a habit. You drop some weight pretty fast, you can still train, but then you hit a wall. Eating like a regular person for awhile helped, then I got some sports medicine textbooks from the university library and learned about the equations, how to sustainably improve exercise performance while cutting body fat, etc. It has helped out immensely. I've also found my mood to improve--when I was under-eating, I couldn't handle stress well AT ALL and was basically either angry or depressed most of the time.

Also, I generally avoid recommending random .com "diet" websites--so much crap out there--but I checked that site's equations against textbooks and they're they same (I worked out my numbers by hand, then did the web calculator, and they were the same.) Just so you don't worry about whether this is what doctors really use and so on.

One last thing: those are estimates based on study averages--some people burn slightly more calories than others. Not that much more, but just keep in mind those numbers are as accurate as you really need for your purposes, but they're not written in stone. Some people swear they lose more and increase performance more effectively by eating above the estimate part of the time.

Would love to hear updates on how you're doing. Keep us posted. :)
flatbushvegan

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:24 pm

[quote="Bounce"]
According to this site, my BMR is 2,327 when worked out with the exercise I do...

[quote="Bounce"] I am gonna try to eat at least around 1600 from now on!

Does not compute!
1600 - 2327 = -727
What did you base the 727 calorie deficit on? Most people have suggests only a 5% or between 100-500 calories deficit.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Bounce » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:46 pm

[quote="baldy"][quote="Bounce"]
According to this site, my BMR is 2,327 when worked out with the exercise I do...

[quote="Bounce"] I am gonna try to eat at least around 1600 from now on!

Does not compute!
1600 - 2327 = -727
What did you base the 727 calorie deficit on? Most people have suggests only a 5% or between 100-500 calories deficit.

I dunno... I am rubbish at maths... So 1900 it is.
Bounce

Postby flatbushvegan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Yeah, I thought 1600 was too extreme...

When I was cutting fat, I ate about maintenance, 100-200 calories below, more or less. At the same time, I took both my cardio and lifting more seriously. And also my rest days--very important to rest. I figure the calorie deficit is hard enough on your body.

That worked well, and the best part is I was still making gains in power and endurance, goals at the time. Gradually, my workouts became more intense and so I starting eating more. Now I don't worry about it, focus on training and not eating junk, and trying to enjoy life rather than look in the damn mirror all the time.

Plus, when I look at my life, the happiest times, to be honest, were in the days when I was sort of fat. Was in a great relationship, plenty of friends, playing music, making art, spending a lot of time camping and hiking, doing well generally. Fitness and being lean definitely aren't everything. Meditating on that always puts things in perspective, because I have a tendency, like a lot of people, to get too obsessed with making gains in training and not in all the other really important things in life. Just a tidbit I thought I'd share, as I was a little concerned by your initial "failure" feeling (I've known that myself--but figure out how to give yourself perspective each day.).
flatbushvegan

Postby Bounce » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:30 am

^ I think it's more like... I get wound up with targets. I got a social life and some great friends, my self-image has improved massively since dropping two clothes sizes.

However, I was hoping to be a size twelve for Christmas, which I guess now would be a size 14... But then in some ways I dunno why I am so fixated on numbers, as I would never judge another woman by her clothes size.

I actually measured my waist today and found I've lost around an inch in the past month :) I didn't realise that... Maybe using the weights has made my weight go up a bit whilst I build muscles as well.

But thanks people for the advice. I am glad to have been awakened by the fact I was eating a stupidly small amount of calories. Think I'll use this forum for advice more in the future, rather than ask gym trainers.

Hope you all have a beautiful day (despite the rain!),

Peace 'n' pancakes,

Bounce
Bounce

Postby KaliBaby » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:25 pm

[quote="Bounce"]I actually measured my waist today and found I've lost around an inch in the past month :) I didn't realise that... Maybe using the weights has made my weight go up a bit whilst I build muscles as well.

yup it happens. muscle weighs more than fat. don't get caught up with what the scale says, mark your progress by how your clothes fit. make sure you are drinking plenty of water too - helps release toxins and junk your body doesn't need as you become healthier and more fit. deprivation = a dead end. physically challenge yourself, eat clean and the weight will come off. keep a positive attitude!!! 8)
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby CoeyCoey » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:44 pm

What is your diet like? I have found the calories in < calories burned thing does not work for me if I eat the wrong foods. I can eat less than my BMR of tofu, faux meats, nut milks, rice, bread, etc and still gain weight. However, I can eat way more raw fruits and vegetables than my BMR and lose weight. I lose the majority of my 80 pounds of weight loss eating a lot of raw fruits a vegetables. The last 5 - 10 pounds have proven to be the most difficult.

Interestingly, this weekend I attended the Raw Spirit Fest and the subject of fasting was brought up. One theory about fat loss is that you need to exercise your fat burning metabolism. The theory that "grazing" is the best way to eat might inhibit the fat burning metabolism. If you body is continuously getting carbs, it doesn't have to metabolize fat often for energy needs and if you restrict carb calories slightly, the body will find a way to burn those more efficiently rather than burn fat. A fast can force your body to exercise its fat burning metabolism. I am on day three of a 3 day fast and I am not hungry at all. I feel fine.

There are studies that show an increase in metabolism during the first 36 or so hours of a fast. I am going to attempt a once a week fast of 36 hours to keep my fat burning metabolism up. This is suppose to help with bonking as well, and I do really bonk hard.
CoeyCoey

Postby baldy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:17 pm

[quote="CoeyCoey"]What is your diet like? I have found the calories in < calories burned thing does not work for me if I eat the wrong foods. I can eat less than my BMR of tofu, faux meats, nut milks, rice, bread, etc and still gain weight. However, I can eat way more raw fruits and vegetables than my BMR and lose weight. I lose the majority of my 80 pounds of weight loss eating a lot of raw fruits a vegetables. The last 5 - 10 pounds have proven to be the most difficult.

Interestingly, this weekend I attended the Raw Spirit Fest and the subject of fasting was brought up. One theory about fat loss is that you need to exercise your fat burning metabolism. The theory that "grazing" is the best way to eat might inhibit the fat burning metabolism. If you body is continuously getting carbs, it doesn't have to metabolize fat often for energy needs and if you restrict carb calories slightly, the body will find a way to burn those more efficiently rather than burn fat. A fast can force your body to exercise its fat burning metabolism. I am on day three of a 3 day fast and I am not hungry at all. I feel fine.

There are studies that show an increase in metabolism during the first 36 or so hours of a fast. I am going to attempt a once a week fast of 36 hours to keep my fat burning metabolism up. This is suppose to help with bonking as well, and I do really bonk hard.

Do you have a reference to the studies?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:21 pm

[quote]A fast can force your body to exercise its fat burning metabolism.

Ketosis is not something that is recommended or required for bounce to sort this problem out. I say this because if you go to the extent of burning fat by starvation, you are heading on a crash course with ketosis. It's not good for you, and your breath will smell. There are many healthier ways to do this.

[quote="CoeyCoey"] This is suppose to help with bonking as well, and I do really bonk hard.

I also bonk hard.
Gelert

Postby Bounce » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:51 pm

[quote="CoeyCoey"]What is your diet like?

I have chips and sweets once a week... Otherwise, it was pretty ok... I think, apart from the lack of food...

I ate a lot of salads, I only ate whole wheat bread and pasta (if at all), I sometimes had wild rice, soy mince, sprouted pulses, jacket potato muesli, fruits, veg... I maybe should eat more raw!
Bounce

Postby baldy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 pm

[quote="Bounce"][quote="CoeyCoey"]What is your diet like?

I maybe should eat more raw!

NO! First priority is to get enough calories in.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby CoeyCoey » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:55 pm

[quote="Bounce"][quote="CoeyCoey"]What is your diet like?

I have chips and sweets once a week... Otherwise, it was pretty ok... I think, apart from the lack of food...

I ate a lot of salads, I only ate whole wheat bread and pasta (if at all), I sometimes had wild rice, soy mince, sprouted pulses, jacket potato muesli, fruits, veg... I maybe should eat more raw!

Are you sure you are calorie deficient? Bread, pasta, rice, potato, are all rather high in calories.

I think you should do some more research on fasting. Fasting is NOT starvation and people who call it starvation are clueless to its benefits or even the different kinds of fasting. Do you own research and don't listen to the scare mongers who only promote Western cures.
CoeyCoey

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness