I've stopped losing weight :-(

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

I've stopped losing weight :-(

Postby Bounce » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:48 pm

The past two weeks, I have not shifted any weight on the scales and I feel angry about it.

I am the same weight now as I was at the start of the month (though I didn't go to the gym for two weeks due to being away, then due to fatigue), even though I have been going to the gym five times a week and watching what I eat.

It frightens me that I'll be stuck with a 36 inch waist :( I feel like a failure. I've only lost a stone and four pounds since April.

I am kinda wondering if it has anything to do with the fact I have started using weights and machines, but I am a woman, so can't bulk so fast...

Please help me!
Bounce

Re: I've stopped losing weight :-(

Postby tal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:09 pm

[quote="Bounce"]I've only lost a stone and four pounds since April.

[quote="Bounce"]I feel like a failure.

Does not compute.

You've lost 9kg in six months! That's a massive achievement! Certainly not a failure.

Often if you base your weight purely by the scales it can be a misrepresentation. If you take a few different measurements and track them over time you might see changes in those even if your bodyweight, or waist, stays the same.

Also it could just be water weight. Don't despair too much about it. Obviously you've been doing something right since April. Just reset yourself and keep going.
tal

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:11 pm

You might not like my advice, but I would say pick a goal that is not related to your size or weight. From your posts I cant see what kind of training you do, but for example its far easier to track your progress and set goals related to how quickly you can run 5km, (or lengths you can swim in the pool etc etc) . We also tend to be more objective with these kind of goals and it is ten times more fun than worrying about size your pants are.

Advice number two start a log, preferably here and then people will be able to offer advice and encouragement based on your training.

The only time its worth getting angry is about 5 seconds before a deadlift (or when talyn beats you in a VF challenge).
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:58 pm

THOU SHALT OBEY THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS!!!

If you eat less than you expend, you will lose weight.

If you eat more, you will gain weight.

You are in equilibrium now. That means you are a stable person.

Feel free to knock your blocks off!
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby soniczip » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:08 pm

if xkillerx didn't exist, xgodx should create him
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Konstantin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Same as above. Sounds like a good rate of weight loss, although there are more important goals. Why do you want to lose weight? If it is to run faster, see if you're running faster. If it is to look/feel better, do you?

Keep eating good food, don't cut down too much cos it doesn't work and isn't healthy. Enjoy your food and enjoy your training.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby soniczip » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:26 pm

[quote="baldy"]pick a goal that is not related to your size or weight ... start a log

best advices!
the rest will follow (losing weight, feeling better). don't give up :D
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Bounce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:24 pm

[quote="XkillerX"]

I'm currently consuming roughly around 1100-1300 calories per day... I'm 155lbs and don't really wanna cut it down much more!

I think I'll rest, just a little, until I feel myself again, then hit the gym hard.
Bounce

Postby dublin dave » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:35 pm

[quote="Bounce"][quote="XkillerX"]

I'm currently consuming roughly around 1100-1300 calories per day... I'm 155lbs and don't really wanna cut it down much more!

I think I'll rest, just a little, until I feel myself again, then hit the gym hard.

Definitely don't reduce your calories any more...a woman needs about 2000 calories per day and if you want to loose fat you should have around a 5% calorie deficit per day, any more and your body will reduce its metabolic rate and burn muscle instead of fat...
dublin dave

Postby JP » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:37 pm

[quote="Bounce"]

and when you do, maybe do something different? :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:12 pm

EEEeeekkk!!!! THAT IS STARVATION WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!

START EATING IMMEDIATELY, AND GO TO THY GYM TO LIFT SOME HEAVY FUCKING WEIGHTS!!!!
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby Gelert » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:27 pm

[quote="Bounce"]
It frightens me that I'll be stuck with a 36 inch waist :( I feel like a failure.

[quote]You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

You aren't your waist size either. There are plenty of things which can make people failures, like what they did, like, this one time in bandcamp. But your weight is *not* one of them.

As much as I like xKx's NASA sponsored thermodynamics plug, humans have a mechanism to try and cheat thermodynamics. If you ditch your calorie intake too far, your body will conserve as much of its stores of energy (i.e. fat) as it can. This is because throughout the entire story of human evolution, it is only in the last fifty years or so that periods of calorific deficiency has been something aspire to for lifestyle reasons. Before then it has been a sign of famine, plague and pestilence.

So fuel your exercise. With fuds.
Gelert

Postby baldy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:06 pm

[quote="Bounce"]

Maybe you are feeling tired because you body does not have enough energy ie food?

Hope our advice is helping you rather than over whelming you.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:15 am

Mmmh - I'm thinking some more calories might help too ... starving the body is not a good thing in general, but def not if you're going to the gym all the time. I know that only watching my weight is a bit of a lie.... when I'm putting on muscle I'll be upping my weight while losing fat - so it's not as simple as just weight.

I go for the American Pie criteria "I want to look good naked" ... :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby mabli » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:53 am

agree with all the above.

Ive just been away for a weekend of (imo) too much walking up big hills, when I put my jeans back on yesterday they were huge on me, when I weighed myself I hadnt changed at all...
mabli

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness