Efficient cardio workouts for general fitness

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Efficient cardio workouts for general fitness

Postby virago » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm not aiming for any specific goals, no running events planned or big new ideas. What I'm aiming for is a good level of all-round fitness. This has come out of being able to run 3x a week (albeit slowly) and manage 5+ miles on a run with minimal training, but feel like my heart is exploding when cycling up a steep hill.

I'm time limited (I go back to work soon after the summer break and 3x a week is optimistic once the workload increases and the 12 hour days start, training times will be thin on the ground) and endurance seems to be wired into me - I can manage a gentle 10k - so the focus is moving above the 60% heart rate zone and into something a bit tougher.

I can run, cycle & access a gym and at times a pool (depending on the number of floating, gossiping idiots in there at any time!) and variation should keep me from getting bored.

Any ideas for my irritatingly unfocused and non-specific 'goal'?
My vegan Etsy shop

[quote="Vegiburger"]The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

[quote="Clem Snide"]If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Re: Efficient cardio workouts for general fitness

Postby vegan hal » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 pm

you can check out Body Rock. i've picked up a few exercises from her to do on cardio days. plus she's not hard on the eyes. :D
vegan hal

Postby virago » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:09 am

[quote="vegan hal"] plus she's not hard on the eyes. :D

It's so good to see that women are being judged on their skills, experience and intelligence rather than their looks :roll:

Anyway, OT I'm more looking for cardio to do outside/in the gym e.g. sprints on the bike or hill work running etc. that will boost my cardio fitness.
My vegan Etsy shop

[quote="Vegiburger"]The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

[quote="Clem Snide"]If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Postby SpugFab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:30 am

I think the rowing machine meshes quite well with other forms of cardio due to the low impact and the work on the back and arms.

Not sure how exciting you'd find it, but there are lots of ways to make the workout more interesting. The concept 2 website has lots of programs and motivational stuff:

http://concept2.co.uk/training/

Plus you get to post times on the vegan rowing table :)
SpugFab

Postby virago » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 am

Good idea, I haven't played on the rower for a while and it's always something I've enjoyed.

Not sure I'm up to posting on the rowing table though :oops:
My vegan Etsy shop

virago

Postby Clem Snide » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Yeah, rowing is cool, and those routines can make it fun.

Re: cycling up hill, it's normal to feel like your heart's about to explode - it's damn hard. Try finding a hilly stretch of road and trying to climb it 2 or three times a week, working on beating best times. Once you're down with that, more complicated intervals/routines are available all over the net.
Clem Snide

Postby SpugFab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:57 pm

[quote="virago"]Not sure I'm up to posting on the rowing table though :oops:

Don't worry about that. As they say - "we're all training at the same level, our own".

Have a look at the technique articles on the website before giving it a go though. It's really pretty simple but I see a lot of guys in the gym rowing in a way that takes a lot of energy but doesn't go very fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmMd7FdAA
SpugFab

Postby virago » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

[quote="Clem Snide"]
Re: cycling up hill, it's normal to feel like your heart's about to explode - it's damn hard. Try finding a hilly stretch of road and trying to climb it 2 or three times a week, working on beating best times. Once you're down with that, more complicated intervals/routines are available all over the net.

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm at the bottom of a lot of hills so it shouldn't be too hard to find one :D

[quote="SpugFab"][quote="virago"]Not sure I'm up to posting on the rowing table though :oops:

Don't worry about that. As they say - "we're all training at the same level, our own".

Have a look at the technique articles on the website before giving it a go though. It's really pretty simple but I see a lot of guys in the gym rowing in a way that takes a lot of energy but doesn't go very fast.

My Dad used to row and he taught me how (on his homemade rowing machine consisting of a seat on runners with a handlebar attached to a spring for resistance :lol: ) and my technique is pretty good if I do say so myself.

Right, next gym session I'm going to row.
My vegan Etsy shop

virago

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness