LesMills/BTS thread: Body Combat/Attack/Balance/RPM/Jam/Pump

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

LesMills/BTS thread: Body Combat/Attack/Balance/RPM/Jam/Pump

Postby stateofflux » Fri May 14, 2010 11:04 am

Time we had a thread for these programmes methinks. I spend a fair bit of time over at Les Mills forums discussing mundane things like which trainers are best for Attack and how hellish the Shoot is, so I figured why not open up something here because there seem to be a fair few of us around the world on VF participating in the classes.

So which programmes do you do for example and what are your favourites? I do Body Combat, Body Jam, Body Attack, Body Balance and RPM. I don't do Pump, I hate it in fact but I can understand why it has a fan base. I love all the programmes I participate in and struggle most with Jam which is pretty complex for someone without a dance background.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Re: LesMills/BTS thread: Body Combat/Attack/Balance/RPM/Jam/

Postby Rach » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:17 pm

I've tried Body Pump and whilst it was okay, I didn't feel it was as thorough a work out as doing weights and cardio separately, on your own. I'd rather do my weights alone.
My gym offers pump and combat, no attack as yet. Am going to give combat a go as an alternative to spin, but those moves look like they will take time to learn. Had a look at Les Mills website the other day and googled Body combat and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive and made me think might be more fun than spin.
Rach

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:51 pm

Rach, you should definitely give combat a try. The moves are a bit tricky, but this also means you forget about the blood taste! If you do it right, this is very tough cardio training.
I also do Balance sometimes which I really enjoy, Pump occasionally although it's freaking boring.
Tried Body Jam once and liked it but the shedule hasn't worked for me, we'll see in the autumn if it will be possible. I like
dance aerobics for the same reason I like Body Combat, it's fun and you're to busy doing the choreography to think about
how tired you are!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Rach » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Cheers- will give it a go. Sounds good- think I might enjoy it more than spin which can feel a bit torturous and is dull after a while. Am definitely up for some tough cardio training with fun built in!
Rach

Postby stateofflux » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Definitely second the Combat, the current release is killing my legs- in a good way. I hope you get a good instructor, because some of them are terrible representatives! A couple weeks ago I did a class and the instructor made us do a very old release which included YMCA by the Village People, try doing Muay Thai to that :lol:

If you are lucky enough to have Jam at your gym, do try it, it's a great workout once you learn the choreography.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Lutrinae » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:35 am

I love LesMills programs, this is what I do the most at the gym!

My very favorite is Body Combat, too bad it's only one day a week! I find the new release better than the pevious one and they bring the sword back!

I also do Attack, RPM, Jam & Pump

Body Pump is the one I don't like so much, just because I enjoy cardio much more, running, jumping & co. But I do it because it's useful, to get better muscles as i find my body quit similar to marshmallow!

I did Balance long time ago but they don't do it in here. It was nice to relax after some exercise!

I just saw they have a new program called Sh'bam, did anyone try it already? It has to be some kind of dance but different to Jam.
Ce n'est pas parce que tu sais parler que tu es forcément intelligent
Lutrinae

Postby stateofflux » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:07 am

Nice to see that the LMI programmes are reaching far and wide.

I'm not sure when Sh'bam will be introduced outside of New Zealand, but I hope it's soon. Its main competitor here is Zumba which is unfortunately really, really popular and has killed off the few Body Jam classes because it's cheaper for clubs. I hate it though, so boring in comparison.

I liked the sword too, but many people thought it was silly, I guess they are the people who take themselves too seriously :wink: You must be a couple of releases behind, we are on 45 now?
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Lutrinae » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:28 am

I forgot about BodyStep!

I've heard about zumba but never tried, really boring? I thought it looked fun!
They don't do lot of freestyle classes except stretching, step, and some abs classes

We are on 45 too, it just came out here this week. Too bad peoples take themselves to seriously, you also come to have fun and relax, not only to get soaking wet ;)
I remember on 43 everybody liked the sword, and I didn't wanted to go for the 44 ahah
Lutrinae

Postby stateofflux » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:27 pm

One of my teachers refused to teach the sword track :roll: fortunately there are others who did.

I haven't done 45 yet, I've been injured and am easing back in. Is it any good?

Zumba is fun if you like latin style dance, then it's definitely worth trying it out, and it depends on the teacher. I'm just not into the music or the style so that's why it's boring for me. I prefer hip hop, street, tribal and a mixture of styles which Body Jam showcases. Also musically you'd never get dubstep in Zumba but there's been a lot in Jam which is what makes it special for me anyway :D I'm happy though of people exercise and move more so I should be so harsh!
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Lutrinae » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Yes 45 is good, and more cardio than the last one in my opinion. But lots of same moves, opposit to 44 where there was new moves from brasilian ju-jitsu, and like the jump and elbow-kick (dunno the specific terms hehe). The music is quit nice too, a remix of "because the night belongs to lovers" quit surprising!

Hope it was not a too bad injurie? And get well soon so you can practise ;)

So I bet you haven't done the last Body attack either? It's quit tiring, I couldn't breath at the end!
Lutrinae

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness