Triathalon training

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby skoptic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:25 am

Yeah - I'd agree that unless you really need a hybrid, a road bike is the way to go. I started my tri days on a steel cyclocross bike (basically a road bike with a slightly different geometry). I added some tri bars, changed the tyres to slicks and this is the bike I'll be going out on this weekend, 6 years later. This should get you through your first few years of tri, all your winter rides and group rides.

I did a race last year with a guy who'd bought a 2nd hand road bike for £20 .... it was some 70's looking Peugeot. Didn't matter what it looked like really, the man could cycle!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Kunoichi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 am

Does anyone know how fast good triathletes cycle? or in other words... what speed would be good to aim for? Thanks!
Kunoichi

Postby skoptic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:26 pm

I suppose it depends on what do you mean by a good triathlete!?

Pro's in the UK are different as they can draft in a race (bunch together) and they maintain a faster speed by sharing the workload.

I'd say somewhere between 19 - 23 mph (for 24 miles) would get you going towards a good olympic time of between 2:25 to 2:10 (for either end of those speeds). But don't forget - it's a sport of 3 disciplines and I always overtake a bunch of hardcore cyclists who have burned past me on the bike, but can't run!

That said when I started cycling 6 years ago - all I could muster was 15 or 16 mph at first, it took the whole seasons training to get me up from that, and I'm still improving year by year.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 pm

[quote="Kunoichi"]Does anyone know how fast good triathletes cycle? or in other words... what speed would be good to aim for? Thanks!

I think a better aim is to go as hard as YOU can go for for the 40km (if thats what it is) and still be able to run afterward. :P It may take you a bit to learn how to push yourself, but the only way to learn is by doing it either in intervals or steady tempo (and riding with others). Then you have to learn, thru experimenting, how hard you can ride and still run well. I'm still trying to get that right after 25 years of tri, but I'm a slow learner. :oops: Since you have plenty of time before you're doing any racing, I would not think too much about race pace for now, just get some solid training in.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Kunoichi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 pm

I tried doing a transition yesterday :D My legs felt like concrete starting off lol, and I felt so slow compared to cycling. I also got some swimming in for the first time in years... it wasn't too great but it reminds me of when I first started running. I used to go a k or so and then have towalk... and now for swimming I go 50m and have to take a break lol. Lots of room for improvement :D I've also been taking my dads 30 year old road bike out... only got an av. speed of 20k/h, but with a slightly less rusty bike I may get a better speed :P I wonder if the brand 'condor' still exists... lol
Kunoichi

Postby MikayP » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 pm

[quote="Kunoichi"]Thanks!
The only thing I'm worried about is swimming really. I love cycling and running :P

well then you're fortunate that the swim is at the start when you are fresh. also if you use a wetsuit, 95+% of people do, it is easier to swim cause it helps you float

cycling is my weakest disciple and it's where most peoples strength is. if you ever end up doing a tri don't do what i did - i never biked with anyone prior and thought that the bike portion was going to be easy (hell i learned to bike when i was a kid!), and when i saw people just fly by me I tried to keep up thinking that i would be able to. after about 1/4 through the 40k i was dead. just gotta ride your own race.

but if you were wondering i believe the fastest 112 miles in ironman hawaii last year was by chris lieto - around 4 hours 30 minutes. the fastest in 40k/24 mile races are usually around an hour, but dont worry about that really
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Previous

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness