Assistance training for Tris

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Assistance training for Tris

Postby The Duke » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:04 pm

What are your thoughts on doing something other than running, swimming, and cycling when tri training.

I'm thinking of stuff like weights, circuits, yoga, pilates, martial arts, hill walking, climbing, paddling, snakes and ladders, snap, bacarac etc.

Do any Tri athletes here do extra stuff?
The Duke

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:14 pm

I weight train. I know a lot of other triathletes around here who do yoga and other forms of exercise. However, the most successful triathletes I know (who are not yet pro) mostly stick to swimming, biking, and running. The time needed to get really good at each sport and maintain that edge takes a lot of time. Of the few pros I follow (and the one that I know), most do a bit of cross training. However, they have more time to workout and recover.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:11 am

It all depends on your goals. Swim/bike/run is pretty much all in the same plane of motion so you can get pretty unbalanced after years of just doing that, but ideally during your season and pre-season build you would stick to the main sessions. The winter can be a great time to get a bit of variety in. But this is all about fun, innit? So.... you don't want to lose the fun factor.

Core work may be important. If you get tired and get sloppy in the core your run will suffer (ie, you slouch, your hips start to rotate around and you start to shuffle), so some core work is a good idea.

Gym work: everybody has their own idea about this and trends change. I say do what you want to do but whether or not it will help you is a difficult question to answer.

Flexibility can be important to avoid injuries for some (like me) but for others it does not really matter and is a subject for debate (like everything).

Pilates: if you've got the time, money, inclination - I say go for it, but during the season it's probably easier to do some core stuff on your own and save your time for your key workouts.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby MikayP » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:48 am

i started a bit late this winter but im doin some weight training with core/legs for a few months

i kinda came into tri's cause i consider the swim/bike/run as cross training in itself. wanted to do more when i had to rest from my running days

i know some pro's that do yoga, that i follow daily, and they say it really helps.

kinda hard to make time besides the 3 disciplines + lifting so it can be tough to make other time, depending on your seriousness.

ever heard of tabata? from people that do it swear it works. its really intense, but quick
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Postby skoptic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:44 pm

[quote="MikayP"]ever heard of tabata? from people that do it swear it works. its really intense, but quick

Hmmm .. looks interesting, I'll try and give that a go soon.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby The Duke » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 am

Interesting replies. Thankyou.

What is obvious to you is not necessarily obvious to me!

I had not considered the concept of a season and that training might be different at different times of the year.
The Duke

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness