Tri advice please

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Tri advice please

Postby The Duke » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:57 am

I need some guidance on what to wear and how to change clothes!!!

My first tri is pool based and wetsuit is not needed but my other tris are open water and need a wetsuit.

So ... questions.

Non Wetsuit event ... (400,20,5)

I get out the water wet through wearing trunks. What am I meant to wear on the bike? Do I use a towel? Do I keep my trunks on? Should I put socks on?

Wetsuit event ... (1500,40,10)

What do I wear under the wetsuit?

Cycling ...

What sort of shorts should I wear on the bike? Padded. Won't they get wet?

Should I wear socks?

Running ...

Again what do I do for shorts? Do I keep padded ones on from cycling or change?

What about numbers? How do you stick them to a wetsuit?

How do I keep water out of my goggles for a whole mile?

This might seem a list of bone questions but I'm a bit confused!!

I don't mind being uncomfortable. I don't mind losing a bit of skin through chaffing. I don't mind blisters.

But all of this stuff will effect my performance and (obviously) I want to do as well as possible.

Any advice on this will be gratefully received as I am a total tri newbie!!!
The Duke

Re: Tri advice please

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:05 pm

You are asking the fundamental question on transitions (the fourth discipline) and equipment. The answer to these questions depends on 1) budget 2) comfort and 3) goals.

[quote="The Duke"]Non Wetsuit event ... (400,20,5)
I get out the water wet through wearing trunks. What am I meant to wear on the bike? Do I use a towel? Do I keep my trunks on? Should I put socks on?

For you first event, your goal should be experience. If it is an indoor tri, then the advice that follows does not apply. However, if it is an outdoor, tri, then the advice does work.

Just wear trunks. Keep a towel near your bike, and towel off there. Keep your trunks on, and put socks on too. Get comfortable, and take your time, but NEVER sit down.

[quote="The Duke"]Wetsuit event ... (1500,40,10)

What do I wear under the wetsuit?

By now, you should have more experience and you should know what your goals are.

If you have lofty goals (competing in your age group, or winning the whole race, or something like that), or if you have lots of money to toss around, then you should get something like this:

http://www.triathletesports.com/TYR-Men ... -10b13.htm

This particular suit is both a swim suit (it is cut for swimming, and has textured skin for efficiency), a biking one piece (it has a thin, quick-dry chamois), and is made for running (legs are cut for running, and the top has a zipper for heat control). I have three of these, but the cheapest run just over $100US.

I got one that says, GO VEGAN! on the butt from organic athlete. However, a friend just got me a 50% discount on a reputable retailer (can not name them here or else he might get in trouble), and if you are interested, we can email and get you a new, nice suit for 50% off.

WARNING: not all wetsuits are designed for triathlons. Most wetsuits are quite bad for swimming triathlons.

...so that is the plan if you are ambitious, or if you have money, or both. Otherwise, just put on a regular swim suit under your wetsuit. It will take you a long time to put on a padded pair of biking shorts, and they will be soaked after a swim, even with a wetsuit. Either is equally worth the try. You just have to try to see which of the two you prefer. I just went out and bought a tri-suit my first year and that was my first expense.

[quote="The Duke"]Cycling ...

What sort of shorts should I wear on the bike? Padded. Won't they get wet?

Answered above.

[quote="The Duke"]Should I wear socks?

Unless you get some quick change shoes, you should wear socks. The trick for most pros and top end amateurs is to lube up the feet with a lot of vaseline (for non-wetsuit races), or Glide.

Triathlon specific bike shoes and running shoes are ideal, but they cost a lot, and while they can make the difference between winning and loosing to a pro, do not do much for the average athlete. I have to admit, that I got a hand me down pair of each, and they have helped me compete, but that was only after the first year.

I too, can get you a 50% discount on those...

[quote="The Duke"]Running ...
Again what do I do for shorts? Do I keep padded ones on from cycling or change?

Do not change from what you wear from biking to running. Only change shoes.

[quote="The Duke"]What about numbers? How do you stick them to a wetsuit?

No one wears numbers on the wetsuit. Numbers are only expected for the biking and the running. For the running portion it is best to get a running belt that you pre-affix your number to, and clip on as you transition. For the bike portion, it is best to affix the number to the bike and helmet. Cutting down on wind resistance is usually a smart policy. For swimming, the only identification will be your colored swim cap (provided race day and color coded for each wave, or age, etc, and sometimes with a number, but often not), and permanent marker on your body indicating your race number, age, etc.

[quote="The Duke"]How do I keep water out of my goggles for a whole mile?

The key is to get goggles that fit. Second is to tighten them up. Third, put the goggle straps underneath the cap. Last, practice with the style goggles that you plan to race with.

My goggles do not leak, and I wear swedish style goggles, without any gasket, and a tiny profile. Those do not work for many people. But they work for me because I wear them all the time, and know how to make them work for me.

There are goggles designed specifically for new triathletes. However, they run at a premium. My swedish style goggles run for $5US. Newbie triathlon specific goggles run from $50 to $100.

[quote="The Duke"]I don't mind being uncomfortable. I don't mind losing a bit of skin through chaffing. I don't mind blisters.

Oh my. You are braver than me. It is quite easy to avoid chaffing and blisters. It is much more worthwhile to suffer the pain of pushing yourself to the limit, and to race with all you have got rather than blisters or chaffing. With a little prep, the only thing you will feel is the pain before the endorphins.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:56 pm

xrx pretty much said it all. Just a couple of points of difference. I would say start experimenting with your kit straight away as it can take a bit of time to find what you are happy with.

One piece suits can be ok - a lot of people use them (I have some), but they look pretty silly and they are not always the most comfortable. You might be a bit happier in tri shorts (lightweight cycle shorts with a small pad) and a tri top or just a cycle jersey. Always try your kit in training before you race in it - just in case...

Also try running w/o socks. If you are ok with it, go without them. It is much easier in transition. Putting sucks on wet feet can be a pain and slow. For Ironman I will use them, but not for anything shorter.

Sewing your number on for the ride is good, but can be a bit OTT for some races - and a race belt is very simple to use for both running and riding if allowed (usually is).

Not much use for a towel during a transition unless you plan on being slow

Anti-chafe is your friend!! Especially for a wet suit swim. For shorter races you may not need it otherwise.

When is your first race? Good luck!
Mr. Cleetus

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness