Need tip for indoor workout at home

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Need tip for indoor workout at home

Postby veganja » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi!

Now that it's too cold outside for me to be running I really need tips for exercising indoors at home. What do you do? I'd like to do something that really would get my heart rate going, like intervals. I go to the gym sometimes, but I also like to have an exercise-plan I can do totally independent on others, opening hours, and so on. That's why I run in the first place.

I have a few workout-DVDs, but they are either really boring (with hideous muzak in the background) or they don't give me as much workout as I'd like. Anyone that can recommend a workout-DVD to me? Something with quite interesting exercises, intervals or something like that, and with real music! It's so difficult when you browse Amazon to know which DVDs are good, and to know what they're really about.

I also wonder if anyone know about some website with cardio-exercises to choose from?
veganja

Re: Need tip for indoor workout at home

Postby runrevolt » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

[quote="veganja"]Hi!

it's never too cold outside for me to be running.

fixed!
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby MikayP » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:15 am

[quote="runrevolt"][quote="veganja"]Hi!

it's never too cold outside for me to be running.

fixed!

lol

but in all seriousness probably the cheapest thing around is a jump rope and that gets the heart goin good
Triathlon Coaching - http://www.PortmanCoaching.com

Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/PortmanCoaching

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/MikePortman

Strava - http://app.strava.com/athletes/mike_portman
MikayP

Postby jakkrabbit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 am

P90X! In my opinion, if you get one DVD set, that's the one. Uses muscle confusion, bodyweight exercises, some weight lifting, lots of aerobics, and yoga. People get mad ripped on it, and it works so well that I hear they're now using it for law enforcement and military.
The animal shall not be measured by man. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth. ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House
jakkrabbit

Postby erske » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Ni skåningar.. :wink:

Good winter running clothes (underställ) and something for not slipping on ice is a good investment though.. :) no need for dvds then :wink:
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby BlueRose » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:38 pm

[quote="veganja"]Hi!

Now that it's too cold outside for me to be running I really need tips for exercising indoors at home. What do you do? I'd like to do something that really would get my heart rate going, like intervals. I go to the gym sometimes, but I also like to have an exercise-plan I can do totally independent on others, opening hours, and so on. That's why I run in the first place.

I live in New England where the winters are NOT conducive to exercising outdoors. I got a great deal on an elliptical which is in my basement, and that helps. Also am a part of a yoga center.

Yoga, weights, gym equipment...all good indoorsy stuffs.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
Boston Vegan Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BostonVeganFitness/
BlueRose

Postby Konstantin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:26 pm

If you want serious cardio, try a pack of cards. Get a deck of cards and shuffle very thoroughly. Pick four exercises, eg:

Heart - Press up
Diamond - Tuck jump
Spade - 2 crunches
Club - mountain climber
Joker - 10 burpees

Take the first card. If it's the 7 of clubs, do 7 mountain climbers. If it's 4 of spades do 8 crunches. J, Q, K mean 10. Ace can be 1 or 15 (decide before you start). Pick what exercises you like and go through as fast as you can.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby JS » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:51 am

[quote="Konstantin"]If you want serious cardio, try a pack of cards. Get a deck of cards and shuffle very thoroughly. Pick four exercises, eg:

Heart - Press up
Diamond - Tuck jump
Spade - 2 crunches
Club - mountain climber
Joker - 10 burpees

Take the first card. If it's the 7 of clubs, do 7 mountain climbers. If it's 4 of spades do 8 crunches. J, Q, K mean 10. Ace can be 1 or 15 (decide before you start). Pick what exercises you like and go through as fast as you can.

I love that idea! I might give that a go myself :)

Hopefully my downstairs neighbour can cope with me bouncing about on his ceiling :)
JS

Postby james79 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:52 am

I'm doing my own indoor circuit session:

I've picked 20 exercises and wrote them each down on pieces of paper.

1. sit ups
2. half sit ups
3. press ups
4. ski sits (lean against the wall and sit on an imaginary chair)
5. leg raises (lie on back and lift legs 4-5inches off the ground)
6. squat thrusts
7. burpee (squat thrust then stand up)
8. Press up then stand up
9. Press ups with thumbs touching
10. lunges
11. backward lunges
12. crunches
13. sit ups touching alternate knees
14. step ups (if you have a small chair)
15. dorsal raises (lie on your front, lift your arms and legs off the ground for a few seconds, relax, repeat)

If you have dumbells:

16. side raises
17. bicep curls
18. tricep curls
19. front raises
20. bench press

Mix up the pieces of paper. Pick an exercise at random. Do the exercise for 30seconds. Pick up the next card. Do the exercise for 30seconds. Repeat until you have done all 20 exercises.

Have a 3min break then repeat the whole thing but do the exercises for 40seconds this time.

Finish off with 15minutes of light stretching. The whole workout takes about 1hr.
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Postby Konstantin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Non-contact boxing simulation. You need a 30 second timer with alarm (or a friend).

30 seconds of press ups
30 seconds of sit ups
30s of tuck jumps
30s burpees.

Rest 1 min

Repeat

Rest 1 min

Repeat

Finish.

Vomit (if you don't need to, you haven't been trying).

You can of course substitute any of James's numerous exercises. Note your scores if you can.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Redbeard the Scruffy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 am

[quote="jakkrabbit"]P90X! In my opinion, if you get one DVD set, that's the one. Uses muscle confusion, bodyweight exercises, some weight lifting, lots of aerobics, and yoga. People get mad ripped on it, and it works so well that I hear they're now using it for law enforcement and military.

I know a guy who's already lost 40lbs with that and it's not even been 160 days yet. It totally works.
Redbeard the Scruffy

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness