Ironman UK 70.3

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Ironman UK 70.3

Postby IronGirl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:00 pm

Pre-registered entries open for Ironman UK 70.3 tomorrow, so I need to decide fast as it will fill up quickly. Decisions Decisions!
Other options are Bala, Eastnor or The Little Woody.
IronGirl

Postby skoptic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Good work ... If you go for Wimbleball, get some bike hill training in because those hills get tough (well the 14% on the 3rd lap .. I saw a few people walking up it).

I've never done the others - but I like the look of Bala. I'm looking at a few halfs in the lead up to Double Ironman next Aug so kind of working out my season at the moment. I've seen Marshman and Swashbuckler half's .. both in May and Big Cowman in June. Nice to see so many half's in the UK calendar, eh!?

Happy training!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Seem to have a love hate thing going on with Hills. We have some good ones in Herefordshire, notably Ankerdine Hill which has an average gradient of 17%, we use this one for our hill rep sessions. Also Stanford Bank another 17% climb. All can be connected to make an interesting 40 mile loop known as the Little Mountain Time Trial which takes place in April each year. http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/hills.html
Got it penciled in for next year.
IronGirl

Re: Ironman UK 70.3

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 pm

[quote="IronGirl"]Pre-registered entries open for Ironman UK 70.3 tomorrow, so I need to decide fast as it will fill up quickly. Decisions Decisions!
Other options are Bala, Eastnor or The Little Woody.

did you do it?!?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:59 am

I've decided to do Eastnor half ironman distance triathlon at the begining of July.

I know the bike course well as my cycling club use the loop for their "hilly" time trial. When I was competing before I always thaught it would be a good course for a triathlon, so now I kinda have to do it.

The swim is in front of Eastnor castle which is quite a spectacular setting and the run in Eastnor deer park which is a beautiful place to run.

I've also decided to have a crack at qualifying for the World duathlon champs as it is in Edinburgh next September. The first qualifier is on 2nd March so its going to be a hard winter. So plans for next year are coming together. How about you?
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:24 pm

Excellent! How competitive is the Worlds Du team in the UK? Somehow I've never been inspired to do that. :P

I'm struggling a bit with my plans at the moment - fighting off hard the urge to do IM NZ (in March) or IM France in June. I will do some short course racing this summer and possibly a half or two, but nothing is motivating me right now. I trained hard thru winter this year, had an easy month and am just getting things going again. Have you thought about starting a training log?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 am

I think we have a fairly strong team overall, but it varies enormously depending on age group. I'll be going up an age group next year (Hurah!) and there are a couple of quick women in the group, one of them an ex-pro triathlete. I think we are allowed extra slots next year as we are the host nation, so I'm optimistic about getting in.

My inspiration is two-fold. I need to work on speed and this will focus my mind and secondly it's in Britain so no large travel costs.

IM France is a good race. I did Nice before "Ironman" took it over. It was the old long course format with 4k swim, 107 mile bike and a 20 mile run. The bike course is awesome with great climbs and fast descents, the run was hard as everything just looks the same all the way along the Prom d'anglais. I qualified to do it again the following year when it was the World long course, which is when I blew! I plateaued and no matter what I did I didn't improve. Then I got into a very destructive cycle of more & more and harder & harder training. I came home from a 3 hour run one day and just hung up my running shoes. That was 7 years ago. I said something would have to change and I needed fresh ideas if I was ever to start again. Things have changed, I have fresh ideas.....

Yeah I think a training log would be a good idea.
IronGirl

Postby runner » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:01 am

Ambitious goals, that's nice.

If you want to do go for the worldcup, would it not be better to put the swimming on hold for a while?

good luck!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby IronGirl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:00 pm

runner

Yeah I can see exactly what you are saying with the swimming.
I actually hate swimming pools with a vengence. I find that swimming in a pool is like doing all your running on a treadmill. This summer I did all my swimming outdoors in a lake. That's finished for the year now. I'm planning to just do one swim a week over the winter(no more than 3k) and to focus on technique in that session (Keep heart rate down, focus on the stroke, no reps). That will be enough to keep my swimming ticking over, in fact having to focus on technique should be useful and will not zap my energy for the bike and running.

I'll still have 3 months (after the World Du Qualifier)to pick it up before the Half IM.

I'm about to start writing about my goals / plans on my training log. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
IronGirl

Postby skoptic » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Wow - interesting to hear about your experience and hanging up the running shoes! Good to have you back in them :-)

Cleetus - I'd love to do IM NZ.... But I'm keeping it more local (and cheaper!) at the moment. Sorry your not inspired at the mo' - I say watch an Ironman DVD .. that always gets me right in the mood.

So I hear you on the swimming front - I've got to do 5 miles in the pool for double IM next year... so my very thoughtful girlfriend just got me a swimman waterproofed ipod for my birthday... instantly the lengths seem to slip by a lot easier :-)

Eastnor looks good for the 1/2IM - but I'm going for Cowman because it's close ... the TT you posted looks great .. but all a bit TT competitive for me - I've pencilled in the Cotswold Audax from the same site .. that looks a bit more mellow - do you do those rides too?

Looks forward to reading your log Irongirl - I might even get round to doing one myself sometime :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Interesting that you gave it away but have decided to come back. Where you doing any sport during the last years?

I am disappointed I never managed to do the real Nice - it had always been on my list of races I wanted to do, so I figure IM France is the next best. :) I did the first IM France in Gerardmer in 2001 or 2002, whichever was the first year. That was a tough race!

Swimming is great! C'mon guys!! :) It's especially great when you see how many minutes you can put on those who don't like to train it. :) Have you ever swum regularly with a squad? That can make a huge motivational difference for some. I used to not enjoy it much but after one winter of a huge focus on it my attitude completely changed and I enjoy it now.

IM NZ is a fun race. The coarse is dead boring but the atmosphere and support is better than almost any other.

My problem is actually the opposite: I am very inspired to race an IM this year, but I probably shouldnt! :P

and yeah, skoptic, start a log!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Skoptic – I’ve never done the Cotswold Audax, but it looks interesting. It’s in a really pretty part of the country. Unfortunately for me it clashes with the Mountain Meyhem Mountain Bike event. I do think some cyclo-sportifs or audaxes would be a fun way to get some miles in this summer though.

Mr Cleetus – We moved house around the time that I gave up. We bought a little smallholding in Herefordshire. I have 2 horses that have kept me busy for the past few years. No real sport for several years though!
We had a new girl start at work a couple of years ago and she started to describe the double ironman that her husband was training for. I got this tingling down my spine (You know the feeling!). I soon got fed up of saying the phrase “I used to do triathlon” and decided to do something about it.

Oops seem to have put this on the wrong thread!

Swimming – I used to train with a triathlon club, but I think the problem with a lot of triathletes is that they want to race everything, all the time. Plus they were all over the top of one another the whole time in a drafting fest. Then I got in with a group of ex-county swimmers that came down to the pool at the same time. They agreed to let me tag along at the back of their lane. They swam a balanced programme, gave me loads of advice and my swimming improved. They have all moved on now, so I guess looking for a good masters swim session might be a good way to go.

Fun – big emphasis on this for me this time round. It was my head that went before; physically I was coping (although plateauing). Hence bringing in things like cyclo-cross and mountain biking for this winter. I wouldn’t have done that before I was too purist. It would have been 3 hours on the road watching the heart rate, staying at zone 2……yawn! There are going to be times when more specific work needs to be done, but it’s too intense for me to do that the whole time.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:21 pm

[quote="IronGirl"] I got this tingling down my spine (You know the feeling!)

... so I guess looking for a good masters swim session might be a good way to go.

:) I know the feeling too well, that is the feeling I am currently trying to fight!

Yes, go for a Masters squad - they are great. My current one is about 90% non-triathletes; swimmers can be just as overly-competitive as triathletes, they just usually have better lane etiquette. :P

The fun factor is whats kept me going this many years, well, that and really do enjoy the long training. We have excellent mountain running races here throughout the winter that I usually do and I also usually switch to running with a group of runners who do mountain running training all winter long. I always look forward to that change and get inspired by it. Its a great group of pretty fast people who train hard, but there is nothing serious about it for any of them - it's all for fun.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby skoptic » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:31 pm

[quote="IronGirl"]I think the problem with a lot of triathletes is that they want to race everything, all the time. Plus they were all over the top of one another the whole time in a drafting fest.

LOL ..... That's hilarious :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness